Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I estimate that I've saved over 300 bucks using Jenson's price match. Saved 75 on a fork, 60 on a crankset that is guaranteed for *life*, and lots of little 10's, 15's and 25's here and there. I know that if I find a lower price on the SAME EXACT, in stock item somewhere else, Jenson's will match it - never had them say no. If I'm too busy to go get something and I don't need it ASAP, I just have them ship it to me - here in a day or two and their free shipping starts at 50 bucks. Just saved 24 bucks on a Weirwolf TCS - 45 bucks. Jenson's is my go to place - literally; they're right down the road, so they're also my LBS. Their Riverside place is kinda neat too, Just a little office with a couple of bikes, a few tires and computer terminals for looking items up. You give 'em your part numbers and they go to the warehouse and grab your parts. I've gotten a couple of warehouse tours as well - their warehouse is amazingly large. I've never had a bad experience with them (probably 30+ transactions, at least 10-15 price matches), and I know that if I I did, they would bend over backward to fix it.

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

OEM XT brakes versus retail?

So...other than the packaging, is there any difference between the XT disc brakes Blue Sky sells and other places like Jenson? Is this just a packaging issue or is the product actually different?

Personally I am all for cheaper prices and less packaging, as long as the product is the same.

GAME ON!
    generally it's just packaging but i suppose it can really be any number of differences.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Trail Ninja
    JensonUSA priced matched a few things for me from outlet stores where they were probably losing money on things or the margin was super small. I remember PM'ing an outlet clearance sale from Department of Goods and they honored it, though they told me not to share the PM code (was their old website). I'm a local who rides with them, so could have been someone who knew me and hooked me up at risk of endangering their job.

Just for theory testing purposes, I'm gonna try PMing this store:

CamelBak Charge LR 70 oz. Peat - 6pm.com

6pm.com Reviews - 6pm.com Ratings at ResellerRatings (poor rep, consistent and recent reviews implying that there's some spotty warehouse picking accuracy)

On top of the online store's poor rep, this Camelbak is priced so low that margins would be razor thin, if they were making money at all, according to an inside source who can purchase these at cost through their employee discount (who couldn't say exactly how much it costs them). Should have official reply tomorrow. What do you guys think, JensonUSA will approve or reject?

I assume JensonUSA can pull their "authorized dealer" flag on it, as this shop claims to buy out stock from authorized dealers and manufacturers, and probably isn't one. I know TreeFortBikes and other semi-auto PMs can auto-reject for prices that are too low. I suppose they can make an exception too, using that catch-all they have, saying PM terms can change at any time. I'd be more surprised if they do match it, though people could reason it's a "bro deal" and prob a rare exception.

Some may ask, why not just order from 6pm? Uh, did you see those reviews and all the "value added" services JensonUSA adds on to all purchases made through them? Hard to put a value on them, but they definitely cost something to have employees supporting 'em, like warranty services and having enough warehouse workers to get things out on a tight schedule.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 01-06-2013 at 08:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kmc View Post
    So...other than the packaging, is there any difference between the XT disc brakes Blue Sky sells and other places like Jenson? Is this just a packaging issue or is the product actually different?

Personally I am all for cheaper prices and less packaging, as long as the product is the same.
    I believe it's packaging and supplies. You miss out on the various plastics that shimano ships their brakes with (pad spreaders, bleed tools) as well as brass olives and barbs, but I think the big miss is that it SOUNDS LIKE the retail versions come with both resin and metal FINNED pads, and the OEM versions come with "maybe metal" non-finned pads. The difference is supposedly minor, but if you buy them separately, it's $40 more.

Trail Ninja
    Don't think shimano retail brakes are any diff from OEM, besides the packaging. They both come in versions with and without IceTech pads. Shimano doesn't include adapters and rotors with retail either, as they want ya to buy them separately to suit your bike and your riding.

I know SRAM OEM brakes might not come with the olive nuts parts for shortening the hose properly, nor rotor, nor adapters, while their retail kits do. I know OEM cranks don't come with BBs included. In general, OE parts are diff from retail. I think the warranty may limited too, and is up to the seller, rather than direct with Shimano or just any authorized Shimano dealer. What if BlueSky isn't dedicating anyone to be a warranty rep for Shimano and other vendors? JensonUSA definitely has one, as I've been in their HQ. Take an OE part for warranty to a bike shop and they'll ask for proof of purchase maybe... and if it's not retail or something they sold, maybe they won't spare their man power to handle your case and just say take it to where you bought it.

Was chatting with Jenson guys earlier and they were talking about how they bought warehouse stock that included this Shimano stuff, and earlier it was new old stock from Easton (maybe those non 31.8mm riser Monkeylite bars, etc). They were stacking Shimano stuff up to the ceiling, in a warehouse that's not near full capacity.

Trail Ninja
    Oh, and surprise surprise:

This is prob like $5 over what it costs them to buy, not counting freight and overhead.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Use your LBS and you'll have the service that you expect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnek View Post
    Use your LBS and you'll have the service that you expect.
    If you mean overpriced with attitude then you are correct.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Not that crap again...yeah, if you were to buy a retail packaged XT brake, if it didn't take three weeks for them to get it to you, you'd spend $80 a side more than we are, if they ONLY price it at MSRP. I could buy the stuff online, take it to them, and have them install it for less than $160, then everybody is happy.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    What if you don't have a LBS? I grew up where the closest shop to me was 200 miles.

Shimano's OE policy is that the manufacturer (since OE is supposed to be going on a complete bike) is responsible for warranty. So, if you buy from BSC, the warranty would be through them, not Shimano. I'll pay a bit more for a warranty than I would to have to deal with a customer service guy at a shop.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4