Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    RTM
    RTM is offline
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Reputation: RTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,567

    Hop Pro 2 EVO at Chain Reaction

    Best prices I've seen by far.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,304
    Quite tempted to build something, especially with Notubes.com clearing out old Flow rims for $40/each.

    But I've been super stoked with my $300 Sun Ringle Charger Expert 29er wheelset (decent hubs, Stan's BST technology, stout rims, brass nipples, Wheelsmith spokes, and steel freehub body)

    And adding it all up, while the hubs may be cheap at the moment, the end product isn't such a bargain any more.

    Hope hubs ($79 + $186)
    Flow 29er 36H ($40 x 2)
    DT Comp spokes ($1.40 x72)
    DT Brass Nipples ($0.20 x 72)
    Stan's tape + valves ($14 + $10)
    Build labor ($60 per wheel)

    Total: $600+

    Not including the $83 for the Hope steel freehub body, which I would need for my 12-36 cassette.
    Last edited by eurospek; 07-09-2012 at 10:28 AM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    427

    If you want Hopes and Stans...

    I just bought a set of these; 29er Wheelset Hope Pro 2 Evo Stan's No Tubes Crest 29" rims | eBay

    I just got them, but so far, so good. They are also very light.

    Cheers!
    "I can only assume chan slap is what happens when you get assaulted by Jackie Chan. I don't think anybody can prevent that."

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by thesenator View Post
    I just bought a set of these; 29er Wheelset Hope Pro 2 Evo Stan's No Tubes Crest 29" rims | eBay

    I just got them, but so far, so good. They are also very light.

    Cheers!
    Did you really pay $670 for these wheels? You can get the same wheelset from wiggle for $374 with free shipping to the USA right now. I got them last year for even less.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    427
    I don't remember exactly what I paid, or even if it was the same seller.

    If you read the previous posts, one mentioned assembling the parts and having the wheels built would cost $600.

    My point was one can pay a little more and have them in days, rather than order parts from various places, wait for the parts, take the parts to the bikeshop, pick the wheels up from the bikeshop, etc...

    In addtion, if you get the wrong or damaged item, what does it cost to send them back to the UK? How long are you without wheels?

    I have placed three orders from the aforementioned company, in one instance the sent two right triggers when I ordered a L&R set, and on another occasion they sent the incorrect seatpost size.
    "I can only assume chan slap is what happens when you get assaulted by Jackie Chan. I don't think anybody can prevent that."

  6. #6
    RTM
    RTM is offline
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Reputation: RTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by thesenator View Post
    I don't remember exactly what I paid, or even if it was the same seller.

    If you read the previous posts, one mentioned assembling the parts and having the wheels built would cost $600.

    My point was one can pay a little more and have them in days, rather than order parts from various places, wait for the parts, take the parts to the bikeshop, pick the wheels up from the bikeshop, etc...

    In addtion, if you get the wrong or damaged item, what does it cost to send them back to the UK? How long are you without wheels?

    I have placed three orders from the aforementioned company, in one instance the sent two right triggers when I ordered a L&R set, and on another occasion they sent the incorrect seatpost size.
    Oh man. I'm building my own wheels but I'll keep my fingers crossed they get the order right!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    318
    My friend and I bought wheels from wiggle. from ordering date (one on a thursday, one on a saturday night) the wheels were delivered to california on a tuesday and friday, respectively.

    The wheels weren't 'handbuilt' by wiggle but are "hope hoops" factory built.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by thesenator View Post
    I don't remember exactly what I paid, or even if it was the same seller.

    If you read the previous posts, one mentioned assembling the parts and having the wheels built would cost $600.

    My point was one can pay a little more and have them in days, rather than order parts from various places, wait for the parts, take the parts to the bikeshop, pick the wheels up from the bikeshop, etc...

    In addtion, if you get the wrong or damaged item, what does it cost to send them back to the UK? How long are you without wheels?

    I have placed three orders from the aforementioned company, in one instance the sent two right triggers when I ordered a L&R set, and on another occasion they sent the incorrect seatpost size.
    It costs nothing to send them back if damaged. $230 is quite a lot of money. They ship faster than any store in the US. I am sorry to hear about your problems.

    One way or another I prefer Fulcrum wheels.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,304
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    Did you really pay $670 for these wheels? You can get the same wheelset from wiggle for $374 with free shipping to the USA right now. I got them last year for even less.
    Even Stans Flow 29er/Hope? I can't find them on their site.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Even Stans Flow 29er/Hope? I can't find them on their site.
    I was referring to Crest. Unfortunately they do not have Stans Flow.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,304
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    I was referring to Crest. Unfortunately they do not have Stans Flow.
    That always seems to be the case with these UK sites. CRC doesn't list any 29er Flows for custom build as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •