Thread: e-bay prices

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

e-bay prices

What do you guys think of these sellers who seem to be selling your higher end products for several dollars cheaper even including shipping? Most of these guys are shipping from other countries and seem to have lots of good reviews. Sounds fishy to me.

Some will say support your local shop but I can't stand being around such morons sometimes. I'm tired of walking in to a shop and seeing 15 - 16 yr olds who don't know much trying to answer questions. It gets very dewshbaggish.

Just wondering if y'all have had any experience or know of it being a scam.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    it's not news that you can get stuff cheaper on ebay. most of the time it's fine, but if there is a problem it can be a real hassle. It's up to you to decide if the savings is worth the risk.

FWIW, i've never been REALLY burned, just end up w/ slightly wrong part numbers or takes a bit to get the item. Sometimes it's nice to "hold it in your hand" before buying it like you can at your LBS.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    I've had decent luck on eBay but generally I buy second hand merchandise not new stuff. The times I've bought new I wasn't exactly disappointed but I wasn't overwhelmed either. Service can be slow and unless they list actual model numbers or show pictures of the actual item sometimes you don't get exactly what you planned on. I've never bought from out of country and would hesitate to buy anything large that way.

The prices are lower because there is no overhead, many of these guys find deals then buy as much as they can and stuff it into their garage. They can profit on raisor thin margins because they have no expenses, no payroll, no rent... and likely pay little or no taxes. Even performance has to pay someone $7.50/ hour to go pick parts and stuff them in boxes, plus warehousing, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by squash00
    What do you guys think of these sellers who seem to be selling your higher end products for several dollars cheaper even including shipping? Most of these guys are shipping from other countries and seem to have lots of good reviews. Sounds fishy to me.

Some will say support your local shop but I can't stand being around such morons sometimes. I'm tired of walking in to a shop and seeing 15 - 16 yr olds who don't know much trying to answer questions. It gets very dewshbaggish.

Just wondering if y'all have had any experience or know of it being a scam.
    I have an Ebay store that sells high quality bikes, frames, parts. I make a part time living out of buying inventory from several sources including bankrupted shops, late model year stuff and overstocks. I have a small storage 16'X16' packed to the hilt wih stuff.

I don't ship out of US cause I've been burned on import duties in the past.

I also buy occoasionally from ebay and have nevr been ripped off. I did have a guy sell me a rp23 that he didn't actually have at the time so it took 2 months to get it.

Read feedback and trust your instincts!

check out my store sometime -mountain cycle sports