MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004

Experience with Chain Reaction Cycles?

Anyone have any experience buying from this internet site? They have a killer deal on an component I destroyed on my ride yesterday, but was a little hesitant to order from them given they're overseas (UK).

Any experiences appreciated.

mtbr member
    Click on "search" and type "chain reaction cycles" into the search box. You'll see a number of threads regarding them.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Thanks! Done. Looks like they're worth the risk.

Note to others out there: when replacing pedals, make sure they are threaded into the crank arm PRECISELY. Otherwise, you'll be like me and and have your pedal fall out about two miles into a ride because the crank arm is totally stripped where the pedal meets the metal. IDIOT!

mtbr member

So far, excellent

My first order arrived quickly and complete. The price on Shimano items was hard to beat. I'm waiting for a second order placed late last week.

mtbr member
    i've bought stuff before, but i live in the uk, good service imo. they are reputable company.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    if you go to Australia forum... we all love em.

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    Anyone have any experience buying from this internet site? They have a killer deal on an component I destroyed on my ride yesterday, but was a little hesitant to order from them given they're overseas (UK).

Any experiences appreciated.
    I ordered some stuff from them a few months ago: got here way sooner than I thought it would, no problems at all.

fan of maple syrup
    It seems the best thing to do with CRC orders is to get all your mates (friends) together and order in bulk to take advantage of the free shipping for orders over a certain amount. For US orders it's only 150 quid (pounds) which tranlates to about US$300. For us (Australia) it's 250 quid - about A$570.

Obviously, the better scenario is ordering that amount all for yourself.

From all reports, their return process is pretty good for faulty products:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/I...ationLargeID=4

Cap'n Injury
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    Thanks! Done. Looks like they're worth the risk.

Note to others out there: when replacing pedals, make sure they are threaded into the crank arm PRECISELY. Otherwise, you'll be like me and and have your pedal fall out about two miles into a ride because the crank arm is totally stripped where the pedal meets the metal. IDIOT!
    Brother, I know your pain all too well. At least it was only 2 miles rather than 8, like me... that one-footed bike back was something for the books...

local trails rider
    I have ordered stuff from Chainreaction twice, to Finland (northern Europe). Both times I got exactly what I ordered and in a very reasonable time.

I hear including items that are not in stock is not the greatest way to get your stuff quickly.... Also, sounds like it is a busy time there now, so some deliveries are not as fast as during more quiet seasons.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    UPDATE: Got my crankset delivered to home in San Diego yesterday, as promised. Only five days from online order date to delivery on front porch and best price anywhere. I'll use them again.

Thanks for the tips, all.

mtbr member

My latest order showed on time too

Just after you posted your original inquirey my parts arrived in NJ. Excellent service and the price on Shimano has to make you wonder why it costs so much less to buy their items in the UK than the US.
    Last edited by Rev Bubba; 06-04-2008 at 12:19 PM.

Nu-School Trail Rat
    I have used them several times here in the UK and they have been really good.

mtbr member
    I've ordered from them a few times with great results. Super fast shipping to the US (east coast) via DHL. However, the last time I ordered something, DHL stung me with import duty which surprised me. It was especially surprising as the invoice for the import duty came several months after the goods arrived.

I emailed CRC about it, but never heard back.

mtbr member
    The carbon footprint for buying parts from England should factored in your decision making. Local shops are definitely a better place to purchase items since they keep the money spent in your community and it furthers America's new policy of Isolationism.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I'd like to hear the explanation for HOW exactly an item ordered from the UK and shipped here (originally shipped from Japan then to the UK) is somehow less of a carbon footprint than an item shipped from Japan to a distributor then to your local shop?

If anything, CRC is LESS of a carbon footprint, because their useage of the planet's resources per unit bicycle item sold is far less (ie: they ship (for example) $15 mill a year in bike parts with 15,000 sq°ft of space vs. your local shop selling $1 mill / year with 1,500 sq.ft of space ... bulk gives the deals).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    if you don't care about the warm fuzzy feeling, then CRC is... in a word... TOPS!
    If you do like a lil of the warm fuzzy feeling after a purchase then Larry @ Mountain High Cyclery is second to none..

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

FIrst order

I just received my first order from CRC (XTR Crankset) It made it to Vancouver in 2 days, then another 5 days to clear customs and make it to Calgary. I paid the GST and $8 to Canada Post(I thought this used to be $5?). Overall very quick shipping and amazing prices especially on Shimano parts. Some of their stuff isn't cheap but it's hard to beat the stuff that is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've been ordering from them and shipping to Australia and Singapore for the last two years 100% every time for around 5 orders. Only thing I would comment is that they are now much more popular than before and sometimes the shipping gets delayed by a couple of days however on average I still get my stuff within 7 business days. I think they are about as safe as you can get for internet shopping the other on I would recommend is JensonUSA from a safety/reliability perspective.