over my head

I need a 2" hitch 4 bike carrier

Anyone know where there is a good deal? I know shipping will be a real drag - so that probably defaults me to a bricks and mortar - Checked REI and that may be my best bet. I'd love to have THULE or Yakima but the brand isn't real important. I live west of Boston. Thanks for your help!
    Ted

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Our local Sports Authority (Jax FL) had a 25% off anything Thule last week. I picked up a Hitching Post pro 4 (4 bikes, folding, 2" receiver) for $150. Check them out.

Carpe Noctem
    Dec 2005
    REI has 20% off anything Yakima untill the 14th.
    Off season? What off season?

banned
    it can be bought from fleabay for 240$ shipped

its worth 70$ more than the yakima/thule racks which hang the bikes and may rattle imo..

EDR
    Yakima Kingpin 4 $175 w/free shipping from backcountry (great place).

http://www.backcountry.com/store/YAK...word=kingpin+4

or $159 here: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

I have one, its a fine rack. They make a 2 and 3 bike kingpin as well.

just a man

T2

The Thule Transport T2 (formerly Sportworks) rack rules, I love it. Solid rack, quick load and unload. There are a number of web retailers that offer competitive pricing. I bought mine from Rackoutfitters.com - good customer service. There might be a few that are a little cheaper - check www.agees.com

swoosh!
    Mar 2006
    Yakima KingPin4. VERY Solid & superb build quality.

I think i bought it online for $180 w/ free shipping.
    Crawling uphill is a skill!

mtbr member
    check out the swagman xc 4 bike carrier for 239.00 shipped on ebay cant be beat. its an awesome rack, here is my little review...

swagman xc 4 bike experience really good, i like it alot...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Anyone have any experience or know anyone with an Allen's hitch rack? There are a ton of these on eBay and they look to be really solid but I can't find any reviews on these things anywhere. The company seems to have been around for a while so they aren't some fly-by-night operation. I'm looking for a hitch rack for my wife's truck (she has a bed cover so a bed rack isn't practical and the short box makes for tricky placement even when the cover is off). It won't be used that often, but it needs to be sturdy as what it would be used for a good bit of the time would be for the occasional downhill shuttle with some heavy bikes on it. Because it would only be used occasionally I'm not looking to spend as much as I'd have to for something like the Sportworks, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Rack Attack

Check out www.rackattack.com
    I found the best prices there and shipping was free on my Thule. Plus they have a live customer service rep to answer any questions!

For a 4-bike setup I recommend the Thule 996XT Expressway.

mtbr member

Saris T-rax systems

Saris roof and hitch mounts are great!!! Check the hitch mounted racks out here at their site:

http://www.sarisproducts.com/products/traxracks.htm

I've had one of their roofracks for years and its still going strong. Just got one of their hitch mounted racks recently and it was in great shape, just about new condition. I picked mine up off of E-bay for about $85 including shipping.

IMO, Saris racks are some of the best kept secrets...unfortunately don't have the cache of Yakima and Thule, but if you care more about performance...go with Saris!

Members who have read this thread: 0