Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Jett Gear Lightning Short.

It's on sale for $42. That's a steal for a great short. I just ordered me a black pair.

Lightning Short - Closeouts
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 04-06-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I bought 4 pair, they are awesome....

mtbr member
    Omg!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Jett Gear Lightning Short.

Could they be more ugly?

mtbr member
    The black ones are very nice. And, extremely functional. I don't really like the other colors.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    OK, just got the black...i thought they were fugly and wanted to return them but between restocking fee and shipping it wasn't worth it...when I put them on they are very comfortable and don't look nearly as bad but I would caution people on buying if they have never seen them. Would rather have a pair of Enduras but these will do

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hken2 View Post
    OK, just got the black...i thought they were fugly and wanted to return them but between restocking fee and shipping it wasn't worth it...when I put them on they are very comfortable and don't look nearly as bad but I would caution people on buying if they have never seen them. Would rather have a pair of Enduras but these will do
    I think they look great. In fact I ordered the blue/black version. What size did you get?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Dirt Huffer
    I got two size large shorts if anyone wants to trade? I need a size medium. These are just a bit too big on me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    I got two size large shorts if anyone wants to trade? I need a size medium. These are just a bit too big on me.
    They come sized in inches. For example, my little ass fits in 32. What size did you get?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Dirt Huffer
    Trade size 34

For size 32

PM me.
    Last edited by AC/BC; 03-21-2013 at 07:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Could they be more ugly?
    No...!

reading comprehension wat
    These guys seem pretty slow to respond to their contact form, taking at least two days. I e-mailed Wednesday, and I wonder if it'll take until Mon or Tuesday to get a response. Should've just called...

Got to try on the short today. It doesn't come with one of those removable padded bike shorts. It's an impressively designed shell with a black mesh inner wicking liner, but it's really heavily built. It's a DH short, after all. Some details I've noticed:
    - textured nylon shell fabric is sexy
    - waist adjuster on the sides.
    - brushed and very soft inner waistband
    - really strong dual snap buttons that take a good bit of effort to pull apart (tucking your upper body tight and low while riding likely won't make the snaps come open)
    - YKK fly zipper (always high quality)
    - the "quad panel" is a really soft bit of fabric they place just above the knee on front of the short, where the top of the short would rest on your quadriceps (no sewing going across it for minimal chafing)
    - there's a lightweight hammy panel too, which I guess is like a crumple zone in case you're sitting and the back of your calves or knee pads hits it.
    - the leg opening is contoured so the front is a tiny bit longer than the back, so when you're in a pedaling position, you don't have a big gap of sexy leg flesh showing between your shorts and knee pads
    - big thick rubber armor "plates" that are rather thick on the side of the thighs and on the back, under the lumbar and above the tailbone.
    - 2 zipped leg vents near the inside inseam.
    - 2 small zipped pockets near the outside inseam that lead under the rubber armor, with a tethered super-soft lens wipe swatch in the right pocket.

The short weighs 590g, to give an idea of how heavy they are compared to XC shorts. A set of Royal Matrix short, with the inner liner removed, weighs 310g. Not sure how much weight the rubber armor adds, but the tough nylon they used for the shell is rather high quality, and to have it in this weight gives a good impression of toughness (and value).

Size 30 Dimensions: inside inseam is about 12-14" (hard to measure since the leg opening is contoured so the outside of the leg is a little longer. 23" outer inseam. 15-16" waist.

I'm this excited about the quality, before even putting it on! Now that I put them on, I find that the cut is a great fit! First thing I check is how much loose fabric there is under the crotch, worried about catching the saddle. None! It's comfortable that it's not tight feeling, yet if I touch it, I'm basically already touching flesh. Sorry for the unpleasant and vulgar picture in your mind that brought up! The inner mesh liner just barely brushes my leg standing up. The shorts come down to just the back of the knee, and the front just covers the knee slightly. Sitting down, I see how the contoured leg opening works better, with it longer up top and tapered under. Sitting down, the front comes to about 1" below my belly button and the sides are just over my hip bones, and the back of the short is relatively close to the skin, only as loose as a thumbs length; looks like they nailed that balance between too much of a contour and sticking up and having the fabric cup open with a huge gap, and not enough of a contour hanging down on the top of your ass.

I'm partial as can be, owning a white Yeti ASR5c, but I must say that these shorts are NOT UGLY. F'ing stylish IMO. At this price, there's nothing that compares, besides other Jett Gear products. I don't really have any doubt that Jett has the most nicely made shorts on the market. I feel almost like a celeb in these, because they're designed so well. I got Hornet shorts in the same size, in Black Pinstripe, on the way now.

If you're in the market for quality biking shorts that should last for years, *this* is the sale you've been waiting for. At full price, I could even justify it, but this is a steal. Roadies pay 2x this for their crotch pads and lycra. If the $50 Hornet comes with a removable liner, and it's actually a good alternative to the roadie style crotch pads and lycra, and the shell is comparable to these DH shorts, I wonder if I might call that the deal of the year.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    I have 3 pairs of Hornets. they are very well made and fit good. But, they are very thin and I feel like I'm wearing pajama shorts.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Is the black pair the black and gold version? I got the black/white/blue version. Thinking about another pair in another color, as long as it goes well my other gear.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    ^ Yes, the black Lightneing short is black and gold. The only gold part is the rubber armor on the thighs and the logo on the back is gold. In my opinion, they are very nice looking. There's not enough gold to make them look bad. And I really like the matte black material. I also have the blue/black and they are nice looking as well. I really like the pockets on these shorts, they are placed where you can put your cell phone in the pocket and ride your bike and not have the phone flopping all over the place.

I should have said earlier that the Hornet shorts are thin, but they are nice to ride in with the supplied padded underwear. I do wish the Hornets were as long as the Lightening shorts.

I have to say, I have 10 Jett Gear products now. They are all the best quality items that I own.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 03-25-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Well, sign me up for the omg club with yeti575nut, for ordering 5 shorts and 2 jerseys total from Jett! Got the Lightning shorts in 3 colors, hornet in black and grey pinstripe, a ride jersey in grey, and a lightning DH style jersey, in 2 separate orders.

Haven't tried on the grey pinstripe hornet shorts nor the lightning jersey yet, but maybe this weekend. Nicest stuff I worn, and I very much believe are worth the price. This is some serious quality!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well you had to out do me didnt ya??? LOL. The shorts I bought are great..
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post
    Well, sign me up for the omg club with yeti575nut, for ordering 5 shorts and 2 jerseys total from Jett! Got the Lightning shorts in 3 colors, hornet in black and grey pinstripe, a ride jersey in grey, and a lightning DH style jersey, in 2 separate orders.

Haven't tried on the grey pinstripe hornet shorts nor the lightning jersey yet, but maybe this weekend. Nicest stuff I worn, and I very much believe are worth the price. This is some serious quality!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    link dead

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

mtbr member
    I bought the Raptor shorts on The Clymb about 2 months ago for about $45, knew it was a great deal at the time but now realizing it was a really great deal. Real nice shorts and love the fit. Saw a guy wearing them last summer and showing off the vent zippers in the front and wanted a pair since then.

Might pick up the lightning shorts instead since they have the vents in front too.

Anyone know if the fit is pretty much the same between the raptor shorts and the lightning shorts? And they have "black/black" color but there is no color in the chart in black/black. So is that actually black and gold?

Thanks
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qdawgg View Post
    I bought the Raptor shorts on The Clymb about 2 months ago for about $45, knew it was a great deal at the time but now realizing it was a really great deal. Real nice shorts and love the fit. Saw a guy wearing them last summer and showing off the vent zippers in the front and wanted a pair since then.

Might pick up the lightning shorts instead since they have the vents in front too.

Anyone know if the fit is pretty much the same between the raptor shorts and the lightning shorts? And they have "black/black" color but there is no color in the chart in black/black. So is that actually black and gold?

Thanks
    Jett is pretty consistent with sizing. My waist is a 32 and my Lightnings are 32 and fit perfect, with regular shorts or padded shorts from my size 32 hornet shorts.

The black/black Lightnings are a really nice looking matte black, with the gold rubber pads on the front like the picture on their website, with a bigger gold, rubber logo on the back near the waist. I like the heavier material compared to the Hornet shorts, but I don't see a problem wearing these on a hot day. I have a pair of blue/black, I like those. But, I don't think I can do the red/black. Their just a little to loud for me. Both these shorts are also a very good casual short. I wear them to the office for work and around town.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Jett is pretty consistent with sizing. My waist is a 32 and my Lightnings are 32 and fit perfect, with regular shorts or padded shorts from my size 32 hornet shorts.

The black/black Lightnings are a really nice looking matte black, with the gold rubber pads on the front like the picture on their website, with a bigger gold, rubber logo on the back near the waist. I like the heavier material compared to the Hornet shorts, but I don't see a problem wearing these on a hot day. I have a pair of blue/black, I like those. But, I don't think I can do the red/black. Their just a little to loud for me. Both these shorts are also a very good casual short. I wear them to the office for work and around town.
    Hey thanks a lot for the quick reply, when does that ever happen LOL. I'm a size 32 in mtb shorts too, as long as I stay in shape so that's the root of why I was asking. If the lightnings were a little smaller a 32 wouldn't work probably and that's the biggest size they have left.

I actually think the gold is pretty cool looking and was hoping that's what the black/black color was. Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    HOLY CRAP! $15 is the cheapest shipping they have for 1 pair of shorts. Maybe I won't be buying them.

mtbr member
    $15? I think I paid $11 to So Cal. Where do you live? It'll still be worth it. Splurge a little, they're worth it.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast