My gloves stink

Help a poor kid find a suspension fork

There's about 5 teenage kids in the neighborhood who bring me their mtb's when they need tools or help fixing stuff. When I'm out in my garage, they say "the doctor is in", and before I know it I'll have several kids in there working on their bikes.

One of the kids is operating on a shoestring. His Manitou Magnum fork totally shot- blown seals and sloppy bushings. He has about $75 total to come up with a replacement. In fact, he worked all day painting my downspouts to come up with the money. I was hoping to find another Magnum or maybe an SX at one of the online clearance stores, but they're all gone. Not much on eBay, either. I'm trying to avoid something REALLY cheap, like an RST, but who knows, maybe that's what he'll end up with.

Any suggestions? He's a good kid, and I'd like to help him out.

Thanks

~Appendage

Not a Barry supporter.
    The only thing I could find was at Pricepoint and $99.98. So if he can save his money a bit longer, he can have an OK fork. If he's lightweight and not a hucker, this fork should work for now.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/127...dy-XC-Fork.htm

Or for $110, this guy may still have this fork for sale. And you could probabably offer $100 and he'd take it. The only question would be would he and how much would it cost to ship?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/bik/36847234.html

Good luck!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

My gloves stink

Thanks, Crash

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    The only thing I could find was at Pricepoint and $99.98. So if he can save his money a bit longer, he can have an OK fork. If he's lightweight and not a hucker, this fork should work for now.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/127...dy-XC-Fork.htm

Or for $110, this guy may still have this fork for sale. And you could probabably offer $100 and he'd take it. The only question would be would he and how much would it cost to ship?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/bik/36847234.html

Good luck!
    Crash, you can't be Seattle's only Republican. In a city that size, there must be one or two others!

That Judy would be perfect, but by the time we tack on CA sales tax and shipping, we're probably close to $125. Pricepoint tends to inflate shipping costs.

The Zokie would work, too. But I think I'll have to keep working eBay on this one.

Thanks for the help, and let me know if you stumble into anything else.

~Appendage

tl1
    Bicyclist
    If it's a money issue why not get him hooked up with a nice rigid fork? They can usually be had for $10-20 from the local bike shop. I'd much rather have a nice chromoly rigid fork than a low end suspension fork myself. If you need a longer suspension length rigid fork they can be had from Surly or others for far less than a good suspension fork.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Maybe another one...

Quote Originally Posted by Appendage
    There's about 5 teenage kids in the neighborhood who bring me their mtb's when they need tools or help fixing stuff. When I'm out in my garage, they say "the doctor is in", and before I know it I'll have several kids in there working on their bikes.

One of the kids is operating on a shoestring. His Manitou Magnum fork totally shot- blown seals and sloppy bushings. He has about $75 total to come up with a replacement. In fact, he worked all day painting my downspouts to come up with the money. I was hoping to find another Magnum or maybe an SX at one of the online clearance stores, but they're all gone. Not much on eBay, either. I'm trying to avoid something REALLY cheap, like an RST, but who knows, maybe that's what he'll end up with.

Thanks

~Appendage

Take a look at some of the stuff a bit over the price range too. At Performance or Nashbar. Then use the coupons.

Manitou Axel

Going for $115, then take off 10%. It's just a hair north.

Didn't see anything current in the Performance listings though.

Good luck!

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have a RS Judy...

I have a 2000 RockShox Judy 100mm that is doing nothing in my garage. If you think he could use that, then send me a private message and he will be able to use his money to buy something else the next time he has problems. If a kid is willing to exercise instead of watching TV or play video games then I'll be happy to help keep him that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Appendage

Thanks

~Appendage

A Real Winner.
    Airbomb has some RST forks starting at $61. There is a 10% coupon for them floating around somewhere as well I think.

-Dan

My gloves stink

Thank you one and all for your input...

...your help is much appreciated. We tracked down a new Manitou Six for $80 shipped. Here's to keeping teens dirty, sweaty and away from the TV.