mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon

The Hobby Lobby facebook page has a 40% off coupon. For those who buy Mold Builder (homemade tubeless brew) or clear adhesive backing to protect frames and cranks, etc. this is a good deal. I picked up a big roll of adhesive backing for about $6. Enough to do my bike's downtube/headtube/anywhere cables rub/crank arms, friends' bikes, strangers' bikes, the homeless guy on the stolen bike....

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Tell me more about this adhesive backing? do you have to hit it with a heat gun like the crank skins? will it take the paint off if you peal it off once it is installed? Does it go on wrinkley or smooth?

Thanks!

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    also.... what is the exact name of the stuff and where in the store do you find it? I found Adhesive Backed vinyl but nothing called adhesive backing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Magic Cover clear transparent: Magic Cover Clear Covering Paper - 18" x 25 yards. : S&S Worldwide
    18 inches x 24 feet.

Retails for 9.99 at Hobby Lobby before coupon.

I have Crank Skins on my xo crankarms and they did not need heat.

This Magic Cover is not as thick as CS, and I got mine to stay on nice with a bit of finger rubbing/pressing. Took it off my carbon frame and it was fine. Reapplied in other spots and stayed on.

Don't know about long-term or durability in the wet. But for the price and 24 feet x 18 inches, well, it's worth a shot.

mtbr member
    Just FYI, they have this 40% one full price item deal all the time. If you look on the coupon, there is a number, that changes weekly or every two weeks. You just need the most current coupon to get the discount. You can even pop it up on your cellphone and they will accept it at the register. It can be found on the Hobby Lobby website so just pull it up when checking out. I buy photo framing stuff there a lot so that's how I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Good to know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Just FYI, they have this 40% one full price item deal all the time. If you look on the coupon, there is a number, that changes weekly or every two weeks. You just need the most current coupon to get the discount. You can even pop it up on your cellphone and they will accept it at the register. It can be found on the Hobby Lobby website so just pull it up when checking out. I buy photo framing stuff there a lot so that's how I know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It could be thicker and more adhesive. It'll be a $6 lesson. At least I have a whole lotta clear sheet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    For frame protection I use 3M automotive clear bra material. Either Xpel or venturetape.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post
    For frame protection I use 3M automotive clear bra material. Either Xpel or venturetape.
    +1 on 3m. I have also used Xpel which is cheap. The 3m stuff has better UV resistance (better glue) and has a hardcoat so it doesn't turn yellow as fast on a white frame or absorb dirt. Venturetape (aka Ventureshield) is a 3M product now and is marketed as their entry level stuff so it is basically garbage for a car but works fine for a bike. Here is a decent kit to get anyone started: Amazon.com: Xpel R3022 60" x 2.75" Clear Universal Door Sill Guard Paint Protection Film Kit: Automotive It isn't adhesive backed like a sticker. You will need to purchase a spray bottle and mix a couple of drops of johnson and johnson baby shampoo with good quality water. Its pretty easy to apply and stretches. The first time might be a PITA.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks.