Thread: Ebay cool deal?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Ebay cool deal?

I was able to get a helmet at the store's ebay price by visiting a them after finding myself in their city by chance. Also I called performance to see if they would match a ebay retailer buy it now price. Since performance always says we will price match. They asked me if it was a bike store and I said yes and of course they came back with no way. I think in a way it was wrong for performance to say no. I think they are going against their policy. Since they said they price match. Well you know what performance lost one sale on a helmet. Also this is no way a rant just telling my story.

Also I do not see why not. What is the difference say if I saw the item at pricepoint. They probably would match. I did tell them that it was at abuy it now price. Good for me saved over $30.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic300
    I was able to get a helmet at the store's ebay price by visiting a them after finding myself in their city by chance. Also I called performance to see if they would match a ebay retailer buy it now price. Since performance always says we will price match. They asked me if it was a bike store and I said yes and of course they came back with no way. I think in a way it was wrong for performance to say no. I think they are going against their policy. Since they said they price match. Well you know what performance lost one sale on a helmet. Also this is no way a rant just telling my story.

Also I do not see why not. What is the difference say if I saw the item at pricepoint. They probably would match. I did tell them that it was at abuy it now price. Good for me saved over $30.
    They also won't pricematch overseas items even if the seller advertises on mtbr.com

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Jenson will price match ebay store BIN prices.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Freshly Fujified

Price matching

My understanding is that Performance will match a price so long as they can verify that the price of the other retailer. If they were able to verify the price and didn't match, then shame on them. Good for you for finding the deal.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    My understanding is that Performance will match a price so long as they can verify that the price of the other retailer. If they were able to verify the price and didn't match, then shame on them. Good for you for finding the deal.

Bob
    O yea I even gave them the item number to look it up and show them that it was a bike store. I will probably still buy things off them. Since they do offer some good deals. It is sad also for them since they have gotten rid of the more performance line of bikes read jamis, rocky mtn and others and are bringing just the Pacific brands. I guess pacific makes some good bikes (schwin, gt) one or two models. But at the store by me some mechs quit over this i was told. Also i think they had those brands a few yrs ago, then brought in a different group of brands. To me in todays age good for everyone. If a store has what i want and it is a good product at a fair price I'll buy it.

Freshly Fujified

Performance going downhill

If it wasn't bad enough that many people don't like Performance as they were, the fact you bring up regarding their move away from their better bicycle brands will likely stop many loyal customers from buying there in the future. I bought my Giant Warp from Performance, was a Team Performance member for a year, and bought many products from them over that year. They do have some decent deals, but without a better line up of bikes, I think they will continue to alienate the community, myself included. I guess this opens up a whole new audience to them?

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    If it wasn't bad enough that many people don't like Performance as they were, the fact you bring up regarding their move away from their better bicycle brands will likely stop many loyal customers from buying there in the future. I bought my Giant Warp from Performance, was a Team Performance member for a year, and bought many products from them over that year. They do have some decent deals, but without a better line up of bikes, I think they will continue to alienate the community, myself included. I guess this opens up a whole new audience to them?

Bob
    One thing about them that I never knew when they were a top flight bike selling store. At different locations they sold different bikes. My example, in baltimore they might sell the kona and rocky mtb. at store in PA they sell jamis and giant. They never let you know that you could order a bike from another store or at least at my store. They never told me that. they could have posted a sign too about it. Also I do not think they alienate all of the bike community. I think only the hardcore one who want a better. Since I just went into the store yesterday and it was all families. IMO i think they are trying to getting back to make more profit selling the lower brand bikes. In a way they can do whatever they want its their company. But I do remember at least at my store they did this before for awhile then they switched over to the better bikes. Now they have gone back to the lower quality bike. It seems like a revoling door policy. This is not a RANT either. So again whatever but if I see a deal there and want something and the price is right I am buying. I do WISH that they would stick with one policy and try and sell both good bike lines and lower bike lines. Yes i only know what happens at my local performance store.

Freshly Fujified

Which store?

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic300
    One thing about them that I never knew when they were a top flight bike selling store. At different locations they sold different bikes. My example, in baltimore they might sell the kona and rocky mtb. at store in PA they sell jamis and giant. They never let you know that you could order a bike from another store or at least at my store. They never told me that. they could have posted a sign too about it. Also I do not think they alienate all of the bike community. I think only the hardcore one who want a better. Since I just went into the store yesterday and it was all families. IMO i think they are trying to getting back to make more profit selling the lower brand bikes. In a way they can do whatever they want its their company. But I do remember at least at my store they did this before for awhile then they switched over to the better bikes. Now they have gone back to the lower quality bike. It seems like a revoling door policy. This is not a RANT either. So again whatever but if I see a deal there and want something and the price is right I am buying. I do WISH that they would stick with one policy and try and sell both good bike lines and lower bike lines. Yes i only know what happens at my local performance store.
    I see you're in Philly. Do you go to Paoli or Montgomeryville? I buy from Paoli when I buy from them. FWIW, your points are valid, and I personally don't see it as a rant. I think as buyers we certainly want consistency in policy from the vendors we choose to buy from. As for finding deals, I am in the same boat. I try to balance buying deals online and supporting my LBS. For example, the bike store near my home (not Performance) cut me a great deal on a BMX frame and crankset for a build I will be doing with my son. I told the owner straight up that I would buy some of the parts from him, and some through other sources. I also told him that since he already cut me a deal on the frame and cranks, that I wouldn't haggle over anything else I purchase from him. I honored my word and on Saturday, purchased the saddle and seatpost clamp for $32. The same day, I ordered the brakes and front chainring to the tune of $120. After he cut me the deal on the frame and cranks, I GAVE him two NIB XT front derailleurs, and a set of generic skewers for 26" wheels because he's been good to me. I could sell them on ebay for $5-$10, but he might be able to get $15 or $20 for them on a repair or upgrade job for one of his customers. I also give him any repair jobs I can't handle on my own. It's a balance, IMO, and one that's working for me and hopefully for the guy who owns the bike shop.

Bob

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I buy from the monty store and always had good service from them. They have always been helpful went there to get a jamis and then found out about above mess. I do see a new mech in back i think. I went over to nj, in new brunswick to get a jamis commuter for road riding. I still have old mtb bike to ride in woods.

Members who have read this thread: 0