Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Hammerhead Bikes - Buyer Beware

Sadly, I've had a horribly frustrating experience with these guys. I wish I paid a little more and got a lot more service. And actually received my order. It's too bad because I like to support the small businesses.

I ordered some parts on Sept 1st (yes, almost 3 months ago) through their website. It was sent quick, but UPS damaged the package and the contents fell out. I notified Hammerhead by phone right away. Spoke to Scott (the owner) who said he'll look into it.

So I filed a claim with UPS. Went through the package investigation process and UPS told me they settled the case on Sept 20th. And as the account holder and insured, merchants will usually replace and refund.

Called and talked to Scott on Sept 25. Told him that UPS says they are settled. Said he will look into it. Called Scott the following week, said he didn't get a chance to check but he will look into it right away. Called again, this time spoke to Pete. Pete said he didn't know anything about it but will check and call me back. No call back, so I called a week later. Said he didn't have time to look into it but will call me back......you get the idea. This goes on for 6 weeks. I call, they are cordial but do nothing, don't follow up and don't call back.

I email sales@hammerhead.com asking them to fix this. Scott responds saying he didn't hear back, so he assumed this was taken care of. I told him that I've been calling almost every week, handled the UPS side as much as I could, told them the process and have been very patient up to now. I even offered to take different parts instead of a refund to make things easier for them. So he has 5 days to make this right.

He responds by saying he "will be happy to get in touch with UPS to see if there is anything we can do to get them to resolve the issue." For real?

Hammerhead, I am your customer and you are UPS' customer. You, Hammerhead, should be resolving this with me.

As I told Scott, the fact that UPS wrecked the package is not Hammerhead's fault, but the poor response and lack of resolution with me is. And him "looking into it" is not good enough, I want my refund or my parts.

Here we are 3 months later, I have no parts, Hammerhead has kept my money and Scott has quit responding. Unbelievable.....

Big Boy
    This is not what I would have expected out of them...I've heard nothing but good about them so far.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

Warrior's Society
    Agree......they should have replaced your order......you shouldn't have to wait for UPS to pay the claim.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    sad to hear.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I had a similar experience with them a year ago. Multiple calls and emails with me having to explain how things are supposed to work when they should have known themselves. I finally gave up and moved on.

mtbr member

I guess HammerHead it not what it seems ...

No longer can anyone say that HammerHead is all good.

I guess HammerHead is more interested in keeping a squeaky clean image on Facebook, than actually having one.

For what it is worth, a couple of years ago a shoe order from Colorado Cyclist diasppaeard off my front door after UPS delivered it. Within a week I had a new pair of shoes resent and delivered. CC did not wait to reolve their UPS issue, but took care of me right away.

Shame on HammerHead.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    scratch hammerhead off my vendor list. thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Wow......Thanks for the heads up.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Ah, the free market at work. Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Shame on you Hammerhead Bikes.

mtbr member
    Wow that sucks. At this point they need to send you your parts and a full refund.

mtbr member
    I'll withhold judgement before I hear Hammerhead's side of the story. Hammerhead has been around here as a registered user since 2004 and has a good reputation. It's too bad about the package, I have literally had thousands of packages delivered to me at work and home through UPS. I've seen a couple of damaged boxes, but never so bad that the contents fell out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    I had a similar experience with them a year ago. Multiple calls and emails with me having to explain how things are supposed to work when they should have known themselves. I finally gave up and moved on.
    Quote Originally Posted by rossluzz View Post
    I'll withhold judgement before I hear Hammerhead's side of the story. Hammerhead has been around here as a registered user since 2004 and has a good reputation. It's too bad about the package, I have literally had thousands of packages delivered to me at work and home through UPS. I've seen a couple of damaged boxes, but never so bad that the contents fell out.
    I never bothered posting about my experience since it wasn't a clear cut case of poor service. I figured it could have been miscommunication between a couple people who all just happened to their own "oops" moments aligned with me and my issue. They had a longstanding reputation so I moved on. However, like I said, my case had a lot of similarities to theirs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I had something similar happen with Jenson; but they did fix the problem after I applied ample "pressure". Backcountry on the other would next day a new package ASAP - that's how to get repeat business.

mtbr member

Taking Responsbility For Our Mistakes On This

Scott, Owner of HH Bikes, Here.....I would like to say, yes we made mistakes on this order and take responsibility for our mistakes.

We have worked hard to establish a great reputation and continue to do that. When we do make a mistake I do my absolute best to admit it, w/o excuses, and resolve the mistake.

I have sent a proposal (prior to this getting posted) for an extremely generous resolution.

If anyone has further questions/comments...please feel free to e-mail me direct at scott@hammerheadbikes.com

Thanks for listening....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Wonder if that was the Charles Colker Hammerhead or the Scott Hammerhead. Could be an issue of the Speedgoat in Pennsylvania vs the Speedgoat in Chicago.
    I see Scott has recently posted about this. Why did it take a forum flame thrower to get resolve? Why the generous resolution and not just the original parts many many months ago?

Quote Originally Posted by rossluzz View Post
    I'll withhold judgement before I hear Hammerhead's side of the story. Hammerhead has been around here as a registered user since 2004 and has a good reputation.

mtbr member

Good Questions

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Wonder if that was the Charles Colker Hammerhead or the Scott Hammerhead. Could be an issue of the Speedgoat in Pennsylvania vs the Speedgoat in Chicago.
    I see Scott has recently posted about this. Why did it take a forum flame thrower to get resolve? Why the generous resolution and not just the original parts many many months ago?
    Westin - Good questions.
    Wonder if that was the Charles Colker Hammerhead or the Scott Hammerhead
    - Both, we work extremely hard everyday to keep up the reputation Charles and Cody have established the last 10 years.

Why did it take a forum flame thrower to get resolve? - It didn't. I hope people can consider that there are two sides to every story.
    I have responded to this post, admitted we made mistakes, and openly taken responsibility for them. I feel it is my responsibility to do so as part of keeping up the great reputation, as well as my responsibility as a Bike Shop Owner in general.

Why the generous resolution and not just the original parts many many months ago?
    - The parts purchased were used parts listed in our Garage,
    HAMMERHEAD SPECIALS - HAMMERHEAD GARAGE - Hammerheadbikes.com
    There weren't original replacement parts to send. I offered a different/better resolution.

Again, thank you for the questions....Scott

mtbr member
    I've had a great purchasing experience with Scott acquiring the coveted black Fox Float 34 fork from him, good price, fast shipping, and overall an easy transaction. Will do business with again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I also ordered several things from them and have not had a problem. It does sound like they dropped the ball on this one and could have dealt with it better though, but no one is perfect. The untimely manner of dealing with it would have me more pissed than anything. I would have did a credit card dispute to get things rolling quicker, but just my opinion.

Plan #123-D
    I've had two really smooth experiences with Hammerhead; great communication, actual shipping costs instead of an arbitrary high number, and Scott has answered numerous questions personally.

I will continue to by from Hammerhead without hesitation.
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

mtbr member
    I haven't purchased from Hammerhead yet, but I had some correspondence through them and they were helpful and quick to reply. There is not one online bike retailer that has a perfect track record, even the aforementioned Backcountry has a few negative reviews if you look online. Although a mistake was made in this instance, it sounds like HH is doing what they can to resolve the issue.

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes View Post

I have sent a proposal (prior to this getting posted) for an extremely generous resolution.

Seems that the OP left this part out.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Generous proposals or not sometimes you feel like you have to let others know what kind of run around you've had in case they were considering doing business with a company. Sounds like hammerhead had about half a dozen to a dozen chances to step up and fix it.

mtbr member
    Well I got a couple of things some time ago from HH bikes and everything was just fine, a lil mistake in the shipping address (their mistake) so the package ended up into my neighbor's house and we don't even speak to each other so that was awkward
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hmmm. I've had only great experience with Hammerhead bikes. I've used them several times for tires, lights and other odds/ends. They've been great to me and I'll definitely use them in the future.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast