mtbr member
    May 2004

Discount Frames ?

Does anyone know who the major bike manufacturers use to build their frames? Would it be possible to order frames direct from the manufacturer and skip the middleman? I've heard someone say that Hodaka is one of the frame builders that bike manufacturers use.

I noticed that several frames that go on sale at Pricepoint (e.g. Sette) look identical to other discount frames ( e.g. harveycycles). I've also heard that other brands like Turner, Kona, Azonic outsource the frame builds to Tiawan.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    get away from sette i was thinking about that but ddecided no than i was going to go with leader 626s good cheap choice but after i found this i was in Love!
    the website is off i called them and they said the giant trance1 frame 2005 is $499, 2006 $749
    http://www.bobs-bicycles.com/catalog...hp?cPath=33_38

Freshly Fujified

In short, no

No major manufacturer will sell you a single frame. Boutique manufacturers, absolutely. Places like Ibex, Leader, Sette (Price Point) and a few others will sell what they buy from the actual manufacturer directly to the customer without the LBS in the middle. Other places like Bob's bicycles will buy sizable lots from manufacturers and sell at a discounted price (e.g. Wolfenstein's example with the Trance). So, depending on how you define "direct from the manufacturer" the answer could be yes or no.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Members who have read this thread: 0