mtbr member

Inexpensive slick wheels for a mountain bike (26" or 29") [need help finding!]

I just took advantage of this deal (kind of, I $452 to get $552 worth of stuff that included the Shimano drive train) and after I finish replacing my existing 26" drive train with the new Shimano set, I'm going to have an extra 11-34T cassette.

Both my 26" and 29" bike rear cassettes are 11-34T, 27 speed bikes with quick fork lockout, so I'm hoping to finally follow (many) people's advice and get a pair of cheap slick tires that I can swap out when I'm just riding on the road. I'm thinking I'd picking up 29" tires, as the 44:11 ratio is the same on both bikes, and I definitely find myself wishing I had a higher gear for some road riding, but if the price difference is huge, 26" is fine.

Anyway, multiple people have recommend I pick up a pair of wheels inexpensive slick tires, and I want to know, where are inexpensive wheels with slick tires that would work with either of my bikes? I haven't had much luck in finding any.

(I'm not opposed to buying multiple parts, but I'd prefer to buy the wheel/tube/tire as a set for simplicity's sake)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would pick up some good used wheels. Definitely buy Specialized Fat Boy 1.25" tires for your 26" setup. The tires take 100PSI & I would say are the fastest tire I've ever had on my MTB. When I was young in the early 90's & swapped back & forth, those Fat Boys were great. I could keep pace with buddies on semi road bikes most of the time & had them up over 45MPH once on a DH. Now, I can just have 2 bikes...

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    I have a hard tail I built just for doing road rides a couple-a-few times a week while maintaining the same ergos as my squishy bike. I put a set of Kenda Kross Plus tires on it and crank them up to 60 psi. They're awesome! They have a nice meaty tread on the corners for riding loose gravely dirt roads that I encounter on my loops but you'd never know it was there on paved surfaces. They get rave 5 star reviews for good reason.

And they're CHEAP! $19 at JensonUSA

Kenda Kross Plus Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop