Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8

    Ibex Sale, some very good deals to be had

    As I professed in another thread a few days ago, I'm brand new to MTB. I'm just getting into it for fitness/exercise. I may not know my a$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to all the variables in a good MTB, but I think I've researched enough to know a good deal when I find it.

    I just bought an Ibex Alpine 450 new from Ibex with Marzocchi fork, Alivio/Deore, Aluminum frame, etc. for $339. They're having a great sale right now on their '04 stuff and I think there are other great deals to be had on their website. The 450 may not be as sweet as some of the $1000+ bikes many of the people here have but it appears to be a great entry-level bike. If your in the market for a MTB, you probably ought to check them out for comparison at least.

    I didn't get any special consideration for these comments but I thought someone else here may can benefit from the information. If anyone's interested, I'll post a brief review of the thing after I go pick it up.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtpaws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    571
    They have a good price right now on their 5" trail frame, the Apogee for $599 with a Manitou Swinger rear shock.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

  3. #3
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,676
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpaws
    They have a good price right now on their 5" trail frame, the Apogee for $599 with a Manitou Swinger rear shock.

    Yup... I almost cried when I realized I will not have funds to get one until next year!!!
    Check my Site

  4. #4
    Bush Suppoter W'04
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15
    I just bought a Ibex Alpine 450 also. It seemed to have the best components for the money. I have only heard good things about Ibex bikes, so we will see. Hopefully mine will come in tomorrow and I can post up a review too.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    22

    Something to consider when buying Ibex

    Just something to consider.

    Be very carefully when considering Ibex bicycles.

    If you inted to "ride stairs" with this bike, Ibex informed me they will not warranty the bike or even sell the bike for that matter. Ibex considers this "intending to abusing the bike".

    Even after informing Ibex I simply wanted a bike that could handle "light trails, rock trails, city \ country roads, city curbs, and going down steps." Ibex still refused to sell the bike.

    I checked with a local dealer who informed me the bikes (Giant line) he was selling were covered by warranty even if I intended to take the bike down a set of steps.

  6. #6
    it's....
    Reputation: Strafer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,905
    Again, you need to tell us what model you were asking about.
    Maybe that particular model is not meant for that type of riding.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    22

    Ibex bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    Again, you need to tell us what model you were asking about.
    Maybe that particular model is not meant for that type of riding.
    They refused to sell me any of their bikes saying they would not warranty the bike because I intended to "ride stairs". I even clarified by stating I simply wanted a bike for "light trails, rock trails, city \ country roads, city curbs, and going down steps." Ibex still refused to sell the bike.

    I have since tested the Kona series hard tails. The good thing about that is you get the benefit of testing riding the bike at a LBS. You may pay a little more, but the peace of mind knowing the frame is supported by a lifetime warranty is well worth it, not to mention the Kona hard tail frames are sweet.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,339
    THis was covered in another post. Ibex builds cross country bikes, not urban freeride bikes. You told them you are going to do urban freeride and they said they don't cover that. Your dealer is covering it because he will LIE to the manufacture about what type of riding you are doing to make the sale. IBEX is the manufacture so guess who eats the cost when your frame fails after doing a buch of 5 foot drops and you call and complain it broke "while just riding down the street."

    BTW, what's wrong with your curren ride, is it broken? Your just another stupid 13 year old who doesn't get it yet.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

  9. #9
    it's....
    Reputation: Strafer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    THis was covered in another post. Ibex builds cross country bikes, not urban freeride bikes. You told them you are going to do urban freeride and they said they don't cover that. Your dealer is covering it because he will LIE to the manufacture about what type of riding you are doing to make the sale. IBEX is the manufacture so guess who eats the cost when your frame fails after doing a buch of 5 foot drops and you call and complain it broke "while just riding down the street."

    BTW, what's wrong with your curren ride, is it broken? Your just another stupid 13 year old who doesn't get it yet.
    Man, Jack owes you big!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    THis was covered in another post. Ibex builds cross country bikes, not urban freeride bikes. You told them you are going to do urban freeride and they said they don't cover that. Your dealer is covering it because he will LIE to the manufacture about what type of riding you are doing to make the sale. IBEX is the manufacture so guess who eats the cost when your frame fails after doing a buch of 5 foot drops and you call and complain it broke "while just riding down the street."

    BTW, what's wrong with your curren ride, is it broken? Your just another stupid 13 year old who doesn't get it yet.
    5 foot drops. That is hilarious. I am 33 years old and have never done a 5 foot drop in my life. I bought my last bike from Target in 1998. It does just fine for all the riding conditions I use it for "light trails, rock trails, city \ country roads, city curbs, and going down steps". Not only that it is still very rideable. The only reason I am looking for a new bike is because I just recently read that the bike was recalled in 1998. I decided to go ahead and spend a little extra $$ and buy a decent \ solid bike literally for "light trails, rock trails, city \ country roads, city curbs, and going down steps". If you'd like I can even send you the entire email correspondence with Ibex so you can decifer it and when your done you can even report back to your master Jack. Ibex should be paying you for running to their defense without even knowing the facts.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8

    Hope ACK! I've been hijacked!

    Allright enough's enough.

    JustRide, if you'll search these forums, you'll find another poster with nothing better to do than bash IBEX, his/her handle is JamyD or Kkriina. Perhaps the two, three (or one) of you could get together and have a little pow wow. Ironically though, it appears that his (JamyD, Kkriina) posts stopped around the time you signed on so you may not be able to track him down... Coincidence...

    I've admitted that I am new to MTB so I obviously don't have as much experience at this as the one, two or three of you. But Ibex may not be the bike for YOU, in fact, you've already determined that to be the case. You laud and praise that Target bike you had, and I'm fairly certain that they still carry some bikes.

    Anyway, you've copied and pasted your "riding down the stairs" argument in several threads on these forums. Perhaps what you say is true. But you've obviously never seen, ridden, or had the chance to objectively judge the Ibex bikes yourself. Can't we just lay off? You say they don't want to warranty a bike against damage from stairs (I don't know if that's true or not), you've said your piece, know get a grip and move on with your life man. Your handle says JustRide... Well go to Target, find your dream machine and 'ride'. Get out on the trails, sling some mud there, and quit slinging mud here.

    Please.


  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by SunBum
    Allright enough's enough.

    JustRide, if you'll search these forums, you'll find another poster with nothing better to do than bash IBEX, his/her handle is JamyD or Kkriina. Perhaps the two, three (or one) of you could get together and have a little pow wow. Ironically though, it appears that his (JamyD, Kkriina) posts stopped around the time you signed on so you may not be able to track him down... Coincidence...

    I've admitted that I am new to MTB so I obviously don't have as much experience at this as the one, two or three of you. But Ibex may not be the bike for YOU, in fact, you've already determined that to be the case. You laud and praise that Target bike you had, and I'm fairly certain that they still carry some bikes.

    Anyway, you've copied and pasted your "riding down the stairs" argument in several threads on these forums. Perhaps what you say is true. But you've obviously never seen, ridden, or had the chance to objectively judge the Ibex bikes yourself. Can't we just lay off? You say they don't want to warranty a bike against damage from stairs (I don't know if that's true or not), you've said your piece, know get a grip and move on with your life man. Your handle says JustRide... Well go to Target, find your dream machine and 'ride'. Get out on the trails, sling some mud there, and quit slinging mud here.

    Please.

    Lighten up man. Just sharing my experience with others on the forum.

  13. #13
    Bush Suppoter W'04
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15
    I got my Ibex Alpine 450 last Friday and put it together in about 30 min. I was very impressed with the build quality of the bike. It rides great and shifts smooth. The Marzocchi MZ Comp fork is nice and firm (I am 6' 4" 205lbs). I took it through a couple of miles of singletrack and it seems to eat it up. I rode comparable Treks(4500 & 4900) and Giant Iguana...and I have to say I like the Ibex better. With all the money I saved I will be upgrading some of the components soon.

    Great bike and an awsome price!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cefedsupra
    I got my Ibex Alpine 450 last Friday and put it together in about 30 min. I was very impressed with the build quality of the bike. It rides great and shifts smooth. The Marzocchi MZ Comp fork is nice and firm (I am 6' 4" 205lbs). I took it through a couple of miles of singletrack and it seems to eat it up. I rode comparable Treks(4500 & 4900) and Giant Iguana...and I have to say I like the Ibex better. With all the money I saved I will be upgrading some of the components soon.

    Great bike and an awsome price!
    just don't take it down a set of stairs or the warranty is void... LOL

  15. #15
    Company CSR
    Reputation: ibexbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,027

    IBEX Warranty

    Quote Originally Posted by justride
    Even after informing Ibex I simply wanted a bike that could handle "light trails, rock trails, city \ country roads, city curbs, and going down steps." Ibex still refused to sell the bike.

    I checked with a local dealer who informed me the bikes (Giant line) he was selling were covered by warranty even if I intended to take the bike down a set of steps.
    Chad (justride), you need to tell the truth here. You wrote IBEX that you wanted to JUMP staircases on a bike built for XC. Here is what our warranty says about that:

    "...IBEX explicitly exempts from coverage any damage on bicycles used for jumping, stunt riding, observed trials and any similar extreme riding or events..."

    And here is an except from Giant's warranty (copied & pasted directly from their website):

    "...ALL WARRANTIES ARE VOID IF THE BICYCLE IS MODIFIED FROM ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION OR THE BICYCLE IS USED FOR OTHER THAN NORMAL ACTIVITIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FAILING TO FOLLOW THE OWNER'S MANUAL OR USING THE BICYCLE FOR COMMERCIAL ACTIVITIES OR IN COMPETITIVE EVENTS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO BICYCLE RACING, BICYCLE MOTOCROSS RACING, STUNT RIDING, RAMP JUMPING OR SIMILAR ACTIVITIES, AND TRAINING FOR SUCH ACTIVITIES OR EVENTS..."

    See any significant difference? No? I thought not. Look at any bike manuufaturer's warranty statement and you will find that they are all very much the same. The fact that your Giant dealer said it would be covered does not oblige GIANT Bicycles USA. Your dealer can tell you that your $400 Giant will fly to the moon and that still doesn't make it so.
    IBEX Bicycles Company CSR

    www.ibexbikes.com

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by ibexbikes
    Chad (justride), you need to tell the truth here. You wrote IBEX that you wanted to JUMP staircases on a bike built for XC. Here is what our warranty says about that:

    "...IBEX explicitly exempts from coverage any damage on bicycles used for jumping, stunt riding, observed trials and any similar extreme riding or events..."

    And here is an except from Giant's warranty (copied & pasted directly from their website):

    "...ALL WARRANTIES ARE VOID IF THE BICYCLE IS MODIFIED FROM ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION OR THE BICYCLE IS USED FOR OTHER THAN NORMAL ACTIVITIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FAILING TO FOLLOW THE OWNER'S MANUAL OR USING THE BICYCLE FOR COMMERCIAL ACTIVITIES OR IN COMPETITIVE EVENTS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO BICYCLE RACING, BICYCLE MOTOCROSS RACING, STUNT RIDING, RAMP JUMPING OR SIMILAR ACTIVITIES, AND TRAINING FOR SUCH ACTIVITIES OR EVENTS..."

    See any significant difference? No? I thought not. Look at any bike manuufaturer's warranty statement and you will find that they are all very much the same. The fact that your Giant dealer said it would be covered does not oblige GIANT Bicycles USA. Your dealer can tell you that your $400 Giant will fly to the moon and that still doesn't make it so.
    Never did I say anything about jumping staircases. In fact, I have the entire email correspondence. (Not that anyone gives a damn).
    Last edited by justride; 09-11-2004 at 11:42 PM.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: upstateSC-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by justride
    (Not that anyone gives a damn).
    I finally agree with something you said.
    Ibex seems to have good bikes at good prices, no need to talk smack about them when you can't back it up.

    Lou.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8

    Yo,Justride

    Quote Originally Posted by justride
    5 foot drops. That is hilarious. I am 33 years old and have never done a 5 foot drop in my life. I bought my last bike from Target in 1998. It does just fine for all the riding conditions I use it for "light trails, rock trails, city \ country roads, city curbs, and going down steps". Not only that it is still very rideable. The only reason I am looking for a new bike is because I just recently read that the bike was recalled in 1998. I decided to go ahead and spend a little extra $$ and buy a decent \ solid bike literally for "light trails, rock trails, city \ country roads, city curbs, and going down steps". If you'd like I can even send you the entire email correspondence with Ibex so you can decifer it and when your done you can even report back to your master Jack. Ibex should be paying you for running to their defense without even knowing the facts.
    OH MY GOD! You're a 33 year-old-man (allegedly, whether you are a "man" is debatable) who has nothing better to do then spend a large amount of time on Internet boards libeling a small bicycle manufacturer? LOL. And everyone assumed you were a dumb geeky kid because of the way you write. LOL. Dishonest, cowardly, hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet. LOL. Frequent use of acronyms such as "LOL." LOL.

    I thought I pegged you on the Ibex-Not-Reviewed-In-Magazines thread as an angry, frustrated, young geek. LOL. But you are 33. LOL. You are middle-aged. LOL Forgive me, but I clearly underestimated what an absolute, complete loser you are. LOL. In fact, I do not think the English language has the words to describe adequately how pathetic you are. LOL

    If you really are 33, I truly feel sorry for you. Sincerely. You are one sad, sad sack.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider
    I finally agree with something you said.
    Ibex seems to have good bikes at good prices, no need to talk smack about them when you can't back it up.

    Lou.
    .......................
    Last edited by justride; 09-11-2004 at 11:40 PM. Reason: t

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 06:50 AM
  2. looking for Fox Talas...any good deals??
    By KamikazeBikr in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 12:27 PM
  3. Can i get any good deals at the toronto bike show this fall???
    By Ruskyi121 in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-14-2004, 08:17 PM
  4. Does the toronto bike show have good deals???
    By finchy in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 12:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •