Thread: is it a joke?

~ B A D A S S ~

is it a joke?

about a month ago i bought something from crc and when i recieved the product it was not the same product as i expected, so for the first time in my life i decieded to write a review of this said product, pointing out that its infact not the same product, and its a substantial difference.

however when checking back a few weeks ago my review had not turned up for said product, but checking back a bit later, there is a new review for this said product. basically the review says pretty much what i'm saying except the reviewer is now from another country and they somehow have made the wording of the review more favorable to the product and (its not even the same product remember) and now somehow the reviewer does not manage to write as well, making him/she look slightly uneducated and perhaps a little retarded, but somehow manages to get some things very linguistically correct.

i have a feeling crc is polishing the reviews somewhat and just simply makes up the dates, names and locations of the reviewers, i'm quite certain of this.

can anybody post some reviews of kinda unpopular products with somewhat low number of reviews (to keep it scientific and erase all doubts) that you are not very happy with or only a little happy with and dont hold back on the critique and well see if this pattern keeps repeating itself. i'm not gonna say they do this to all the reviews but i have a feeling some if not all unfavorable reviews goes through in house polishing machine.

does anyone else have similar experiences from other online retailers or possibly the same one? i feel this if a kind of fraud and should be punished. if they don't want to post the real reviews why even have a review section for the products? who is that helping exactly?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    i have a feeling crc is polishing the reviews somewhat and just simply makes up the dates, names and locations of the reviewers, i'm quite certain of this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Integrity in free opinions.

Yes,

I see this problem all the time with the product reviews I write for Bike Nashbar.

If the review is not nice, it mysteriously never appears.

It is important we have a website/forum/moderators supporting unbiased reviews of inferior products.

Nate

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NateTheGrate View Post
    Yes,

I see this problem all the time with the product reviews I write for Bike Nashbar.

If the review is not nice, it mysteriously never appears.

It is important we have a website/forum/moderators supporting unbiased reviews of inferior products.

Nate
    That happens pretty much everywhere, even amazon is known for doing that.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    i read a great article about ratings & reviews in Wired magazine a while back. Saying the oversaturation of options has almost paralyzed us and we can't make a decision without knowing what everyone else thinks first. "They added a button "Was this Review Helpful?"...so, now we're reviewing our reviews!?"

Obviously they can be somewhat helpful but unless there are hundreds, maybe thousands of reviews you need to be careful. Just come on MTBR and post a thread! Much better in my opinion.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Don't trust reviews on any site except Amazon or new egg. Mg experience w other sites are the delete negative reviews

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

Extra Crispy
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    Don't trust reviews on any site except Amazon or new egg. Mg experience w other sites are the delete negative reviews

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's
    I'm not sure I agree with the newegg bit there.

Sometimes I question how people writing newegg reviews can say their technical level/understanding is high but come across as ignorant or inept at figuring out how the product works or basic troubleshooting. Sometimes I wonder if they read the product description, reviews or even the product name before buying it. I've seen several reviews where people bad mouth a heatsink/fan that costs $15 because it can't cool their overclocked, $800 quad/hexacore processor effectively.

In any event, I look more so at forum threads for reviews, or for forums that have review sections like MTBR does, followed by website based reviews like those on newegg. If the person writing the review doesn't possess basic grammar/spelling/coherent thoughts, I generally neglect the review regardless of their rating.
    Now with eggs.