Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Harbor Freight bike workstand

15K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  BigBull 
#1 ·
#4 ·
be careful with any of their tools you have to put torque on. i've had good luck with their 1/2 torque wrench, but i've literally shattered wrenches, gear pullters, etc. anything with multiple parts that you may have to occasionly crank down on. and wear eye protection!!!

#5 ·
crankbrother said:
I picked up a workstand at Harbor Freight this weekend for the low low price of $8.88. Pretty sweet for the price. Yeah, 99% of HF stuff is garbage, but this stand is pretty sturdy and has nice rubberized coating on the parts that touch the bike.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95365
Wow! Good find, thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't even consider something so cheap if I hadn't been told it held up good, I'm too used to bike stands costing $100 or more. I'll have to grab one of those.

#6 ·
dankmtb said:
Wow! Good find, thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't even consider something so cheap if I hadn't been told it held up good, I'm too used to bike stands costing $100 or more. I'll have to grab one of those.
just wanted to let everyone know that i know people have been mis-lead by these type stands in the past....they dont hold the entire bike off the ground....they cradle the rear non drive side chainstay and seatstay, and keep the back end a couple inches off the ground....sorry if you already knew this, just wanted to pass it along...i almost bought one of these, till i realized the whole thing is about 18" tall....

#8 ·
snobrder5 said:
just wanted to let everyone know that i know people have been mis-lead by these type stands in the past....they dont hold the entire bike off the ground....they cradle the rear non drive side chainstay and seatstay, and keep the back end a couple inches off the ground....sorry if you already knew this, just wanted to pass it along...i almost bought one of these, till i realized the whole thing is about 18" tall....
Yeah, it doesn't compare to a traditional stand, but it's a nice cheap alterantive, and is quite portable because of its size. I mainly bought it to keep my precious road bike off the ground while camping during RAGBRAI.

#9 ·
snobrder5 said:
I didn't realize that, thanks much for the heads up! I'm not sure if it'd fit my needs or not now, I'll have to do a little thinking about what I really want from a stand and try to find a pic or two of one of these in use. If it won't do it for me it's back to the original plan, build one with 2x4s and a clamp.

Thanks again for the heads up!

#10 ·
I see how this works now. It'd be better than what I have (I just flip it upside down) for drivetrain adjustments but it's certainly not ideal. Anyone have a lead on where to get a clamp like the one on the Park stands? I can build the rest of the stand myself, but I've been kinda stuck on the ideal clamp on a budget.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.