mtbr member
    Dec 2012

I need a dropper that won't drive me crazy

Looking for a good deal on a dropper, don't need much travel, must be cable actuated. On the short list are KS crux, fox transfer, crank brothers highline. 3 Year warranty on the highline is a big factor, plus the positive early reviews (I know crank bros has long term issues however). Not sure if the transfer is user serviceable. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Currently Own:
    Fox Transfer
    KS Lev Carbon

Have Owned:
    Specialized Command
    KS Lev
    Crank Brothers Joplin

I know it's expensive, but the KS Lev carbon is by far my favorite. The line/cable they use is much smoother than my fox, it's light, has just the right amount of travel, and is super quick to return. Using this on an XC race bike, so for other applications you may want more travel.

No issues with the fox, but it just doesn't feel quite as refined when ridden back to back with the KS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ks Eten - simple design, reliable, cheap. No brainer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Forgot to mention, must also be zero offset so no Eten. I had an e30 which is basically the same thing but with no offset and that was great, but wrong size for my new frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonlespaulspecial View Post
    Forgot to mention, must also be zero offset so no Eten.
    Eten is cheap ($$), easy/cheap ($$) to service...

Re, offset - just run seat further forward on rails o_0

Down sides to Eten... weight = it's porky & only 100mm of travel.

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    Last edited by targnik; 11-11-2016 at 08:05 PM.
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Eten is cheap ($$), easy/cheap ($$) to service...

Re, offset - just run seat further forward on rails o_0

Down sides to Eten... weight = it's porky & only 100mm of travel.

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    x2 on targnik's comments. Very happy with my e-ten. Mine is so old that it eventually needed a new air cartridge. $30 and a simple tear down, and it was working perfect again.

Maybe the Crux is the newer, internally routed version of the e-ten, so I would look at that too. Zero offset as well.
    Last edited by 69tr6r; 11-12-2016 at 06:23 AM. Reason: added crux

mtbr member
    I have never used this Brand X dropper before or even seen one, but it is getting great reviews and seems pretty nice and great price - I was eyeing one for my HT - internal only though

Brand-X Ascend Dropper Seatpost | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a Rock Shox Reverb 150mm and KS Integra 150mm, both fail, but the KS lost almost all the oil in a very short time, Rock Shox Reverb can be still used with a vertical play 1cm. Both can be fixed KS with a new catridge (cost USD75) and the Reverb, with the full kit (USD50). I think that KS is the easy and cheapest to repair (KS catridge +Labor < RS Reverb full kit + Labor), but the failure it's more tragic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I rocked 2 KS Supernatural's for years. With regular cable/housing changes and a clean-up/lubing of the internals (easily done at home) they have been flawless.

I hear from my Cuz who manages a shop that the LEV's have seen their fair share of problems and KS has no service center here in the US other than a distributor (QBP) who just changes cartridges. Deal breaker for me and my new bike.

Currently have 2 Transfers (each model) and the budget one has been absolutely flawless. No rides on the Kashima coated one yet as the new rides not together yet.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Gravity Dropper Turbo LP. Remove the protective boot and it looks like any other dropper. Such a simple design yet bomb proof. You can literally reassemble the whole dropper in 10 minutes without any experience.

mtbr member
    I avoided all droppers for a long time because I knew I'd be more upset with it if it was broken than any angst about not having a dropper. Then I read the about the mechanical's in the 9point8, read the reviews and bit the bullet. 6mo in this post works a treat and the only maintenance I've done is wipe the mud off. With the take-apart and maintenance parts and instructions available on their website I'm confident it'll work for the long run.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    9point8 has a black friday sale as well!

fuggansonofahowa
    Quote Originally Posted by andersonsmog View Post
    9point8 has a black friday sale as well!
    Just grabbed a 31.6 x 175 for just over 3 Benjis!

Blemished...which I most likely would have done in the first ride or two. I love my LEV, but winter in the northeast takes a toll on the KS. This is from experience with the i950 and Super Natural. The Fall Line will be maxed drop I can go on my Large sized HD3. I'm just hoping I don't have fit issues at 500mm....cause I'll need most of that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I bought the brand X dropper and pretty impressed. I had an eTen remote and it was good but the return was a bit on the slower side and the actuator under the saddle kept getting dirt in it and wouldn't work correctly.

The Brand X one is basic and simple but works great....internal routing only though. I also have a Reverb and a Lev Ti. I really like the lever for the Brand X too. Chainreaction had them for $144 but their popularity is growing so its a bit more now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Rats. I wish I saw that black friday deal on the 9point8. Over at competitive cyclist, the crank bros highline can be had for $280 with their RIDE20 coupon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just got the 9point8 fall line on ebay!

mtbr member
    Why no offset?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My Canyon Spectral is a very long frame. I need the saddle to be a little bit in front of the seat tube. Can't get there with a seat post with 20mm offset.

mtbr member
    The reason I ask, is because you mention it needs to be cable actuated, but you don't say internal or external cable routing. All the non offset droppers I have seen have internal routing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by armii View Post
    The reason I ask, is because you mention it needs to be cable actuated, but you don't say internal or external cable routing. All the non offset droppers I have seen have internal routing.
    Giant Contact SL (can be swapped between external and stealth)
    KS Supernatural

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I wish I never started this thread. John Cougar has been stuck in my head ever since...

fuggansonofahowa
    Agreed....now stop bumping it up so I can continue with the curing process and make a drastic attempt to escape this mental hell-hole you have dug in my conscience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thomson Covert ftw

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    No, its not a big name brand and you most likely haven't heard of it because in months of research I hadn't but I recently purchased the FastAce FSP-502 dropper. Here's the link on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been riding it almost every day, in the Chicago winter (2 days ago it was -15F) and yes it slows down in the frigid cold but so far this thing has been bulletproof. The only other "reliable" post at this price point seems to be the DNM. I'm not saying the FSP-502 is the best but it was the only one that was 180$, was externally routed although it looks and works like an internal (check out the design, its much better than KS setup IMO) and it was 31.6mm w/ 125 mm travel. It was EXACTLY what I was looking for and as of now, I couldn't be happier. Turned my old "Rumbleseat" into a finely-tuned dropper (I'm a Hoosier as well, figured I'd keep the Mellencamp references going). I've emailed MTBR about putting it on the "user reviews" so I can spread the word but nothing yet.

I Ride Bikes
    Thomson Covert. Works flawlessly.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Gravity Dropper. Had mine for 6 years. Change cable every so often. The remote isn't the best. The cable entry on the post broke once, they repair it for the shipping, turned in around in 4 days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonlespaulspecial View Post
    I wish I never started this thread. John Cougar has been stuck in my head ever since...
    Ya know what the first think I had when I saw the thread title?