All fat, all the time.

Easton EC70 Carbon bars

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you can live with the high rise version, Pricepoint has them at $59 with the advantage of free shipping rather than the punitive $9.25 that Bluesky charges to ship these bars.

Easton EC70 XC Riser Bar 2013 | Easton | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

But in either case, you'll need to live with 685mm length, which is pretty short by today's standards. Unfortunately, adding another 35mm of length will cost you an extra $40+

All fat, all the time.
    Ahh...nice find!
    I missed that one on my search this morning...ooh well

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Easton EC70 Carbon bars

Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    If you can live with the high rise version, Pricepoint has them at $59 with the advantage of free shipping rather than the punitive $9.25 that Bluesky charges to ship these bars.

But in either case, you'll need to live with 685mm length, which is pretty short by today's standards. Unfortunately, adding another 35mm of length will cost you an extra $40+
    I'd settle for an extra $40. Any deals you know of on longer carbon bars? I'm considering the enve riser or Easton haven carbon but I'm not stuck on those, they just seem to be the more popular options. I'm only 5'8" and happy with my 710mm now, but it's aluminum, so I don't need anything too long. Or at least I don't think I need it.... Yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Damn, just paid 30 for an alloy bar on ebay, would have paid the extra for one of these.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brimorga View Post
    I'd settle for an extra $40. Any deals you know of on longer carbon bars? I'm considering the enve riser or Easton haven carbon but I'm not stuck on those, they just seem to be the more popular options. I'm only 5'8" and happy with my 710mm now, but it's aluminum, so I don't need anything too long. Or at least I don't think I need it.... Yet.
    Yep, I can't live with 685mm any more. I'm running 740mm alloy bars on my "burly" bike, and I just put 720mm bars on my marathon bike. I was able to get the new 2014 EC70 from Universal Cycles for $100, but YMMV. I did a price match on Universal's 720mm 2014 EC70 to the Pricepoint $59 older 685mm version, and although the price match initially went through, they later contacted me to say they couldn't do the match since they were different products, but they offered me $100 for their 720mm version, which I thought was fair, so that's what I bought.

mtbr member
    I have these on one of my bikes and like them. Not as wide as some of the newer stuff, but work well for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just noticed that Western Bike Works has the new 2014 EC70 (720mm length) on sale for $109:

Easton EC70 Riser MTB Handlebar at WesternBikeworks

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just paid $66.67 for the 2013 dark version, high rise, including free shipping but tax was included, shipped to a California address. Thanks for the great info.

All fat, all the time.
    Mine just showed up today, looks nice and pretty light to boot. Def not the widest out there, but I'm currently on 660mm so this should be nice.

banned
    Feb 2004

Did I wait too long on this? Looks like shipping is no longer free, they ding you for $10!

EDIT: Nevermind, got the code "THEBIGSALE" to work for free shipping still!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm glad you were able to resurrect the free shipping with the code. I remembered an email from last month which explicitly stated that free shipping was a new, consistent policy (graphic below) so it would have been irritating for Pricepoint to bail on that commitment so soon.

Easton EC70 Carbon bars-pricepoint.png
    Easton EC70 Carbon bars-pricepoint2.png

banned
    Feb 2004
    I'm glad you were able to resurrect the free shipping with the code. I remembered an email from last month which explicitly stated that free shipping was a new, consistent policy (graphic below) so it would have been irritating for Pricepoint to bail on that commitment so soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pricepoint.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	887663
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pricepoint2.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	887666
    I see......just tried again, without the code, charges me for ground shipping, over $50.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have the skinny on that. I placed an order this morning and got charged over $15 to ship some seatposts. I remember the email saying free shipping is permanent, and when I got home the banner saying "free shipping" was actually still on my computer. So...I called up pricepoint and asked what the deal was. The customer service girl was very nice and credited me the shipping, but she said that the free shipping "promo" ended. I said that I remembered the email saying it was permanent and she said that "they" (meaning management) changed their minds. I said that it looked bad and that it was being talked about in the forums already. She had kind of an "of crap" tone at that point and said she'd pass that on to management. She was very nice and kind of indicated that the customer service reps get caught in between that kind of stuff. So there it is, permanent means a couple weeks.
    Last edited by n74740; 04-22-2014 at 04:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Wow, that is pretty sad.

Quote Originally Posted by n74740 View Post
    I have the skinny on that. I placed an order this morning and got charged over $15 to ship some seatposts. I remember the email saying free shipping is permanent, and when I got home the banner saying "free shipping" was actually still on my computer. So...I called up pricepoint and asked what the deal was. The customer service girl was very nice and credited me the shipping, but she said that the free shipping "promo" ended. I said that I remembered the email saying it was permanent and she said that "they" (meaning management) changed their minds. I said that it looked bad and that it was being talked about in the forums already. She was had an "of crap" tone at that point and said she'd pass that on to management. She was very nice and kind of indicated that the customer service reps get caught in between that kind of stuff. So there it is, permanent means a couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Do all the carbon bars come painted black? I'd like the carbon look..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It is a pretty sad reflection on Pricepoint to make such an overt, aggressive statement ("not for a limited time, for good!"), sending a mass email to emphasize this very point, and then bail on it a month later.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Did I wait too long on this? Looks like shipping is no longer free, they ding you for $10!

EDIT: Nevermind, got the code "THEBIGSALE" to work for free shipping still!!!
    ya code's not working either.. though it shows in the header!!

Easton EC70 Carbon bars-freeshipping-.jpg
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I think pricepoint is wallowing. They're not the go-to shop anymore and starting to do things very wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Maybe its a glitch or they screwed something up while redoing the site... Lets give them some time to fix it

mtbr member
    May 2005

free shipping

Yeah, mine is still showing the banner too.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Clear your cookies

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    if their set up needs me to clear my cookies to make an order.... well then they should honor it as it's their issue
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    well, on the phone with them ... sat for a bit then got the "we'd like to call you back on this instead of keeping you on hold"....

soo we'll see...?

(EDIT)

got the call back.. getting the free shipping.. just this once.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's insane that Pricepoint would rescind the shipping policy after such a brief period of time.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Can't blame them though. I don't know how they make any money with some of the deals they throw out there. Then you factor in free shipping with an insanely low deal and it ends up being a loss for them

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It doesn't matter if a place says free shipping or not, it's all factored into their bottom line. Seeing "free shipping" makes people think they're getting a better deal. I think the bigger complaint people have is that they are flip flopping their policy.

I agree though, they do put on some good sales and I'll continue to buy from them if it's the best deal, free shipping or not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by n74740 View Post
    It doesn't matter if a place says free shipping or not, it's all factored into their bottom line. Seeing "free shipping" makes people think they're getting a better deal. I think the bigger complaint people have is that they are flip flopping their policy.
    Agreed. Somewhere along the way they must have crunched the numbers and likely concluded that the additional revenue from increased sales would have offset the additional costs for shipping. Either that or simply adjusted pricing.

Like you mentioned, it's just kind of messed up they would claim it was a permanent policy then change their minds shortly after.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    It is a pretty sad reflection on Pricepoint to make such an overt, aggressive statement ("not for a limited time, for good!"), sending a mass email to emphasize this very point, and then bail on it a month later.
    Very much agree. I've purchased so much from them in the past (mostly tools). Just sad. Oh well moving on.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    Do all the carbon bars come painted black? I'd like the carbon look..
    They are not painted at all.
    If you are looking for the glossy carbon weave look you might need to look at other brands. (Raceface, Richey)

mtbr member
    Or niner if flat.
    CRAMBA Chairman

More Torque
    That is BS that they are trying to backpedal under the radar, which is all the more egregious given the vehemence with which they made the "For Good" proclamation. Not to mention that even with their "free" shipping, they still hit you with mandatory insurance charge. Overall, I've been pleased with the service that I've received from PP, but with competitors such as Jenson providing a near-equivalent offering w/o the shenanigans, no need to shop at price point.

Honestly, I find the whole thing a bit insulting. Do your due diligence and ROI analysis on the front end. How could their projections be so far off anyhow? If, after a period of time, you realize you made a mistake, man up, be transparent with your customers, throw them a bone (sorry, we f'd up....free shipping will continue to x date, or give 2 free shipping codes to everyone on the email distro) and move on. Jeez....

-D

mtbr member
    SPEEDGOAT! ALL over again.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My best guess is that the volatility in their policies is a consequence of some sort of personal/personnel drama. Functional organizations don't bounce back and forth like this. But if free shipping was a divisive topic among management, its easy to imagine some policy flip-flopping if the balance of power in management was shifting.

Just my speculation to take us even further off-topic from the OP!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    My best guess is that the volatility in their policies is a consequence of some sort of personal/personnel drama. Functional organizations don't bounce back and forth like this. But if free shipping was a divisive topic among management, its easy to imagine some policy flip-flopping if the balance of power in management was shifting.

Just my speculation to take us even further off-topic from the OP!
    ya, I was actually thinking the same line of thought.. some Web guy getting laid off.. sent it out as a last burn..

FriendlyNeighborhoodMTBer
    The more relevant comparison would be Bluesky Cycling. They also tried to go the Jenson route but as Pricepoint is finding out, it ain't easy.
    If you can't play, display.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Damn, just paid 30 for an alloy bar on ebay, would have paid the extra for one of these.
    Sold the bar locally on craigslist for what it cost and picked up the EC70 instead, turned up today. Thanks OP!
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member

Sorry for what might be a stupid question, but I have a GT Karakoram 2.0, and the stock bar is a:

All Terra 1 1/8" Threadless, 3D Forged, 4-Bolt W/ CNC Face Plate, 5° Rise, 31.8mm Clamp

Does that 5° Rise correspond to the 5 degree upsweep in "9 degree bend, 5 degree upsweep" that is given in the description for the EC70? What exactly does high rise refer to, and why is it good/bad?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    All Terra 1 1/8" Threadless, 3D Forged, 4-Bolt W/ CNC Face Plate, 5° Rise, 31.8mm Clamp

Does that 5° Rise correspond to the 5 degree upsweep in "9 degree bend, 5 degree upsweep" that is given in the description for the EC70? What exactly does high rise refer to, and why is it good/bad?
    The spec you're quoting is for the stem, not the bar. Your stock bar is the "All Terra 6061 Aluminum Flat Top Riser, 690mm Width, 15mm Rise, 31.8mm Clamp"
    As you can see, it doesn't bother to mention the bend or upsweep on the bar. The high rise Easton bar is a 40mm rise, I believe, while the low rise is 20mm. This refers to the difference in height between the clamp point (middle) of the bar and the bar ends.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Anymore carbon bar deals? 685+mm and also trying to avoid CA tax.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BushWhacker304 View Post
    Anymore carbon bar deals? 685+mm and also trying to avoid CA tax.
    Jenson @$55. Smoking price still for great bars!
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I must work on my internet search skills. I cannot find it. Any link on the $55 carbon bar that is 685+mm?

mtbr member
    I only see the flat ones at 650mm at $55.00

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BushWhacker304 View Post
    I must work on my internet search skills. I cannot find it. Any link on the $55 carbon bar that is 685+mm?
    It's across the pond but good price. New bars from On-One "Knuckleball"

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOKNU...ball-handlebar

Their USA store (Planet X USA Web Store) might be able to get them also but I've never had a problem ordering direct from on one in the uk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    It's across the pond but good price. New bars from On-One "Knuckleball"

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOKNU...ball-handlebar

Their USA store (Planet X USA Web Store) might be able to get them also but I've never had a problem ordering direct from on one in the uk
    I love the way those look. The white and orange in 747mm would be something I'd probably add to my cart right now if it was $55.