mtbr member

Importing frame to uk from usa....taxes

Hi can anyone let me know what i will have to pay in duties and VAT, if i buy an American built frame into the UK?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I used to work in international shipping and the short answer is yes..They will hit you for VAT and duites..we used to discount the value of some items to under the UK pound amount to avoid this. BUT it is your legal responsibility as the receiver of the goods to make sure everything is correct.

mtbr member
    Do you know what the tariffs are, more or less?
    Do they use the anti dumping tax at 45% likethey do against china?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    VAT is the easy one - 20%. Duty is separate and there's a huge document which can be found somewhere online which lists every category of thing you might ever import and what the rate is. For some things it's zero. As a wild guess maybe 5-10%? You'd have to search.

Now the really annoying thing is that these percentages will be applied to the order total including shipping, and the shipping company might add a "customs processing fee" of 10-20 even though it should be part of the service you already paid for.

All that added up, it can still be worthwhile importing, but the saving is a lot smaller than it initially looks.

Mulleticious

Just been looking into this myself...

The import duty will be an additional amount of 14% (over and above the 20% VAT) if it is a bike coming from the US. I am sure it is the same for a bike frame. Anti-dumping charges only apply on bikes from China and Turkey at the moment.

You will also pay a handling fee of around 15 at the UK end.

Note that HMRC will add the cost of shipping and insurance to the value, and calculate the VAT and duty on the total amount.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the information, a great help, thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Cabbage, I remember (from watching top gear) that the UK had a program that allowed your employer to buy you a bike income tax and VAT tax free and just take it out of your pay. I don't know if they still have the program though.

mtbr member
    Yes thats still going, unfortunatley i live in spain, i will get the bike to the uk then send it on to me here. Spanish system is very slow and involves lots of paperwork.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbgage View Post
    Thanks for the information, a great help, thanks.
    No problem (you can rep me if you want... ).

I'm thinking of importing a Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc to get it slightly cheaper than I can here, but it's still going to be darned expensive so I need to save up first...!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerfrater1 View Post
    No problem (you can rep me if you want... ).

I'm thinking of importing a Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc to get it slightly cheaper than I can here, but it's still going to be darned expensive so I need to save up first...!
    Also check with your US bike source that they can send to the UK. For example, Santa cruz dealers in the US can not sell to France because France has an official importer. This may be the case for the UK.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by moclan View Post
    Also check with your US bike source that they can send to the UK. For example, Santa cruz dealers in the US can not sell to France because France has an official importer. This may be the case for the UK.
    I'm sure this is the case, but I was thinking of fetching one, in the unlikely event I happen to be in the US (need to try to organise a visit either on business or holiday...)

mtbr member
    I want to import an Orange bike to the USA...does anybody knows if there are any duty taxes to be payed...where can I find this info...I will appreciate any help

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Orange bike to US

Chamua
    I purchased an 07 Orange 5 Pro. from Swinnerton Cycles in late 06.
    They sold it to me for msrp - VAT (17.5% at the time) and shipped it UPS to Oklahoma for 40 pounds (around 75 US dollars) no hidden fees, taxes or duties. They were the only shop willing to deal with me at the time. I dont think they carry Orange anymore but you could contact them. My transaction went smooth as silk no complaints here. I didnt really worry about all that BS with taxes and duties but things may have changed.
    If you were looking for a clean 5 frame in an 18 I could probably help you
    hope this helps
    Cornbrad