Thread: Dropper Posts?

mtbr member

Dropper Posts?

This is high on my wish list this year. I'll probably wait till closer to Christmas time unless one of you points out a crazy good deal; but I don't even know which one of the many offerings I'm aiming for.

I do want a handlebar remote, but don't care about much more than does it work. I'm a clyde and can use all the help I can get climbing but because I love riding tech, I keep my seatpost in a compromise position nearly all the time. I think having a dropper post will be like having my cake and eating it too.

two wheel whore
    I have the KS i950 with remote. I'm 220 w/o gear. Works great - be sure to get stanchion lube. I got it on ebay for 240 shipped. I think you can find them for 270 elsewhere. Creaks a little bit since the clamp is independent from the post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jenson has a '12 Reverb for $239, and KS i950 for $269.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would be wary of buying a '12 reverb . They are priced so low and still in stock for a reason. The '13 and '14 Reverbs seem to have things worked out.

mtbr member

Re: Dropper Posts?

Or buy the '12 hope it fails in warranty and get it replaced with the newer version. Seriously though my 2012 reverb is doing fine.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What about the Giant Contact Switch? Looks like you can get those for under $200 ($160 here: Giant Contact Switch Remote Seatpost | eBay). I don't have any experience with it myself, but it's cheap!

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post
    What about the Giant Contact Switch? Looks like you can get those for under $200 ($160 here: Giant Contact Switch Remote Seatpost | eBay). I don't have any experience with it myself, but it's cheap!
    I just found a used one and grabbed it for 125 locally, looks and works as new, I'm happy. Seems nice so far but don't have much time on it.feels smooth and works well.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the leads everyone...keep em coming. I just recently read a review of the new GIANT Trance which was spec'd with a GIANT dropper post and the reviewers specifically singled it out as one of the weak links. Of course those reviews seem to be done by bike snobs who demand zero slop, zero noise on all their stuff.

I'd think as long as it goes up and down when I need it to and doesn't turn sideways enough snag pantlegs I'd be happy.

mtbr member

Dropper Posts?

Ks lev. Previously had gravity dropper and reverbs. Lev is smoother faster and the cable is stationary.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just bought a KS E-Ten from Modern Bike for $139,free shipping. I like it so far. Goes up, drops down, what else is there? It's not the lightest, I'm sure, and it only has 100mm of drop, but I don't care.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have a crank brothers dropper and have had great luck with it. I have rebuilt it once and that is it. The only thing it has is some side to side play which from what I understand is somewhat typical with some droppers

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i also have a cb kronolog, 10 months of abuse (somo and rocky trails) and post finally started slipping, sent it back to CB under warranty. they repaired and im getting it back tomorrow(less than 2 weeks lead time). pretty good deal i think, i got it for about $230 with coupon at universal or cambria bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    KS Lev here too. When I first got it seemed a little sticky but after a few runs it feels pretty smooth.

-dx

mtbr member

Dropper Posts?

I have used the LEV and the '11 and '13 versions of the Reverb. The LEV is great, but the cable actuation isn't as good as the new Reverb. The older was good, too, but I had it warrantied 3 times before they sent me a new one. Zero problems in 6 months with the new one.

All told, I like the Reverb the best.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    So, every post out there has known problems?
    And they're all expensive as heck.
    And when they break it sucks.
    Sounds like the holy grail of dropper posts is still yet to come.
    (maybe it'll be the Thomson......for the price of a new wheelset)