Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ZmyDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    472

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,421
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    $699

    3x10

    175mm crank arm

    11-34T cassette
    Killing it with close inspection.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    502
    Its an M980 rear derailleur, not the M986 Shadow+ clutch model.

    And a 34T cassette as noted by FireLikeIYA above.

    I won't budge from 36T and clutch der, so unattractive to me even at this price.

  4. #4
    I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Reputation: Zachariah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,318
    I'd only do it, if that was 2x10....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

  5. #5
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22,190
    It's an excellent value for somebody who wants to remain old school and needs to replace their drive train.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: peteer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    It's an excellent value for somebody who wants to remain old school and needs to replace their drive train.
    I would include me in that group. I needed a new crankset a few weeks ago, and won't give up the third ring because I ride my 29er with road wheels for commuting. If this deal had been out when I was shopping for a new crankset, I almost certainly would have jumped on this.

    The 3x10 wouldn't bother me at all, and I would have preferred 36T, but I'm woefully ignorant of the difference between the M980 rear derailleur and the M986 Shadow+ clutch model.

    Can someone explain the difference and why someone would pass on this because it's not the M986?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ZmyDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    The 3x10 wouldn't bother me at all, and I would have preferred 36T, but I'm woefully ignorant of the difference between the M980 rear derailleur and the M986 Shadow+ clutch model.

    Can someone explain the difference and why someone would pass on this because it's not the M986?
    Clutch model derailleur's have an extra tight spring in them that keep the chain as tight and secure as possible on the rings. Because of the stronger than normal spring, its also a bit more difficult to remove the wheel because its holding on so tight. The "Clutch" is basically just a button that holds the derailleur cage forward, compressing the spring, loosening the slack in the chain and allowing you to take the wheel off easily.

    Putting the two factors together, my feeling is clutch style derailleur's only became necessary when the 1X trend became popular and it was necessary to more effectively keep the chain on the single front ring. If you were interested in this package, you'd likely be using the 3X drivetrain and not require a clutch derailleur.

    Also for what its worth, it looks like the sale is no longer available. The price has been increased to $799 and where it requires you to select size, there are no selections left available. Hopefully somebody has some shiney new parts on the way.

  8. #8
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    Clutch model derailleur's have an extra tight spring in them that keep the chain as tight and secure as possible on the rings. Because of the stronger than normal spring, its also a bit more difficult to remove the wheel because its holding on so tight. The "Clutch" is basically just a button that holds the derailleur cage forward, compressing the spring, loosening the slack in the chain and allowing you to take the wheel off easily.

    Putting the two factors together, my feeling is clutch style derailleur's only became necessary when the 1X trend became popular and it was necessary to more effectively keep the chain on the single front ring. If you were interested in this package, you'd likely be using the 3X drivetrain and not require a clutch derailleur...
    Clutch derailleur is awesome... so much quieter, even without the clutch engaged. I run the M986 3x9 with a SRAM XO 9-speed trigger shifter on my hard tail. It is ridiculously quiet compared to an X9 9-speed derailleur on my full suspension bike. I've purchased a second M986 to install on this bike in fact...

    The other item worth noting (for those in the market for 2x10) is the M985 is much nicer crank. I scored a set of 175mm's off Chainlove for $200 a while back...
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: peteer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    589
    Thank you very much for the detailed reply. That is definitely helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    Also for what its worth, it looks like the sale is no longer available. The price has been increased to $799 and where it requires you to select size, there are no selections left available.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the set is gone forever, but if they keep the set available at $799 and then have one of their sales that apply to any order over $XXX, it could be a great deal with the right promotion at some point in the future.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: peteer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    where it requires you to select size, there are no selections left available
    At least temporarily, you can select 175 and add it to your cart. With the right promo, this could be a great deal for the right person later this year.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    90
    The XTR build is still available and the 15% fathers day discount works. Price is 679.85

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: peteer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm View Post
    The XTR build is still available and the 15% fathers day discount works. Price is 679.85
    Exactly the kind of deal I had in mind. Free shipping too. I'd grab it if it were 2x10.

Similar Threads

  1. 10 speed chain used on full XX1 drivetrain
    By Laterilus in forum SRAM
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 04:47 PM
  2. pricing full XTR drivetrain
    By cunningstunts in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2013, 05:11 PM
  3. Full drivetrain upgrade with shimanoXT,9speed or 10 speed?
    By zambon in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 09:24 AM
  4. Another drivetrain question- drivetrain noise
    By Streetdoctor in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 01:50 PM
  5. Drivetrain issues - please help - x post from Drivetrain
    By yohyat in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 07:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •