Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Harbor Freight 1/4" torque wrench $9.99

Found this deal on another website. I have seen this torque wrench recommended as a cheap alternative on this website several times so thought I would post it. Here's the link.

3/8" and 1/2" are also priced at $9.99 with coupon. Shipping is $6.99 if you don't have a B&M by your house. There is also a coupon code for a free 25' measuring tape with purchase.
    Killing it with close inspection.

addicted to chunk
    I would be curious how accurate those are.
    Riding.....

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    If you go to the HF site, there are reviews for it. Looks like mostly positive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I would be curious how accurate those are.
    This is what it gives in the description: The click-stop torque wrench design provides a torque range from 20 to 200 in. lbs. and is accurate to within +/- 4% .

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have one of these for the tighter bolts and also a Park Tool TW-1 for all else. They are very close if not the same as far as torque measurements/settings. I suppose for the price I can't complain. I'm sure its much more accurate than nothing, at least for me. I give my recommendation, but I guess I feel better because I have the Park Tool for comparison, fwiw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I bought one of those a few years ago for light to moderate use on the bike. After a couple years, the click disappeared. Also, the click at lower settings was difficult to detect. You get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    I bought one of those a few years ago for light to moderate use on the bike. After a couple years, the click disappeared. Also, the click at lower settings was difficult to detect. You get what you pay for.
    Good point about quality in the long run, but looks like it has a lifetime warranty, assuming it wasn't abused. Maybe there's a grey area as it says limitations apply.

From the product page:

Manufacturer Warranty Detail Lifetime Warranty. We guarantee this Tool to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the life of the product. Limitations apply.

mtbr member
    I have one and it's okay, if it breaks I'll just buy another one for $10

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's weird the 1/4 has a higher range than the 3/8.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    It's weird the 1/4 has a higher range than the 3/8.
    The 1/4" is in inch-pounds and the 3/8" is in foot-pounds.

RIP Friendgirl

Good Deal

Each full turn of handle appears to adjust 20in/lb instead of 30 like it's marked, but if you don't have a in/lb torque wrench you can't go wrong for $10.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks to all, as you can see I know nothing about these. So, do you count clicks to get to the desired number?

Extra Crispy
    There's a collar you turn at the top of the handle with numbers/lines for torque. Set your torque value, tighten the bolt/screw and when you get to the desired torque, the wrench will click, telling you to stop tightening it.
    Now with eggs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bordershy View Post
    Each full turn of handle appears to adjust 20in/lb instead of 30 like it's marked, but if you don't have a in/lb torque wrench you can't go wrong for $10.
    Until it doesn't click and you strip the bolt or snap the bolt head off. Than you kick yourself in the a$$ for buying junk tools.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    Until it doesn't click and you strip the bolt or snap the bolt head off. Than you kick yourself in the a$$ for buying junk tools.
    Well that doesn't sound good; I'm pretty sure my "by feel" method won't cause that. What would you recommend as a bare minimum?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Well that doesn't sound good; I'm pretty sure my "by feel" method won't cause that. What would you recommend as a bare minimum?
    Personally, I would get a good old fashion beam style torque wrench... preferrably a USA made one. I think the range on this one is a little high and clicker type torque wrenches can be a little finicky at the end of their range (especially cheap ones). If you don't want to drop $35+ dollars on one then I would recommend at least this.

Chamois Dropper

No good

I would say pass on it. Mine cost me a stem bolt and almost a weekend ride. I don't feel mine is even close to accurate. Get what you pay for I guess.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks, I think I'll spend real money and get a real tool that'll last. I might be old fashioned, but was raised to buy American when it comes to tools.

Class Clown
    i've been using mine for about a year and it seems to work well

Hack Racer
    I would pass on that. When I was younger and really into cars and racing. I had a 1/2" drive harbor freight torque wrench. The clicker failed and I snapped a stud off the wheel hub. Bad part is that it was the rear wheel, and to replace the stud you had to take the rear hub off on a rx7. Which meant you had to also replace the wheel bearing which is a big PITA.

I tossed that torque wrench into the garbage immediately.

crap tools = broken parts. If you are going to start wrenching on your own, get some real tools.

Even the park tools torque wrenches (new clicker ones) are no good. Doesn't come with a calibration certificate. Go to amazon.com and look for SK or mac torque wrenches. Cheaper than park tools and better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

carefull with harbor freight

I love there prices and most of there stuff but sometimes it is to good to be true and u get what u pay for.

addicted to chunk
    Yah, that's what I was getting at. You guys are trusting a $10 tool to ensure you don't over-torque some stem bolts, resulting in a possible failure, crash, & alot of dental work!

I've seen the larger HF torque wrench, and I wouldn't use it, the quality is garbage. (this is for work)...I use a snap-on. yes they are expensive, but it is accurate & can be rebuilt. not throw-away like this stuff.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have a HF torque wrench in 3/8" and I've never liked it. The clicking mechanism never worked well/the click itself was never pronounced. It made it hard to be confident of the first tightening of anything, so I'd have to do it at least twice.

Birdman aka JMJ
    If you want a torque wrench for occasional use, this is a great deal - thanks for posting.

If you're going to use it a lot (because you do a lot of wrenching or really don't know your own strength), spend the extra dough on something better.

JMJ

mtbr member
    don't forget about the 20% off coupons on car mags and i assume other ones too.

for less then $10 you have nothing to lose, but don't expect it to perform like a snap-on either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast