mtbr member

FYI chainlove return policy, be careful...

Bought a Fox Baseline jersey that was too small for me, following the dimensions on the page when I bought it it should have fit, I wear a L/XL t shirt. They didn't have a XXL so I emailed about a return to swap for something else. I was quickly contacted with a USPS return mailer. I asked if I would just have a credit or could exchange but they just refunded a portion of the original payment, I was refunded the purchase price minus the return ship, this was never mentioned in the email exchange and I missed the fine print.
    If I had known this I would have gifted it to one of my buddies or put it on Craigslist.

I paid about $22 for the jersey and got a refund of $8 after return, this is why I had been so hesitant to order jerseys in the past online. I have made other purchases on chainlove but I think this was my last.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Now I'm really ticked, in going through my emails my initial customer service reply was the following...

"for you to return that jersey.* I've attached a free UPS return shipping label for you to use"

So one email says I get free return shipping yet I got credited $8 of a $14 jersey
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Anyone from chainlove or hucknroll reading this tell me what I goofed up on please?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    why don't you email them about their broken promises, maybe they'll make it right. I've had great service from them.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    yah i've purchased and returned quite a bit from /whiskeymilitia/steepandcheap/bonktown without issue. Usually I just fill out the return form and send it back myself though using my workplace's shipping department.

It's the same people from hunknroll and they're *usually* pretty good at customer service. Give them a call or email - i would be surprised if they didn't correct this for you if they did indeed say they were going to give you a free return label. However fyi, usually you DO eat the cost of shipping it back so that's why its best to ship it back yourself if you can find a cheaper method... pretty standard affair amongst alot of online companies. Amazon, on some items will allow free return shipping on some of their items if you're a prime member. I frigin LOVE amazon. They get virtually all my money.

Good luck!
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    If there's ever a sale/item discrepancy- of any nature, involving one of their off-shoots, or ODAT sites...

Call the Mother ship: Backcountry.com, and have your order # ready 1.800.409.4502

99.9% of the time they will make you happy. Best CS I know, and consistent. Even then, for some odd duck reason etc., call back for another person.

mtbr member
    I forwarded the e-mail with the issue over free shipping, hopefully they'll take care of me. I just assumed that with the inflated shipping cost and how quickly they gave me the UPS label it was the way they normally did it, didn't realize it was something special.

Wēk Ss
    I've had a similar interaction when I returned something. I never expected free return shipping though, and was what I understood during the transaction. Exchanges were free though, when they sent me the wrong size.

I've never had a problem with backcountry CS.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I second calling backcountry, or if you go on backcountry.com you can even instant message with a real person(not in India) to sort things out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Call them - best service around.

EDR
    Emails are impersonal and they get hundreds a day.

Call them. They will take care of you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I had a similar situation, though it was their fault (item description was wrong). I was told there would be free return shipping, but when they sent the shipping label it said I would be charged for shipping. I emailed to ask about the discrepancy and they re-affirmed it would be free, and sure enough I wasn't charged. I suspect is was just an oversight - hope they make it right!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    doesn't anyone use the telephone anymore? Instead, you returned the item, got gouged, posted about it here, and then e-mailed them.

Why not call them on the phone and speak to an actual person and explain the situation???

mtbr member
    mowerman, all this was posted after I was in communication with chainlove, I'm not some impetuous 18 year old posting before I exhausted my options.

I cannot call them from my job during the day, I have to do everything by e-mail.

I posted this thread as a heads up, if I had seen something like this when I had bought the jersey I would have known better and kept it to give to a friend or sell on craigslist.

I was in constant communication, responses within a couple hours, from the time I filed the return, everything was great until they told me what I was getting credited. Now since I have forwarded the e-mail claiming I would get free return shipping I have gotten no reply.

Its ok, I'm done buying off chainlove, but new users make sure you are 100% sure the item works for you before you buy it. I will buy my jerseys and shorts at local shops where I can try them on, even if I spend a decent premium to buy them.

Moderators please feel free to lock this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    mowerman, all this was posted after I was in communication with , I'm not some impetuous 18 year old posting before I exhausted my options.

d.

My bad, I made an incorrect assumption. Sorry about that.
    Hope things get resolved with Chainlove, I've had nothing but good service from them in the past.

mtbr member
    Okay, lock the thread, but if you take my previous post (and other post'ers re for calling w order # - or utilizing the live chat box), when you are after work, or before, you'd be money. The size discrepancy thus onus was on them. It is the nature of an outlet site for discontinued items such as theirs; stuff which doesn't sell, overage, marginal goods, where (in your case) the sizing info can be off sometimes. Whether it's STP that clearances outdoor gear, as example, and sizing can be off too despite chart- they pay the return and try to get you the better fit i.e. per your experience.
    But "new users make sure you are 100% sure the item works for you before you buy it" isn't justified; to safely order from CL you are still covered. No one was arguing w you, or inferring you're an "impetuous 18 year". The fact that people here are imparting their knowledge to help you the best they can, applicable or not to your so-personal situation, should receive thanks only for trying. Being the OP, and seem to not be able to do this on a forum thread- now call yourself whatever that means. "Thanks everybody, but..." seems SO hard for some.

Now, for the sake of fairness to all, lock- and dispose.