Huckin' trails

Jagwire Cable&hose kit

I just order a set from them... red to match my bike, but they got plenty other colors in stock... can also get them by bidding...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2511wt_1114

Looks pretty good to me for the price... just have to wait, because it's not the fastest shipping out there...

2.5m rear brake housing let me plenty of room to also have housing for the front brake (f&r cable provided, but only rear brake and rear derailleur housing provided), plus the connector ends and ferrules...

I will run them full housing.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    how long is the shipping on this? i just ordered a ripcord derailleur kit and brake kit from Jenson and it was like $50 total. is this the exact same thing, just no shifter cables? if so, I guess I'll cancel my order......

Huckin' trails
    The shipping is about a month, because it's air mail from China... 20 to 25 days I think...

I've check and if I buy them now, the estimate delivery for East Coast Maryland is between 9 and 22 of august... I've order them on july 14th, so I'm not hoping them to arrive before the 3 of august.

But this match my needs, as I already had my new shifters with cables included. They came in 2 days ago instead of yesterday They took 2 days instead of 3-5 like the estimate was (they were from LA).

Untill I get the cables, I went to Walmart buy a basic cable and housing kit (both cable and housing for brakes and shifters) for less then $5... not the best, but it do the job until I get the real thing.

This is the same thing, but I think that Ripcord or Hyper might be a little better, as I don't know if the one I got were pre-stretched... But for the price, you can't go wrong. Just have to wait. But maybe you can arrange a faster shipping with the seller ?

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    i really dont feel like waiting that long. ill proabbly do it next time from somewhere like this, but I need new cables and housing badly. i wonder how the quality compares to the official Ripcord kits....

Huckin' trails
    I will let you know when I get them.

David

mtbr member
    For 13 bucks with free shipping they are definitely worth checking out, gonna get some myself, thx for the link

Huckin' trails
    Welcome

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You guys do realize that this is not really Jagwire right? I have used a set of these, and they are obvisouly counterfits and the quality is lower when compared side by side with a real Jagwire kit. They are however still very nice for the price.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    I use Jawirer racer kits. Be careful with length of housing. They don't supply enough if going fully housed. I just ran into that with my road bike which has internal housing. I emailed Jagwire and they admintted that they don't supply enough because not everybody uses full housing, thus would cost them more. They priority mailed me more housing but my bike was laid up for three days. Not cool with that at all.

Huckin' trails
    I've check for the housing length I needed and I'm ok. At least for this set of cables&housing.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    You guys do realize that this is not really Jagwire right?
    Kinda obvious from the label that says "w/ jagwire logo". Guess you can get whatever you want on it if you buy enough. Maybe they'll do a set for me that says "jizzwire"

Theres plenty of cheap bulk housing available in the US, no sense waiting a month.

mtbr member
    I got my ripcord kit for $24.99, threw something else into the cart that i needed with free shipping, used the bikebling 10% off.... I just couldn't see waiting an entire month for something and getting cheap parts for saving $10, jus get the real stuff, or get jagwire housing only kits, spray paint your cables, idk

Huckin' trails
    Well, I just received it today, exactly on the earlier delivery date estimated and the one I received where not counterfeit... They where in a OEM Jagwire bag and I installed them today and they are REALLY nice for the price... The bag was sealed with the Jagwire logo and name printed on the bag, not like the gross sticker one in the pics...

But I'm still looking for Jizzwire housing. Anyone ?

David
    Last edited by David C; 08-03-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Pic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Well, I just received it today, exactly on the earlier delivery date estimated and the one I received where not counterfeit... They where in a OEM Jagwire bag and I installed them today and they are REALLY nice for the price... The bag was sealed with the Jagwire logo and name printed on the bag, not like the gross sticker one in the pics...

But I'm still looking for Jizzwire housing. Anyone ?

David
    Just because it comes in a bag that has Jagwire printed on it does not mean it is real. Jagwire does not come with brake cables with dual ends for road or mountain. It also comes with metal end caps, not plastic. Install it on your bike, and then in a year take a look at the housing. The metal in the housing will be rusted, and then you will know it is not real. Jagwire is made with stainless steel and does not rust. Or you could just compare it to some real Jagwire and you will quickly see that the logos are slightly different.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ripcord kits are a substantial upgrade from this kit pictured. Has the L3 housing, Teflon cables, allow end caps, and nosed end caps with sealing liner for a nearly closed system without the drag. Totally worth the extra $$ for me. FYI, stay away from the Clark kits as their housing is like sandpaper and destroys the finish in one ride.

mtbr member
    i bought Ripcord derailleur and brake kits. Jenson price matched them to a total of like $45 + shipping. Slapped them on the other day and they look and feel great. the only problem is the cable stops on my Superlight are a little too small for the rear brake line end caps. It fits, barely, but the cap doesnt sit in the stops completely, and the cable going into the first stop gets a little sideways sometimes. Any ideas on fixing this?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    one I received where not counterfeit...
    Its an ok kit of generic cheap housing for an ok price. You can't even buy bulk housing off a roll at a shop for the price. But, its not jagwire. Its not even the lower end jagwire housing that comes in bulk rolls. I can tell from just looking at how the logo is printed on it that its fake. And they don't even make inner brake cables that look like that.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Its an ok kit of generic cheap housing for an ok price. You can't even buy bulk housing off a roll at a shop for the price. But, its not jagwire. Its not even the lower end jagwire housing that comes in bulk rolls. I can tell from just looking at how the logo is printed on it that its fake. And they don't even make inner brake cables that look like that.
    They are maybe manufactured for other market, such as Asia, Africa, etc... But anyway, I'm really happy with them and for the price, I'm not really worry about being counterfeit.

As long as it work better then those cheap Walmart cables, I'm happy and they are red and match.

Here's how it look on my bike. I installed them yesterday, test ride them today and after a 1h30 ride, they still going on nice and smooth... The BB7 at the back feel like butter, almost like if I had nothing tied to the brake lever

So I will see how they go for the next 3 weeks, since I will be right in front of the ocean, so if there is any corrosion issues, I will let you know.

See ya,

David

Huckin' trails
    Allright...

Since I've installed them, I did more then 50 miles of daily dusty, dry/wet, sandy, salty, hot trail, and using them for braking and shifting for about 90% of the time and they are still bright shiny, and more important, still working fine and smooth... And this is without any lube or cleaning since. So in my honest opinion, I made a good deal on a product that was right for me. I'm very satisfy with it and if I had use them as stock on a new bike, I would not be able to believe that I could paid $13 for them...

Now, If you think that they are not genuine Jagwire product, I do not mind. Beside the logo, I think that they are great quality housing and cable and that they should not be consider as crap (at least for now).

About those plastic end cap, I find them great, even more because they wont rust and they have a great look and they won't harm the finish on my other braking/shifting component. They do not have to be clamp, they just lock themselves in place by friction and are easy to remove for cleaning (if you ever need to clean, i do not have for now). The cables were very nice and if they ever untwist when cutting them, you just have to get them back in place and they just go back to there original twist and stay there.

The Jagwire logo can be rubbed off if you are really trying too, but they are embossed and its only the chrome color that will fade. Other wise, I did not saw any sun color fading or housing getting crispy and baked by the sun. The bike is exposed to the sun all day long and they hold on perfectly.

So if you are looking for new housing for an entry level mtb or you are on a tight budget for a new build, then I would recommend them, for this price, you can always get a new kit for less then a "real" Jagwire kit and you also have the choice of color. If you are looking for new housing and cable replacement for your nice MTB and you have the budget, then you can always get the "real" Jagwire kit, in black or white.

I'm on a tight budget for my build of my new entry level mtb and they fit my needs exactly. I also have a nice freeride bike and the stock full housing on it feel as good. So I think I can take the money I saved there and get myself a RaceFace Deus seat post, in black and red too.

But if you really want me to test this to the max, I will buy a second kit for my winter bike that I ride every day up in Montreal, Canada, wether the weather is good or totally nasty. I will run them full housing, as I did and we will see what they really worth.

Have fun,

David

Huckin' trails
    Ok, so its been a few weeks now (well, more then a month) of riding in dry/wet/moist/dusty/muddy/sand/hot/chilly/salty/funny conditions and I have a few thing to say :

First, the feeling is as smooth as it was on day 1. No cable or housing stretch/compression at any level that would have require any adjustments (so its in the 'norms').

Second, no rust, corrosion or deterioration of the cables, housing and ferrules (and end cap). Only have to say that the plastic ferrule at my barrel adjuster for the rear brake lever has some rub from the cable, but nothing affecting the performances.

Third, the housing of the rear brake have been damage in the portion running under the top tube, because when I've installed the bike on the rack for the trip back home (600 miles of highway), the housing got pinch by a bolt, and I didn't notice it, so after 10h of road, the housing red cover has opened, but the metal section is intact. A quick fix with electrical tape and no problem.

Fourth, the logos are fading if rubbed and no, I've closely checked, they are not the "exact" Jagwire logo, well, not different, but simply not as precise as showed on a screen.

Fifth, the color is holding good for the housing, plastic ferrules are ok (nothing wrong about the fact they are plastic), and the housing is kinda flexy/soft, well, more then standard housing that I've worked with, so for me its a big plus for running full housing, as its easier to give it a shape to remove stress on housing ends, so remove cable friction.

Sixth, I'm buying another set in black (or maybe white ?) for my winter bike, that I will also run full housing.

And a small follow up...

Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Kinda obvious from the label that says "w/ jagwire logo". Guess you can get whatever you want on it if you buy enough. Maybe they'll do a set for me that says "jizzwire"
    Well sir...

You ask, I deliver.

David

Huckin' trails
    I got the other kits today

2 kits in grey color, I'd figured out it would be better looking then plain black and less dirty then white.

So far so good with my red kit, got more then 600 km on it and still feels great.

So I came to the decision that about any cable/housing kits I'll buy for my winter bike won't make it in perfect shape for 2 winters in a row, so why spend much money anyways (well, for me) on expensive kits (expensive being $15 and up for brake kit only) while I can simply pay $13 shipped to my door and get a whole new kit for my next build next year ?

But I guess winter will really show the limits of this kit. I'll keep you updated on how it goes

Btw, I've ordered 2 kits, one for me and one for my brother who's also gonna do a full winter commute, so I'm gonna be able to compared wear by different factors such as maintenance by the user and setup quality, since he's gonna have to take care of his bike now

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jagwire Cable&hose kit-imageuploadedbytapatalk1321416504.929762.jpg  

Jagwire Cable&hose kit-imageuploadedbytapatalk1321416551.195421.jpg  

Jagwire Cable&hose kit-imageuploadedbytapatalk1321416586.778923.jpg  

Jagwire Cable&hose kit-imageuploadedbytapatalk1321416610.980108.jpg