Is dang happy!

Insane tube deal, 29er/26/road, 4 for $2

I just ordered a lifetime supply of 29er tubes (slowly converting all my bikes to tubless).
    Competivie Cyclist is blowing out Cutter Products and has tubes, SS chains and a decent saddle/lock on grip deal going on.
    Last edited by Mr. Doom; 05-10-2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: raod?
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    I just ordered a lifetime supply of 29er tubes (slowly converting all my bikes to tubless).
    Competivie Cyclist is blowing out Cutter Products and has tubes, SS chains and a decent saddle/lock on grip deal going on.
    Great deal on the tubes if they hold up well. Got lots to cover all the bikes around the house. $8 shipping kinda bites hard if you were only ordering 1 or 2 packs.

mtbr member
    Reviews are so-so on these.

Cutter Premium MTB Tubes - 4 Pack | Backcountry.com

Plus the deal isn't all that great if you count shipping on 1 pack. I don't need a lifetime supply of tubes to have them rot on my garage shelf. For comparison, my last trip to Performance Bike yielded in 5 schrader 2.1-2-5 tubes for only $15. I go through maybe 1 tube a season on my other bike, my main bike is tubeless. Plus with a standard tube inside, I much rather prefer airing up a schrader valve since it doesn't move around as much in my DH wheelset. I've damaged quite a few of presta valve tubes from PB on the trail doing a quick flat change.

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Reviews are so-so on these.

Cutter Premium MTB Tubes - 4 Pack | Backcountry.com

Plus the deal isn't all that great if you count shipping on 1 pack. I don't need a lifetime supply of tubes to have them rot on my garage shelf. For comparison, my last trip to Performance Bike yielded in 5 schrader 2.1-2-5 tubes for only $15. I go through maybe 1 tube a season on my other bike, my main bike is tubeless. Plus with a standard tube inside, I much rather prefer airing up a schrader valve since it doesn't move around as much in my DH wheelset. I've damaged quite a few of presta valve tubes from PB on the trail doing a quick flat change.
    I will test them out when they get here. I have never noticed much of a difference between brands of tubes and just assumed most are made in the same Chinese mega factory. If the tubes are kept in a cool location I doubt they will suffer any "tube rot".

Free shipping on orders over $50 is nice.

Trail Ninja
    ^ tubes actually vary quite a bit quality. It's not simple and easy to get uniformity in a tube all the way around, uniform in thickness, shape, and weight on a consistent mass-produced basis. The rubber isn't perfectly air tight either; it's porous, with thickness being a major factor in how well it holds air. How they insert the valve and the quality of the valve matters too. There are steps that premium brands put in to ensure QA, such as actually inflating them and seeing how they balloon up and if they hold air for 24 hours. If it balloons up with tumor-like bulges, that shows that the material is thinner in that area. I'd say something about possible balance issues in tubes, but people stuff slime and other sealant in their tubes that f-s up balance too, and bike wheels tend to be large, heavy, and don't spin at high enough RPMs for that to matter all that much. What if the rejects don't end up at the landfill, due to someone finding that to be a waste? Can only wonder/speculate about what happens to them. Discount brands may skip such QA steps to decrease production costs and increase yield. You pay for logistics, labor, machine/equipment time, and yield rates more than anything with tubes (like valve stem or rubber), with higher quality lighter tubes being held to more stringent standards and quality checks.

Tube rot happens when rubber is exposed to air. Elements in the air causes the outside layer to harden and become brittle, causing micro fractures which further weaken the tube. Ex. ozone cracking.

If you believe that all those poor reviews are maybe just some coincidence... worst case scenario, you have a supply of oversized rubber bands and can maybe start your own recycling project, making the tubes into something useful which doesn't involve holding air.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'll pick up a few, I only carry tubes as spares and all I need is something to get me home.

Is dang happy!
    Tubes came today and I tested 8 of them under water. No pinholes and they smell like rubber.
    If they suck I will probably not send them back even though they tell you to do so on the package.

Insane tube deal, 29er/26/road, 4 for -dscf9313.jpg

Honestly they look like any other tube I have used over the last thirty years, for ten of those years I was worked in bike shops so I know what tube rot and any other malady that happens to them is, If they start to split at the seems or fail in any other way I will be out $25 for 52 tubes.
    Insane tube deal, 29er/26/road, 4 for -2013-05-14_16-10-08_95.jpg

Insane tube deal, 29er/26/road, 4 for -dscf9314.jpg

The Cutter MTB seat is a decent Velo model, lock on grips may need a mod to "really" lock on to the bar but for $12 I am not complaining.Insane tube deal, 29er/26/road, 4 for -dscf9320.jpg
    Insane tube deal, 29er/26/road, 4 for -dscf9318.jpg
    Insane tube deal, 29er/26/road, 4 for -dscf9324.jpg

mtbr member
    I find that the very cheap tubes that you can get from the discount dollar stores often develop pin hole punctures over time. They usually occur on a seam, but no always. My son bought a set of wheels, tyres and tuses for $50 and had regular problems with the tubes.

Tim

Is dang happy!
    I have never seen dollar store tubes, (doubt they have presta), but the $5 tubes they sell at wallmart are no different than the ones I sold at the LBS for $5 .
    I have rarely seen a tube develop pinholes without the help of thorns/wires or bad rim strips (common on department store bikes) but even the higher end ones from Specialized/Bontrager will occasionally be bad out of the box. Old tubes have a higher rate of splitting at the seams and my $ ultralight tubes seem to end up with way more patches from snakebites but having changed an estimated 4000 tubes in the shop I just never noticed a higher rate of failure from any particular brand.

I will note that the valve stems are a bit longer than normal which can make them more prone to being damaged.
    Last edited by Mr. Doom; 05-16-2013 at 11:08 AM.