mtbr member
    May 2011

Harbor freight pancake compressor $39.99

Just went food shopping and saw HF was having a parking lot sale this weekend. This is a cheap price if you need something to set you tubeless tires bead.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Is this device used for compressing pancakes?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You are exactly correct.

mtbr member
    Compressed by pancakes

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Pancake Compressor

'10 Hardrock Sport Disc

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by ddouble518 View Post
    You are exactly correct.
    Thanks. I figured it was because you found it when food shopping.

mtbr member
    That is the exact air compressor I have had for over a year now, and it works great for setting up tubeless tires. I was able to purchase it with a 10% off coupon. So search around in various magazines or on the net.

mtbr member
    cool! just ordered one. been wanting a cheap one for a while for airing up car tires and for tubeless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The unit does work but is very small and takes a while to build any real pressure. Not bad for the price if you are just using it occasionally but if you plan on using it often go for something larger.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was dismayed when I went to their website and found this compressor for $59 bucks. Then I checked the Sunday mailer and didn't see anything.
    Then, from out of nowhere I get a mailer with the rest of my junk mail last week with just one page attached to adds for vitamins, shower repairs and Uncle Bens. Low and behold, there's a coupon on board for this $39 deal! Coupon Code #70270211 valid through 1/9/13
    Woot woot! We'll see how sweet it is when it arrives.

Of course I needed to buy a $7 hose (splurged and upgraded past the $5 hose!!! , and a fittings kit for $6 bucks. And shipping was $7 bucks.

So, out the door for <$60, beats anything at Lowes/Sears/Home Depot or even Amazon

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    need one.
    thanks all.
    i have more than you.
    ...because i have me and you.

zarr

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have one of these, biggest piece of junk I have ever purchased. The piston in the compressor broke after 6 months of very light use. I got no support from HF, so I took it apart to examine and found the problem. Harbor freight does not have parts and doesn't care to help. First and last purchase from HF. I know it's only 4o bones, but it should have lasted longer than 6 months. Buyer beware I guess is my point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Those HF mini pancakes are the exact same small compressors that are relabeled by many chain stores. If you can figure out the comparable model you can likely get replacement parts from the manufacturer.

mtbr member
    For $40 you really can't expect much from a compressor. In addition, all air compressors need constant maintenance or they'll break. Since they suck moisture, there should be a way to drain the liquid away. Sort of like a dehumidifier. There should also be a way to check the oil level and refill if needed, as well as a way to change the oil occasionally.

If the HF compressor doesn't have these capabilities, stay away.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    dude it's 40 effin' bucks. I got one and it's pretty nice considering the cost.

If you read the reviews on it and there are a **** ton of em since it appears they do this sale often, you'll find a bit of a mixed bag. Some people say it's been working great for years, while others experienced a short life, only a few months. But generally there seems to be far more lucky people than unlucky. It probably has to do with how often you use it. I wouldn't think it would hold up to daily use like if you were a carpenter or something and used it daily for a nail gun or other air powered tools. But it's been fine for me, albeit a bit loud.

Make sure you do the 30min break in run before using it.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm