mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Guideline to buying Components at the Best Prices (Input Request)

I'm in the middle of an upgrade and am looking to maximize the component quality on budget.

One thing I haven't been able to find is a consolidated source of promotional information (coupon codes, etc.) Is there something like comparisonpricing.com that covers ALL the components, taking to consideration things like "additional 15% off code"?

Pricepoint recently sent a "Big Summer Sale" notification email. At the time I wasn't ready to buy. But now I'm ready and am wondering when to expect their next 15% off/free shipping promotion.

Moderators: I don't know if its been tried, but would you consider creating a new sticky?

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I use chainlove tracker/gearscan, EBAY, online retailers and patience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I don't know of anything like that - it would be a great resource! I just put together my build and ended up having to check a half-dozen websites (CRC, Wiggle, Merlin were the best for Shimano) and a lot of tedious comparisons. Chainlove is great if you have a long time to put together components or you are lucky and what you need comes up, but even though I've bought a ton of stuff from them over the years, I didn't get anything for this build through them because of the random timing of what comes up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    qbike.com

though their format has changed recently and I'm not sure I like it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    I don't know of anything like that - it would be a great resource! I just put together my build and ended up having to check a half-dozen websites (CRC, Wiggle, Merlin were the best for Shimano) and a lot of tedious comparisons. Chainlove is great if you have a long time to put together components or you are lucky and what you need comes up, but even though I've bought a ton of stuff from them over the years, I didn't get anything for this build through them because of the random timing of what comes up.

When I was building my bike I just went to all the coupon site and try to get coupons and tried to find the best deals. I was a huge pain in the ass.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you're on Facebook, "like" or friend all of the major online retailers. I scored a few nice deals this past summer during some 24-hour sales that were posted on FB during the Tour de France.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Agator007 View Post
    I'm in the middle of an upgrade and am looking to maximize the component quality on budget.

One thing I haven't been able to find is a consolidated source of promotional information (coupon codes, etc.) Is there something like comparisonpricing.com that covers ALL the components, taking to consideration things like "additional 15% off code"?
    This doesn't exist - and I don't see anyone spending the HUGE amount of time it would take to stay on top of the weekly promotions that all the major vendors have - and definitely not broken out by individual component.

Best thing to do is make yourself a spreadsheet with each part you need, and list out each vendors' price, shipping charge, etc. Then you can place an order for A,B, and C from one, and X,Y,Z from the other.

I've done this... time consuming, and I'm sure I saved TENS of dollars.

Edealinfo.com is pretty useful, for all types of coupons.

Quote Originally Posted by Agator007
    Pricepoint recently sent a "Big Summer Sale" notification email. At the time I wasn't ready to buy. But now I'm ready and am wondering when to expect their next 15% off/free shipping promotion.
    It'll probably be in your in-box in the next ten minutes... and then again tomorrow, and then probably on Monday. The real price for all this stuff tends to stay about the same, with different shipping deals, coupons and various other types of promotions. You really take a hit if you NEED something and have to pay MSRP. Wait 3 months and it'll be 30% off.

Every once in a while there is a "Holy S#I%" kind of deal - I tend to buy them even if I don't need them right away.
    Either I'll find a new project, or I know enough people that eventually someone will need it down the road....

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Just buy whatever I buy, but a day later. It's sure to be cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There's an app for iiPhone call Bike Repair by Atomic Softwares. When you first open it you'll see a price comparison tool. As an example, I recently used to to find latest XT shifters for $88.00 USD with free shipping. It searches most of the major online retailors plus Amazon.

mtbr member
    also depends when you shop. During the winter there are lots of deals...

Birdman aka JMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    qbike.com

though their format has changed recently and I'm not sure I like it.
    +1. I used to use Qbike, but I find the site a bit of a PITA to use now.

I stick with a few good know sources for parts (Jenson, Performance, Bikewagon, Pricepoint, TreeFort, etc.), then comparison shop (price & shipping). Also use retailmenot for coupon codes, and mrrebates for a % rebate (Jenson & Performance).

I thought there was a site that summarizes all the chainlove-type sites???

Good luck - JMJ

mtbr member
    You can get great deals n the off season. Winter is your friend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Guideline to buying Components at the Best Prices (Input Request)

Best value, used on eBay.

Best new, probably one offs deals on this site
    Last edited by bob13bob; 09-02-2013 at 09:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Guideline to buying Components at the Best Prices (Input Request)

Qbike.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I appreciate all the answers. Would you say that EBAY can give you a better value on a REGULAR BASIS?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    When I build up my bikes, I put together an Excel spreadsheet listing all the necessary parts/part#s/sizes/lengths/colors/lowest found price.

I also factor in S&H costs to batch purchase items rather than waste money piecemealing orders with 1 item at a time from a bunch of different places.

I'll mark an item's status in the spreadsheet as well Need(red)/Ordered(yellow)/Here(green)

I keep all the items for that build in it's own box, then build it up when i've got everything! Sounds complicated, but it's really pretty simple.

Yes, ebay can be a very good source for deals on a regular basis.
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agator007 View Post
    I appreciate all the answers. Would you say that EBAY can give you a better value on a REGULAR BASIS?
    Yeah, you can usually get some great deals on eBay. The problem is, there are always good deals in cycling. Especially now, since the season is ending and the stores are clearing the way for next years stuff. Even my LBS has a great sale at the end of Sept. Unless you can't wait for something, half the fun is biding your time for that great deal you never knew you couldn't live without until you see it. There's a good reason I nickname all my bikes "closeout"!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markk2 View Post
    There's an app for iiPhone call Bike Repair by Atomic Softwares. When you first open it you'll see a price comparison tool. As an example, I recently used to to find latest XT shifters for $88.00 USD with free shipping. It searches most of the major online retailors plus Amazon.
    beware this seems to be UK based check it before paying the $4

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I use Google Shopping and then price match at Jenson for most bike purchases. Other deals either come from the UK (w/ coupon codes), BlueSky or eBay.

mtbr member
    I thought there was a site that summarizes all the chainlove-type sites

CleanSnipe Ultimate Gear Market Deal of the Day Tracker | Steep and Cheap | Discount Bike, Camping and Outdoor Coupons Not just bike stuff and a bit off topic but a useful site.

mtbr member
    I tend to scour several websites (several have already been mentioned), then most will price match the items if they carry them. Find one or two that will price match and have all of the items and you are set.

I also like to do the same with Performance as they price match, always have sales, and do a 10% back rewards system as well. So you can typically get the lowest price matched, free shipping, and an extra 10% in your account.
    I am pretty sure that I have purchased several items at Performance at less than cost prices.
    BoiseBoy