Rogue Exterminator

Gt Sensor 9er $1035 today only.

Couldn't pass this up for this price.
    I wanted a little more bike but I figure I can still upgrade this down the road and still come out good.

GT Sensor 9R Elite 29er Mountain Bike - Giantnerd®

Don't forget to ad the promo code for an additional 20% off
    Also free shipping and no sales tax.

mtbr member
    Anyone have this bike? see reviews for the other variations on the 9r but nothing much on the elite. Looks like you sacrifice in the brakes and wheels mostly. Wondering how it would be for a friend just getting into mtb who'll be riding southern cali trails.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus044 View Post
    Anyone have this bike? see reviews for the other variations on the 9r but nothing much on the elite. Looks like you sacrifice in the brakes and wheels mostly. Wondering how it would be for a friend just getting into mtb who'll be riding southern cali trails.
    I think it would fine for that.

I ride Pisgah trails and currently have a lot less bike than this. (2012 Marin Bolinas Ridge).
    The bike I wanted was $3k but I figured for the price of this bike, $2k buys a lot of great upgrades if I need to upgrade.

Giant Nerd also has a 365 day return policy.
    Not to mention, I bet you could sell it for what you pay for no problem.
    I bet you if I popped it on craigslist, I could actually sell it for more that what I am paying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That deal has been going for a few weeks now. Everyday it says last day!!!

Congrats on the new bike. I am torn between the sensor and the Zaskar Carbon.

Todd

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I picked up the Sensor 9r Elite from GiantNerd back in November (I posted a review on their site). I still have less than 50 miles on it, but so far I feel it's been a decent amount of bike, especially for the money. I already had a 29er hardtail, and I knew my next bike would be an FS 29er, so I pulled the trigger on the Sensor 9r. I couldn't afford a $2K or more budget on a new bike, so I thought the 9r was a good option for me. I'm still a relative noob, and because of that, the bike's specs fit my skill level well. The brakes have been OK so far (have seen a lot of negative opinions on the Avid Elixir line though). Pretty comparable to my HT's brakes (Hayes Dyno Sport hydros). Deore drive train won't blow away experienced bikers, but it's been pretty smooth & consistent for me so far.

Again, not a ton of miles on it yet but the Marzocchi 44 TST2 air fork has been solid for what I mostly ride (a lot of Midwest hardpack, but with a moderate amount of rocky section thrown in to keep me alert). I'm not bombing down steep hills, or doing big drops... yet! The lockout switch is a cinch to turn on the fly, and it does have rebound adjustment, both of which have worked fine. The X-fusion O2 rear shock still need a little adjusting, but wasn't too bad out-of-the-box. My 45-year-old body is liking the plusher ride of the full-suspension bike! I probably need to up the pressure a little bit more though. Overall the bike seems to pedal & climb we'll for me. Weighs about the same as my Mamba HT, but rides like it's lighter. I definitely feel that I'm climbing better with the Sensor.

Too early to tell abut the saddle, but it's similar enough to my Trek Mamba's stock saddle that it doesn't bother me so far. The bar is 690mm wide... 20mm narrows than the Mamba's, but I think I like the 690mm better. Still plenty of control, but with some of my trails having a few narrow gaps, I feel more comfortable with the narrower bar (I broke a finger back in August, slamming into a tree).

Some things I'll probably look to upgrade first: tires, the Maxxis Aspens roll decently enough, but feel a little loose cornering... Just not inspiring any real confidence; grips, meh... Prolly go with some ODI Rogues or Ruffians instead. Most everything else can wait until breaking down, but the tires & grips are relatively cheap items to upgrade.

Hey, I don't begrudge anyone their high-end squish bikes, but for about $1100 total cost on a 29er FS bike with decent components, I'm a pretty happy camper.

Rogue Exterminator
    Thanks for the review.
    You and I are probably similar in riding.
    Not been at it a long time but already have a HT.

I was saving for and planning on getting a $3k FS in the spring but I think I will be happier knowing I spend $1k on a little less bike and it is really enough bike for me right now.
    It is certainly a lot more bike than my Marin HT with a coil spring shock and mech disk which I still love and plan on keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkGX View Post
    Some things I'll probably look to upgrade first: tires, the Maxxis Aspens roll decently enough, but feel a little loose cornering... Just not inspiring any real confidence; grips, meh...
    My experience with bike tires is they are not real grippy when they are still new and since you have less than 50 miles on them, they just may not be to that broke in point.

Also look at which way they are mounted. One way is usually for speed and the other for traction. On my Marin, it came with Geax Saguaro's which are pretty decent after I rode for a while. Then I flipped the rear for traction and left the front for speed and it is day and night.

Other options you could mix match the tires from you other bike if you like them.
    Take your front from that bike and put it on the rear of the GT.

Basically you have several different combinations you can do already and none of them will cost you a dime.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm in no real hurry to buy new tires for the Sensor, so we'll see how more miles on the Apens plays out. The Bonties on my Mamba could be interchanged with the Aspens, but I'm not a huge fan of them either. I'd always read that tires can make a noticeable difference but never got a chance to really experience that for myself. Then we got my son a Rampage 2.35 for his Mamba this past Christmas. He put it on the front and we took it out for a snow ride on New Year's Day. We switched bikes for about 20 minutes during the ride (I was on my Mamba, with the stock Bonties) and even in the snow the difference between our tires was felt immediately. That's probably the biggest reason I'm looking into replacing the Aspens... stoked about the idea of more grip and more volume for the Sensor (and the Mamba too, while I'm at it!)

mtbr member
    Awesome thanks for the review ill forward it along to my friend. Have you happened to weigh the bike? Buddy went looking and found weights from 26-32 so who knows. And I would recommend trying something other than aspens. Have a gt karakoram hardtail that came with the same tires and I couldn't ditch them fast enough. Have some saguaros like kjlued and it's night and day compared to the aspens.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Cerberus,
    I have not weighed the bike yet. My Mamba weighs in around 33 lbs. Just picking them both up, they seem pretty similar, but I really should weigh the Sensor as I've had several people ask me about it. I read that the large Sensor 9r is around 32 lbs (for the Elite model). We'll see.

And, yeah, I'm excited to try new tires... if I could just make up my mind. Way too many tire opinions out there. Makes deciding on one really tough. I may just settle on 2 finalists and buy/try both!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus044 View Post
    Awesome thanks for the review ill forward it along to my friend. Have you happened to weigh the bike? Buddy went looking and found weights from 26-32 so who knows. And I would recommend trying something other than aspens. Have a gt karakoram hardtail that came with the same tires and I couldn't ditch them fast enough. Have some saguaros like kjlued and it's night and day compared to the aspens.

The Large weighs 33# had my local shop weigh one today.

Todd

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That's kind of what I expected to hear about the weight. Wish it was lighter, but I do feel it rides lighter than my 33lb Mamba hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That's kind of what I expected to hear about the weight. Wish it was lighter, but I do feel it rides lighter than my 33lb Mamba hardtail.
    I know I am torn between the Sensor 9r at 33# or the Carbon Zaskar at 24#. Just not sure how much I will like the HT over FS. But with only $200 difference it has me scratching my head

Todd

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Todd, where are you finding the carbon Zaskar for only $200 more than the Sensor? And are you talking about the 9r Elite model, or the Expert model??? I'm confused.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Todd, where are you finding the carbon Zaskar for only $200 more than the Sensor? And are you talking about the 9r Elite model, or the Expert model??? I'm confused.

Pm sent

Todd