mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Hutchinson Spider Air Light 26x2.3 for $9.99

Nashbar has Hutchinson Spider Air Light 26x2.3 for $9.99
    http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...3_10000_202057
    This is a high volume fairly lightweight XC tire (<700g). I've been running a couple of these as front tires on two of my bikes for a couple of seasons now and really liked them. Good high volume all-purpose tire. I rarely ride wet conditions so I can't say how well they run wet, and I've yet to use them as a rear tire, but they've been great on the front for hardpack, roots, rocks, and light loose over hardpack. As a lightweight high volume tire, these have some pretty thin sidewalls, so if you ride a lot of sharp rocks, you may want to stay away from them. I haven't had a problem with the sidewalls though.

I just received two more from Nashbar at the $9.99 price and can confirm these are the same version I've previously purchased (folding bead, varying weights between 650g and 700g). Great deal.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    I run the Spider as rears. And you hit on all its strengths and weaknesses. I love the 2.1 which I don't think they make any more (They do make 2.00). The 2.1 had the same but strangely expanded (by millimeters) tread design- equaling same tread width as the 2.3 but with the 2.3 you gain volume. Yep thin wall casing but overall a great performer in varying conditions- dry to wet, root to rock. Dig'em.

bi-winning
    I had a 2.00 as a rear tire one upon a time. It worked phenomenal in the snow.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon
    I run the Spider as rears. And you hit on all its strengths and weaknesses. I love the 2.1 which I don't think they make any more (They do make 2.00). The 2.1 had the same but strangely expanded (by millimeters) tread design- equaling same tread width as the 2.3 but with the 2.3 you gain volume. Yep thin wall casing but overall a great performer in varying conditions- dry to wet, root to rock. Dig'em.

They no longer make the Spider at all. It was my favorite most-conditions tire.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a couple of backups in the basement. Wish I had only paid $10.

mtbr member
    they still have them at nashbar

Hutchinson Spider Air Light 26x2.3 Mtb Tire
    i'm leary of the thin side wall as i hit the rocky jersey trAILS, enought probs wih the conti mtn king, but for 10 quid no worris
    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I ordered 3 more last week. So that's a total of 5 new ones at the sale price, plus the 2 I already had that are still in good shape. It's really hard not to stock up at that price. Especially when you know you won't be able to buy them in the future.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Nashbar is hit or miss with tires. In spring I ordered a tire they addvertised as like tobular wjen in factbwas tubular. They made me pay freight to return them but I got 4 mich mtb tired at 10 bucks a clip I trashed one tire but also got 2 hutch training tire I really like on bumpy roads this time of year. Although I busted 5 tubes at just over 100 lbs on bonty my neuvations and hutch trainors are blissfully content at 110 lbs. As these two pressure are listed on the sidewall. The mich is just okay. I have 2.4 mtn king on my mavic and mich on the stock wheel set.. I don't thikk nokian are in the cards for this winter but a 10 hdolla snow tire might do the trick
    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...

mtbr member
    A word of warning- these tires are high volume. They are almost deeper than they are wide. I bought a set but the rear didn't fit in my hardtail frame. No big deal since they were so cheap.

tg
    mtbr member

Mounted the 2.3s today

Put them on the Flux and and love the traction. First time I have had tubes in a set of tires in over 5 years so I am still trying to figure out the psi. 190 lbs. Fast Colo. ST. Help with psi would be great. $9.99 PER TIRE is hard to beat. Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    First time I have had tubes in a set of tires in over 5 years so I am still trying to figure out the psi. 190 lbs. Fast Colo. ST. Help with psi would be great. .
    I'm not sure this will help you much since we ride very different types of trails and I'm lighter than you. But on upper Midwest singletrack (nice hardpack with roots and rocks, but rocks tend to not be sharp, more tight and twisty with some flowy downhills) I run around 22-23 psi in the front, I weigh 165. I guess I'm a bit of a finnesse rider since I simply never pinchflat, even at these lower pressures. I've never use the Spider on the rear.

mtbr member
    The tread looks like it might be high rolling resistance. Comments?

mtbr member
    What does the "Air Light" mean?

Edit:
    From the Hutchinson web site. It just means built for light weight and use with a tube, as opposed to the tubeless light or tubeless ready tires they make.

The AIR LIGHT process is all about making HUTCHINSON tires as light as we can by optimizing all the components of the tire. By maximizing the design and performance of the thread, casing and the profile AIR LIGHT increases the output (+20%) and acceleration while making handling far more secure by reducing the gyroscopic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    The tread looks like it might be high rolling resistance. Comments?
    I think they roll pretty well, but I've never felt a need for the fastest rolling tires unless I use the bike on roads.

There are a bunch of reviews on it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Is the Spider more aggressive than the Python? It looks like it would be from the tread. Has anyone run this in the front with a Karma 2.0 in the rear? Should be a fast combo with decent grip on dry to slightly loose.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by heybrady
    Is the Spider more aggressive than the Python? It looks like it would be from the tread. Has anyone run this in the front with a Karma 2.0 in the rear? Should be a fast combo with decent grip on dry to slightly loose.

I've run both the Python and the Spider on my bikes around San Diego. Dry, loose on top of hardpack, lots of rocks. The Air Light versions are VERY susceptible to sidewall punctures and tears, but they are very light.

I didn't notice a huge difference in rolling resistance between the two tires, but I felt that the Spider was grippier in climbing. I don't think I will every buy the Python again because the nobs just shear off after a few months of riding around here, but I did buy 4 of these since they were so cheap. Still haven't tried to mount them yet, and I'm not sure they will even fit, but it's worth a try.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just a possibly unimportant observation, but I don't think Hutchison has made these for a few years. That probably explains the low prices as well

mtbr member
    It might be a good tire to screw some screws into the lugs and have some cheap studded snow tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Any reason I should not pick up these tires? Primarily ride hard pack but also commute to school (only ten minutes away). Would there be a problem running them in the front and back? To large for someone weighing in at 150 pounds?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joytron
    Any reason I should not pick up these tires? Primarily ride hard pack but also commute to school (only ten minutes away). Would there be a problem running them in the front and back? To large for someone weighing in at 150 pounds?
    I would say no reason not to get them. Unless you know you want something different. (like a slick, or a tubeless ready or whatever)
    Most people seem to like them on the reviews and they seem to be versitile for front and back in various conditions. For the price, why not? Your weight doesn't matter.