Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Jenson Price match bull again.

10K views 85 replies 48 participants last post by  Shytie 
#1 · (Edited)
Jenson does it again..

http://forums.mtbr.com/where-best-deals/jenson-refuses-price-match-again-753302.html

Your recent price match request was declined for Shimano XTR Trail BR-M988 Disc Brake, Right, Rear Brake, No Rotor in the amount of $189.98. The reason for the decline will be stated below:
Sorry, we cannot match prices with Bluesky Cycling on Shimano product. Bluesky is selling OEM product without packaging (not the same as our new product) without disclosing this to the consumer. The Jenson USA item you are requesting a match on is brand new in Shimano retail packaging with USA warranty.
BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano XTR M988 IceTech Trail Disc Brake w/Adapter

Called bluesky they are selling the full retail version. Jenson's price match policy a joke. They make up ******** excuses whenever they want.

edit:

Jenson assumed it was OE. Just like they assumed the the rims were out of stock (they arrived in 3 business days) jenson refuses to price match again , and just like they assumed the eggbeater SL pedals from blusky were OE (they were full retail packaging including cleats). They make up excuses not to price match. If anyone wants proof I can give it to them I have invoiceof the rims I ordered arriving within 3 buisiness days, and I have the invoice of the eggbeaters and shots of 4 pairs of them in my basement still in their box.

What would be better is Jenson changed the wording on their price match to say "We price match most competitors, but if it's too low then we won't" I would not fault them for it. Just quit with the bull excuses it just pisses people off.

edit:

Think about it this way. A company says on their site "Price Match" yet they refuse to price match certain prices because they happen to have inside knowledge of the other businesses practices. How is the customer supposed to which are legitimate claims and which were fabricated in order to skirt their price match guaranty? The customer had no way of knowing who is telling the truth. They choose who and when to price match and customer are left guessing as to who and what to believe

See less See more
#23 ·
IMO it's silly to expect someone to price match a retail product with the price of an OEM product. It costs them more and they could easily be losing money to do so.

I've been on the other side of this with multiple verticals in ecommerce. While OEM is the same main product, it's often not just a matter of having or not having a package. It can affect the warranty you get as well as far as length of warranty, replacement/repair options, warranty shipping, and who deals with you (vendor/reseller vs. manufacturer). OEM also sometimes has less accessories (everything from screws and cables) with the product.

There may be very little differences in some products, but if that stuff is important to you, be sure and check.

#63 ·
Aside from the overreaching global comment... I do the above to avoid shipping charges and/or taxes. If I'm getting free shipping from another retailer, it would be better to order more from them. Because if I start a new order with another vendor, I might not order enough to avoid shipping charges. So if the first vendor is willing to pricematch, I'm able to get the cheapest price (or sometime the cheapest that they can do) and free shipping. Am a still "a complete moron and deserve to be treated as such"? :)

#2 ·
Honestly I'd trust Jenson over BlueSky. I've ordered from BlueSky several times and always received brand new parts but out of the original packaging. Whether or not it's a take-off part it's not being sold as a brand new part.

If Jenson won't match, try Treefort or Universal.

#6 ·
We get it, OP, you don't like Jenson. You've made this point tirelessly. Question is why you keep shopping there. Are you just dense or employed by a competitor?

That said, I recently purchased a set of XT brakes from Bluesky. They were "new" in the unused sense, but not in retail packaging. I'm pleased for my needs, but certainly see why other retailers won't price match.

#7 ·
So if they are indeed not in retail boxes.....then yes, they are OE parts....whether they were installed or not.

Jenson has every right deny the Price Match for that reason.

#11 ·
the point is that they are saying they will price match. However, that pricematch has to be apples to apples. I'm sure bluesky sells some stuff that is packaged appropriately, but they also oem takeoffs. since they don't indicate what you're getting, Jenson can't pricematch apples to apples. I agree with their decision based on that. If bluesky indicated oem takeoff or new in package, then you have a right to be upset.

btw, I prefer pricepoint to jenson. :)

-joel

#13 ·
Because when you price match it is done on a level playing field. Price matching OEM against retailers that are doing nothing more than parting out bikes is a sure way to put yourself out of business. Why do you think they offer parts without OEM packaging? Get a fcuking clue.

#18 ·
#24 ·
I recently went through this and called bluesky about the OEM statement and was told that everything they sell is under manufacturer warranty unless otherwise noted. Any truth to this?

I also will note that the item I was attempting to pm was $89 at Jenson and $79 at bluesky but bluesky charged $10 shipping so really Jenson was already pm'd.

Anyone know what blueskys policy on pm is since I found the same item for $68 at crc, and Jenson won't match them either?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

#26 ·
I don't know every company's policy on OE product, but I know Shimano's is that it's the retailer's or manufacturer's (Giant, Trek, Spec) responsibility and not them. If you buy a new bike and brakes crap out, you deal with the frame manufacturer, not Shimano. So yeah, OE is a big factor and I can definitely see why Jenson won't PM it. You're not even close to comparing the same things at that point. Yeah, it might be the same part, but with warranty considerations in there, it changes the game to me.

#27 · (Edited)
Jenson assumed it was OE. Just like they assumed the the rims were out of stock (they arrived in 3 business days) http://forums.mtbr.com/where-best-deals/jenson-refuses-price-match-again-753302.html , and just like they assumed the eggbeater SL pedals from blusky were OE (they were full retail packaging including cleats). They make up excuses not to price match. If anyone wants proof I can give it to them I have invoiceof the rims I ordered arriving within 3 buisiness days, and I have the invoice of the eggbeaters and shots of 4 pairs of them in my basement still in their box.

What would be better is Jenson changed the wording on their price match to say "We price match most competitors, but if it's too low then we won't" I would not fault them for it. Just quit with the bull excuses it just pisses people off.

#32 ·
I'd ASSUME it too, considering how little BSC sells that is truly new in box product. OEM product is not the same, no matter how you try to sugar coat it. You have it out for Jenson and any time you don't get exactly what you want, you pull out your whiny entitled little jackass act and try to slam them online. I doubt you know much of jack about how a small business works and what it takes to put food on the table. BSC plays underhanded little games on their page and does not advertise honestly in any way. Yeah, you can say I have it out for them, because they ripped me years ago with a product that malfunctioned and would have been warrantied had it not been OEM, but I've dealt with tons of online shops and all the others are pretty explicit in saying OEM/OE/Take-off, etc. BSC is the only one I know that tries to hide it.

#34 ·
It pisses you off. Almost everyone else has the ability to reason this out for themselves. You on the other hand are having trouble with sorting this out, even with all these kind, generous people attempting to guide you, show you the error of your ways. Einstein had something to say about actions of these types.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

Article Source: Einstein - Definition of Insanity

#51 ·
"Guaranteed price match" is misleading and blatantly false..
I don't see anywhere that states "guaranteed". Either way, it was always my understanding that a price match is for identical items. This is like trying to get a store to sell you a new boxed television for the price of the discounted floor model. Sure, nobody has owned the floor model, but, its not exactly new either. Not the same thing.

#41 · (Edited)
Think about it this way. A company says on their site "Price Match" yet they refuse to price match certain prices because they happen to have inside knowledge of the other businesses practices. How is the customer supposed to which are legitimate claims and which were fabricated in order to skirt their price match guaranty? The customer had no way of knowing who is telling the truth. They choose who and when to price match and customer are left guessing as to who and what to believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.