Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Did I do that?"
    May 2013
    Can't blame them though. I don't know how they make any money with some of the deals they throw out there. Then you factor in free shipping with an insanely low deal and it ends up being a loss for them

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It doesn't matter if a place says free shipping or not, it's all factored into their bottom line. Seeing "free shipping" makes people think they're getting a better deal. I think the bigger complaint people have is that they are flip flopping their policy.

I agree though, they do put on some good sales and I'll continue to buy from them if it's the best deal, free shipping or not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by n74740 View Post
    It doesn't matter if a place says free shipping or not, it's all factored into their bottom line. Seeing "free shipping" makes people think they're getting a better deal. I think the bigger complaint people have is that they are flip flopping their policy.
    Agreed. Somewhere along the way they must have crunched the numbers and likely concluded that the additional revenue from increased sales would have offset the additional costs for shipping. Either that or simply adjusted pricing.

Like you mentioned, it's just kind of messed up they would claim it was a permanent policy then change their minds shortly after.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    It is a pretty sad reflection on Pricepoint to make such an overt, aggressive statement ("not for a limited time, for good!"), sending a mass email to emphasize this very point, and then bail on it a month later.
    Very much agree. I've purchased so much from them in the past (mostly tools). Just sad. Oh well moving on.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    Do all the carbon bars come painted black? I'd like the carbon look..
    They are not painted at all.
    If you are looking for the glossy carbon weave look you might need to look at other brands. (Raceface, Richey)
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Or niner if flat.

More Torque
    That is BS that they are trying to backpedal under the radar, which is all the more egregious given the vehemence with which they made the "For Good" proclamation. Not to mention that even with their "free" shipping, they still hit you with mandatory insurance charge. Overall, I've been pleased with the service that I've received from PP, but with competitors such as Jenson providing a near-equivalent offering w/o the shenanigans, no need to shop at price point.

Honestly, I find the whole thing a bit insulting. Do your due diligence and ROI analysis on the front end. How could their projections be so far off anyhow? If, after a period of time, you realize you made a mistake, man up, be transparent with your customers, throw them a bone (sorry, we f'd up....free shipping will continue to x date, or give 2 free shipping codes to everyone on the email distro) and move on. Jeez....

-D

mtbr member
    SPEEDGOAT! ALL over again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My best guess is that the volatility in their policies is a consequence of some sort of personal/personnel drama. Functional organizations don't bounce back and forth like this. But if free shipping was a divisive topic among management, its easy to imagine some policy flip-flopping if the balance of power in management was shifting.

Just my speculation to take us even further off-topic from the OP!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    My best guess is that the volatility in their policies is a consequence of some sort of personal/personnel drama. Functional organizations don't bounce back and forth like this. But if free shipping was a divisive topic among management, its easy to imagine some policy flip-flopping if the balance of power in management was shifting.

Just my speculation to take us even further off-topic from the OP!
    ya, I was actually thinking the same line of thought.. some Web guy getting laid off.. sent it out as a last burn..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

FriendlyNeighborhoodMTBer
    The more relevant comparison would be Bluesky Cycling. They also tried to go the Jenson route but as Pricepoint is finding out, it ain't easy.
    If you can't play, display.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Damn, just paid 30 for an alloy bar on ebay, would have paid the extra for one of these.
    Sold the bar locally on craigslist for what it cost and picked up the EC70 instead, turned up today. Thanks OP!
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    If you can live with the high rise version, Pricepoint has them at $59 with the advantage of free shipping rather than the punitive $9.25 that Bluesky charges to ship these bars.

Easton EC70 XC Riser Bar 2013 | Easton | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

But in either case, you'll need to live with 685mm length, which is pretty short by today's standards. Unfortunately, adding another 35mm of length will cost you an extra $40+
    Sorry for what might be a stupid question, but I have a GT Karakoram 2.0, and the stock bar is a:

All Terra 1 1/8" Threadless, 3D Forged, 4-Bolt W/ CNC Face Plate, 5 Rise, 31.8mm Clamp

Does that 5 Rise correspond to the 5 degree upsweep in "9 degree bend, 5 degree upsweep" that is given in the description for the EC70? What exactly does high rise refer to, and why is it good/bad?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    All Terra 1 1/8" Threadless, 3D Forged, 4-Bolt W/ CNC Face Plate, 5 Rise, 31.8mm Clamp

Does that 5 Rise correspond to the 5 degree upsweep in "9 degree bend, 5 degree upsweep" that is given in the description for the EC70? What exactly does high rise refer to, and why is it good/bad?
    The spec you're quoting is for the stem, not the bar. Your stock bar is the "All Terra 6061 Aluminum Flat Top Riser, 690mm Width, 15mm Rise, 31.8mm Clamp"
    As you can see, it doesn't bother to mention the bend or upsweep on the bar. The high rise Easton bar is a 40mm rise, I believe, while the low rise is 20mm. This refers to the difference in height between the clamp point (middle) of the bar and the bar ends.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Anymore carbon bar deals? 685+mm and also trying to avoid CA tax.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BushWhacker304 View Post
    Anymore carbon bar deals? 685+mm and also trying to avoid CA tax.
    Jenson @$55. Smoking price still for great bars!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I must work on my internet search skills. I cannot find it. Any link on the $55 carbon bar that is 685+mm?

mtbr member
    I only see the flat ones at 650mm at $55.00

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BushWhacker304 View Post
    I must work on my internet search skills. I cannot find it. Any link on the $55 carbon bar that is 685+mm?
    It's across the pond but good price. New bars from On-One "Knuckleball"

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOKNU...ball-handlebar

Their USA store (Planet X USA Web Store) might be able to get them also but I've never had a problem ordering direct from on one in the uk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    It's across the pond but good price. New bars from On-One "Knuckleball"

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOKNU...ball-handlebar

Their USA store (Planet X USA Web Store) might be able to get them also but I've never had a problem ordering direct from on one in the uk
    I love the way those look. The white and orange in 747mm would be something I'd probably add to my cart right now if it was $55.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2