Thread: Fork deals?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Fork deals?

why are forks so expensive? i'm looking for a decent but affordable XC fork 26" that won't cost an arm and a leg. something with lockout (at least), any good finds? thanks

mtbr member
    A definition of "not an arm and a leg" would be useful. I presume this is to replace the RS Mag on the bike that appears in your signature? So you have to have V-Brake posts, right? How sensitive to weight are you? The Manitou Match Comp can be had for about $220, that's as good a fork as you can find at that price range, but it's pretty heavy (5.1 lbs). The Manitou Minute is a pound lighter, has an air spring for better adjustability, at a cost of about $100 more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    A definition of "not an arm and a leg" would be useful.
    ha! thanks, you are right. i'd like something that is as close to the $100 range as possible. i know i'm going to spend more, but that's the ideal. i'm doing this on a tight budget so it's gotta be affordable. i've seen some deals on RockShox XC30 TK but i don't know how that compares with what i have now

I presume this is to replace the RS Mag on the bike that appears in your signature? So you have to have V-Brake posts, right? How sensitive to weight are you?
    yes, its for the GT in the sig. i have V-brakes now but i wouldn't mind a forced upgrade to disc (at least up front). i'm a little sensitive to weight. not a maniac or anything but 5 lbs seems pretty heavy for this frame

The Manitou Match Comp can be had for about $220, that's as good a fork as you can find at that price range, but it's pretty heavy (5.1 lbs). The Manitou Minute is a pound lighter, has an air spring for better adjustability, at a cost of about $100 more.
    man forks are expensive...

mtbr member
    XC30 is about as heavy as the Manitou Match, with a much less capable damping system. And, I don't know if it's available with v-brake bosses.

Upgrade to front disc brake would require a new front wheel, which blows your budget to pieces.

I guess I'm just having problems understanding the motivation to put a new fork on a 20-year-old bike?
    Last edited by joe_bloe; 07-17-2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Additional point

Crash Dummy In Training
    XC30 is about as heavy as the Manitou Match, with a much less capable damping system. And, I don't know if it's available with v-brake bosses.

Upgrade to front disc brake would require a new front wheel, which blows your budget to pieces.

I guess I'm just having problems understanding the motivation to put a new fork on a 20-year-old bike?
    +1
    Be For I saw that it's a 20 year old bike I was going to say Amazon you can get a Recon TK Silver Solo Air 100 mm for $287 which IMO is a decent shock no warranty thou.
    The reason I'm buying a new bike is because it don't pay for me to upgrade my 1999 Rock Hopper.
    After replacing everything I still have a 1999 Rock Hopper.
    Save some cash and watch Craigslist you might get lucky and get a good deal on a used bike.

B.Ike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i'm pretty sure i've seen it set up for v-brakes but like i said, i'm planning on going disc at some point anyway

the budget i mentioned was for a fork only. i've been looking for used forks but haven't found very many that match what i need, hence the thread on new forks

i understand.

here's my logic: i don't like aluminum frames and i really like this GT

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That on-one rigid looks cool, I'm building up an old Ibis Alibi for my son to grow into, that could be a light bike with that fork. Old used forks often are nearly in need of rebuild, and the affordable new forks are heavy. +1 for going rigid, and saving some weight and maintenance.
    Some of us used to race on rigid bikes back in the old days, rigid bikes can be ridden fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Given the budget I think you'll be much better served by a used fork. I recently sold a Fox Float Terralogic with both disc and V mounts for $200 on eBay, and I've seen good functional Float 80 or 100 forks go for less than $150. I see good quality Marzochhi Z2 or Z1 forks occasionally for $100 or less.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by oifla View Post
    why are forks so expensive? i'm looking for a decent but affordable XC fork 26" that won't cost an arm and a leg. something with lockout (at least), any good finds? thanks
    Price Point is having a fork sale. Someone made a post about it

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    This fork was 240 at the end of last season from CRC. They might go on sale again.