mtbr member

Ebay buyers - question for you from noob...

Anyone bought high end components (x0/xtr) from ebay sellers out of China/Taiwan?

Alot of these guys have what seems to be brand new sets of shifters/cranksets, etc as silly good prices, and they seller ratings are respectable. Shipping costs are reasonable.

I hate to be skeptical, but some things sound too good to be true. anyone have any experience with this???

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have bought a few items from one of them out of taiwan and it took a little over 2 weeks to get the items and it was exactly what I paid for. I will buy from them again if I have the time to wait.

mtbr member

Thanks, I appreciate

your input. I am looking at some xtr shifters -970's to be exact. some of these guys are selling for 60% of the price I would pay at my lbs.

mtbr member
    My buddy's only ebay purchase ever was a brand new '08 Fox F120RL for about $500 and $50 to ship from Hong Kong. I was a bit weary about it for him but it came within a week and has worked fine. BTW, the seller has some crazy rating like 3000+ positives at 100%. So that probably helps. All my purchases from ebay have been from the US.

mtbr member
    I bought an entire new XT drive train from various different companies in Taiwan via Ebay. Not the first problem. Understand that regular shipping from China is two weeks, though. Sometimes they ship the parts in different boxes than the original packaging to save on wieght and size for the shipping costs. They were not OEM items, all new. All the parts and docs were included with the merchandise. Check the seller rating and feel confident buying.

indigosky
    bought a Cane Creek S-2 headset from Hong Kong... it was a knock off. Cane Creek confirmed it.

surfer w/out waves
    i've purchased numerous items on EBAY... I try to stick to auctions from US cities only, it's more of a personal preference than anything else. Remember that most of what is "cycling" is made in Taiwan. If the deal is good I'd buy from a Taiwan location... but China and Hong Kong??? IMO you are more likely to get a knock-off.... just my thoughts.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant

Reviewer/Tester
    MR Bikeshop is 100% reliable. I've dealt with them dozens of times.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Drunk Poster
    I haven't bought anything from overseas on Ebay due to the fact I like to keep my dollars in the United States to help our economy. IT's bad enough most of the stuff is allready made overseas. The least I can do is try to keep the retail sales profits here. But then again if I really cared that much maybe I should be paying even more at the LBS...
    =)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jawndoe
    I haven't bought anything from overseas on Ebay due to the fact I like to keep my dollars in the United States to help our economy. IT's bad enough most of the stuff is allready made overseas. The least I can do is try to keep the retail sales profits here. But then again if I really cared that much maybe I should be paying even more at the LBS...
    When you buy in the United States, you may help someone make his payments on a 5-bedroom house when you buy something from him.
    When you buy in China, you may help someone have food on the table at the end of the day when you buy something from him.

Aquaman
    Have you check Cain Reaction Cycles in England. They have great prices on shimano. Usually lower that ebay

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Most bicycle components are made in china, which is why dealers in hong kong have them on ebay and let us not forget that Taiwan is a breakaway province of china, and that even though they're called Taiwan to most folks... the official name is REPUBLIC OF CHINA (ROC for short), whereas china proper is the People's Republic of China (PRC for short).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

We get titles?
    Quote Originally Posted by jawndoe
    Ebay's American, right? Ebay probably makes more money off a lot of these sales than the sellers do. Perfect for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

prawny
    another thumbs up for MR Bike shop- out of Hong Kong; couple of orders in as many years. along with CR- UK, kitted out a whole bike with 08' XT this time. no duty with either overseas to US. and yes, bone fide gear, no knock-offs.

surfer w/out waves
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Most bicycle components are made in china, which is why dealers in hong kong have them on ebay and let us not forget that Taiwan is a breakaway province of china, and that even though they're called Taiwan to most folks... the official name is REPUBLIC OF CHINA (ROC for short), whereas china proper is the People's Republic of China (PRC for short).
    which still amuses me... the old Chinese gov't was ousted by the People's Republic and they moved to the island of Taiwan reinstated their gov't there as the ROC and the Western countries won't recognise it as the ROC due to fear of the "Big" China getting po'd especially since even when we were scared sh*tless of Commies we were buying billions in dollars of products made in China... now Taiwan has really come about as a global manufacturing giant.

in regards to China and Hong Kong, they have more of a lax enforcement when it comes to copywright infringement... meaning the odds of you getting a knock-off goes up, especially when the products are made in Taiwan.... just do an Ebay search for "micro rc helicopter" and you'll be amazed at the amount of different brand names for what appears to be the same product!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I bought a new Manitou R7 elite absolute from a seller in Taiwan. I was a little skeptical, mainly because it was a color that Manitou does not show on its website (white). But Maintou makes their forks in Taiwan, so I assume that it is coming direct from whatever factory makes them (it came in a Spinner forks box with a Manitou manual). The price was cheap, but the shipping was expensive. It arrived in 4 days! It was in perfect condtion and exactly as described so I was really happy. I bought it because I wanted an R7 eilte absolute in white, and they only have them in primer gray here (or red for the MRD).
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member

M R Bikestore

Ordered twice. Once for some cheap headset spacers and once for XTR hubs. Prompt service and items were as described.

mtbr member
    I've had great experiences with International sales too with eBay. I'm not sure about Shimano, but many distributors have very different price lists w/ different MSRPs by region...not sure if this is driving part of the delta w/ Hong Kong...but the some of the deals from the hong kong sellers are GREAT! (despite the weak $).

I say check the feedback (most notably the recent feedback)...and go for it!
    1x9's rule

surfer w/out waves
    just bought some Ti skewers from MR bikestore... will let you know on the 411.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've bought a ton of parts (both bike and car) over EBay and never had a problem. The only time I received fake goods was a pair of counterfeit Quicksilver board shorts. I new the second I opened the package they were fake.

STINKY TOFU
    yup, ditto on Mr. Bike shop. I just picked up an 08 set of XO shifters and LC rear mech for $300 shipped. Two weeks to receive. Exactly as promised.
    "I'd pee on that"
    -R. Kelly-

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Another Holler at my boy Mike @mr. bikestore

Great deals and actually pretty fast shipping. I bought an XT 770 build kit with disc brakes, rapidfire shifters, rear cog, fr der, rr der, cranks and chain for 645.00 with shipping.
    Sweeeeet deal. Having said that, I also am building a Turner RFX that I just ordered a complete bike build kit from Colorado Cyclist for 2 g's. What did I get for that price you ask? Well let me tell you. Easton Havoc AM wheels, XT drivetrain(rapidfire of course, I don't do backfire), XT hydro's, Thomson Stem and Seatpost, Easton carbon bar, Kenda Nevagal's, XT pedal's, Velox tape, store brand tubes, saddle and grips(I have my own fav saddle and grips) You can customize the whole kit like type of tires wheels shifters etc.etc.etc. and also the size of the stem and seatpost. Oh yeah I almost forgot, included in that price was a 2008 fox 36 talas rc2. You get 25% off the fork with the purchase of the kit. I thought it was a pretty fair deal for a complete stem to sturn bike build kit. Now if that damn frame would just arrive I would really be stoked.