Person
    Sep 2005

Ebay problem - Help and advice please!

I bought a seatpost on ebay, and it turned out to be shorter than what was listed. I contacted the seller about a refund, and he said to send it back and he would give me my money back. Problem is, the shipping will cost me almost as much as I paid for the thing. I have tried to contact the seller again to see if he will also reimburse the cost of shipping, but he has not replied after a few emails over a few days (he replied within an hour to my original email).

Is it unreasonable for me to want the money back that I paid for shipping? This whole situation is a result of the listing being incorrect, so I feel I deserve to get all my money back, not just what was paid for the item.

Any thoughts or ideas for me?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

REfund

You should get all your original money back and if there is a diffrence in the shipping for return too. The item wasn't the one described therefore it was the sellers fault.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    I bought a seatpost on ebay, and it turned out to be shorter than what was listed. I contacted the seller about a refund, and he said to send it back and he would give me my money back. Problem is, the shipping will cost me almost as much as I paid for the thing. I have tried to contact the seller again to see if he will also reimburse the cost of shipping, but he has not replied after a few emails over a few days (he replied within an hour to my original email).

Is it unreasonable for me to want the money back that I paid for shipping? This whole situation is a result of the listing being incorrect, so I feel I deserve to get all my money back, not just what was paid for the item.

Any thoughts or ideas for me?
    Did you use Paypal?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Shipping via Priority Mail is $4.05 for a one pound box, and that includes delivery confirmation. Boxes are free at your local post office, and your can print and pay for a label online before you leave the house.

Nothing is wrong with you asking the seller to reimburse shipping costs both directions if his listing was in error. In fact, you could ask the seller to pay for the lable on his end, and email you the PDF to print on your end and drop in the mailbox.

As a seller, with my reputation on the line, I would expect that a buyer would trust me enough to return an item to me before I issued a refund. No matter how screwed up this seller may have been, I don't see any way for you to squeeze a refund out of him prior to him having the post back in hand.

So what are the details? How much shorter was it? What's it value?

If the seller is completely non-responsive to email, try telephone (sometimes you can find that online based on his return address) and of course threaten negative feedback. Plan on flipping the seatpost on eBay to recover your loss.

Good luck!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    My point about paypal was this; if it were used to pay for the post, threaten the seller with going through paypal. They won't even blink with refunding you all of your money back before you have to mail the post back. That includes shipping both ways.

Freshly Fujified

clarification, please

Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Shipping via Priority Mail is $4.05 for a one pound box, and that includes delivery confirmation. Boxes are free at your local post office, and your can print and pay for a label online before you leave the house.
    Not to split hairs, but I'm pretty sure the flat rate envelopes are $4.05. Contents need to be less than 1 lb. The flat rate boxes (2 sizes) are $8.10, and I don't know if there's a weight restriction.

If someone knows of a smaller flat rate box for $4.05, I'd be interested in knowing how to get them as my PO doesn't have them and they aren't available through the USPS web site.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    My point about paypal was this; if it were used to pay for the post, threaten the seller with going through paypal. They won't even blink with refunding you all of your money back before you have to mail the post back. That includes shipping both ways.
    That makes sense, I did use paypal (never go without it, they saved me earlier this year).

I don't want to threaten anyone if I can avoid it - will wait a few more days for that. I can also go with the negative feedback route.

The cost of the post was not much, but that's not the point of this. I did nothing wrong, but am out of some money.

Thanks all for the help, will keep you informed.

FriendlyNeighborhoodMTBer
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. You can certainly file with Paypal. I actually tried to use Paypal to resolve the same exact dispute - the item I received was not as the seller had described it. Paypal recommended that I send the item back. And oftentimes, as in your case, it was not worth it. Unscrupulous sellers know this and take advantage of it. They will also withhold feedback until after you leave feedback.
    This has turned me off on eBay. Tread carefully. Fortunately for you, it did not involve something relatively expensive like a bike or a flatscreen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack

Paypal is usually pretty good... but not always... and not always shipping both ways.

if your credit card offers any type of dispute services, pay the paypal with that credit card. i no longer even bother contacting paypal about any disputes... credit card company takes care of it all and never charges a dime (paypal sometimes DOES charge to dispute). credit card company even sent me a paid-for fedex label to stick on the box and send back.

mtbr member
    So how much shorter was the post than what was listed?? Also since it was his error and he admits it, then he definitely owes you a refund.

But one thing to consider is that most online stores and most sellers on ebay usually state explicitly that there is no refund for shipping. Did he write up terms for the auction stating this??

Also if the seatpost cost you as much as shipping on it I would skip the return and go straight to paypal, cause at that point you're just wasting more money then its worth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Not to split hairs, but I'm pretty sure the flat rate envelopes are $4.05. Contents need to be less than 1 lb. The flat rate boxes (2 sizes) are $8.10, and I don't know if there's a weight restriction.

If someone knows of a smaller flat rate box for $4.05, I'd be interested in knowing how to get them as my PO doesn't have them and they aren't available through the USPS web site.

Bob

All of the Priority Mail boxes are free when using that service to ship. I think the other guy was just mentioning that the seatpost shouldn't be heavy enough to increase the postage beyond the base rate of 4.05 for Priority Mail.

banned
    The 5 bucks in shipping is worth more than the product?

Throw the seatpost in a parts box, and buy the correct one. Chalk it up to whatever. 5 bucks... 10 bucks... Give negative feedback, and move on.

Is it at all worth the hassle?

Freshly Fujified

Thanks for the clarification

Quote Originally Posted by splangy
    All of the Priority Mail boxes are free when using that service to ship. I think the other guy was just mentioning that the seatpost shouldn't be heavy enough to increase the postage beyond the base rate of 4.05 for Priority Mail.

I got confused and thought Nate was talking about the flat rate boxes and envelopes. Those were the prices I was quoting.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    The 5 bucks in shipping is worth more than the product?

Throw the seatpost in a parts box, and buy the correct one. Chalk it up to whatever. 5 bucks... 10 bucks... Give negative feedback, and move on.

Is it at all worth the hassle?
    ++1

If its under $10, just eat it. Fighting for principle on the internet is just a waste of your time...

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    If you didn't pay much for the post, get over it. I think there must be a certain amount of uncertainty associated with buying on eBay. If you want the right size post you should buy if from a real life person at your LBS (or me, personal eBay rating 58, 100% positive). Skeet skeet skeet.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Leaving negative feedback is useless all that will happen is you will get negative feedback in return.Send the post back if it is worth the trouble.