Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    sofa king special
    Reputation: crankbrother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    81

    ... and if we just ... Harbor Freight bike workstand

    I picked up a workstand at Harbor Freight this weekend for the low low price of $8.88. Pretty sweet for the price. Yeah, 99% of HF stuff is garbage, but this stand is pretty sturdy and has nice rubberized coating on the parts that touch the bike.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95365

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    150
    I use their digital caliper ($15.99) and the T25 tool they had on sale for $4.99 along with a bunch of other Torx/star sizes. Their stuff is dirt cheap so I don't worry too much about losing or breaking it, and this is a good way to get at least some kind of stand.

  3. #3
    Dr Phil mmkay
    Guest
    That digi caliper sounds like a tastey deal. Do they carry any shop-quality scale? Maybe I should ask my dad as he's a frequent customer of HF&T.

  4. #4
    anyone else smell that?
    Reputation: jgsatl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,318
    be careful with any of their tools you have to put torque on. i've had good luck with their 1/2 torque wrench, but i've literally shattered wrenches, gear pullters, etc. anything with multiple parts that you may have to occasionly crank down on. and wear eye protection!!!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by crankbrother
    I picked up a workstand at Harbor Freight this weekend for the low low price of $8.88. Pretty sweet for the price. Yeah, 99% of HF stuff is garbage, but this stand is pretty sturdy and has nice rubberized coating on the parts that touch the bike.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95365
    Wow! Good find, thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't even consider something so cheap if I hadn't been told it held up good, I'm too used to bike stands costing $100 or more. I'll have to grab one of those.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: snobrder5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by dankmtb
    Wow! Good find, thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't even consider something so cheap if I hadn't been told it held up good, I'm too used to bike stands costing $100 or more. I'll have to grab one of those.
    just wanted to let everyone know that i know people have been mis-lead by these type stands in the past....they dont hold the entire bike off the ground....they cradle the rear non drive side chainstay and seatstay, and keep the back end a couple inches off the ground....sorry if you already knew this, just wanted to pass it along...i almost bought one of these, till i realized the whole thing is about 18" tall....

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,933
    good lookin' out! Thanks

  8. #8
    sofa king special
    Reputation: crankbrother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by snobrder5
    just wanted to let everyone know that i know people have been mis-lead by these type stands in the past....they dont hold the entire bike off the ground....they cradle the rear non drive side chainstay and seatstay, and keep the back end a couple inches off the ground....sorry if you already knew this, just wanted to pass it along...i almost bought one of these, till i realized the whole thing is about 18" tall....
    Yeah, it doesn't compare to a traditional stand, but it's a nice cheap alterantive, and is quite portable because of its size. I mainly bought it to keep my precious road bike off the ground while camping during RAGBRAI.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by snobrder5
    just wanted to let everyone know that i know people have been mis-lead by these type stands in the past....they dont hold the entire bike off the ground....they cradle the rear non drive side chainstay and seatstay, and keep the back end a couple inches off the ground....sorry if you already knew this, just wanted to pass it along...i almost bought one of these, till i realized the whole thing is about 18" tall....
    I didnít realize that, thanks much for the heads up! Iím not sure if itíd fit my needs or not now, Iíll have to do a little thinking about what I really want from a stand and try to find a pic or two of one of these in use. If it wonít do it for me itís back to the original plan, build one with 2x4s and a clamp.

    Thanks again for the heads up!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    13
    I see how this works now. It'd be better than what I have (I just flip it upside down) for drivetrain adjustments but it's certainly not ideal. Anyone have a lead on where to get a clamp like the one on the Park stands? I can build the rest of the stand myself, but I've been kinda stuck on the ideal clamp on a budget.

  11. #11
    sofa king special
    Reputation: crankbrother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by dankmtb
    ...try to find a pic...
    This is pretty much the same thing
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4216

  12. #12
    sofa king special
    Reputation: crankbrother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by dankmtb
    I see how this works now. It'd be better than what I have (I just flip it upside down) for drivetrain adjustments but it's certainly not ideal. Anyone have a lead on where to get a clamp like the one on the Park stands? I can build the rest of the stand myself, but I've been kinda stuck on the ideal clamp on a budget.
    I'm here to serve:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/153...-Workstand.htm

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by crankbrother
    Awesome, thanks a ton! Iíd been looking for clamps, youíd think Iíd have checked work stands since thatís what I am looking to build. That looks plenty rugged, and the jaws are bent and padded just how I wanted.

    Appreciate it!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    423

    Smile

    That Pricepoint Sette clamp looks prety good, But you can probably get a lower end Park stand (PCS-9, good review here in MTBR) for about that price +shipping from Ebay. I got mine for $60 (use 'best offer')+ 30 shipped.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/PARK-BICYCLE-MEC...QQcmdZViewItem

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •