mtbr member
    May 2007

Ebay vs Chain Reaction Cycles.

I was going to do some shimano upgrades. I see the things I need both at places. The prices are about the same, mostly.

Any thoughts?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How much are you wanting to upgrade and are you just looking at prices or prices + shipping? If you need over $300 in parts CRC would be the cheaper route since its free shipping once you hit the magic number.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnider8
    How much are you wanting to upgrade and are you just looking at prices or prices + shipping? If you need over $300 in parts CRC would be the cheaper route since its free shipping once you hit the magic number.
    It's right around $300, XTR cassette, XT m770 crankset and an XT front derailer. I'm thinking of CRC is the best way to go.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    CRC is a legit company, eBay...who knows who you're buying from. Not sure how it would work if you need a part warrantied after buy from CRC. Guess as long as you have proof of purchase?

i bought two cranks several weeks ago and no problems at all. the were more cooperative than Cambria...bastards.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think CRC is a good company as well. They have great prices and if buying over a certain amount you get free shipping. The only problem with them is if they send you the wrong item or it arrives damaged or defective. Then it can be quite a hassle to deal with. Luckily these sort of things seem to be rare.
    Last edited by Freezer; 05-13-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Interlectchewal

Check Again

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer
    Anyone notice the huge price increase at CRC for shimano items? I was going to buy a XTR M970 wheelset in a couple of weeks but the price just went up $120.00. It seems all shimano stuff has gone up in price. And I don't think the exchange rate just suddenly got this bad
    I'm almost positive that it is a case of having the wrong shipping destination. You probably had the shipping set to UK so that the VAT was still included.

As of right now (12:58AM Eastern on Wednesday, May 14), the estimated price to the US is $677.09. If you change the destination to the UK, the price goes up to $795.58. I suspect that's the ~$120 difference you are seeing. I can't imagine that they were selling the XTR wheelset for $557 at any point.

Edit: I see you edited your post. You probably figured it out on your own. I'll leave this for others who will likely make the same mistake; it's come up more than once.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi Bob, you are right. For some reason when I clicked on the CRC website that is in my favorites list it had the destination as UK and the price was with the VAT included. Previously it had always come up with the non VAT included price so I was quite shocked to see the high prices. It took me a few minutes to figure out the mistake. BTW anyone have a new CRC coupon code for 5% off?