Thread: Disc wheelset?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Disc wheelset?

2 questions for you good folks...
    1. Has anyone had any experiences with Sage Cycles?
    They've got the 07 Mavic Crossrides for $170 in black and $150 in silver.
    I had found a set of like-new on craigslist, but haven't heard back from the seller now for almost a week.

2. Does anyone know of a better deal for a modest disc wheelset?
    I'm doing a rebuild on my wife's FSR and intend to go with disc wheels. She's only an occassional off-road rider and isn't the thrashing type. I was initially thinking of just picking up one of the factory-built XT hubbed sets from Jenson or PricePoint, then decided on the Velocity VXCs for $165 after more research, but haven't pulled the trigger yet on anything.
    The Crossrides caught my eye while craigslist surfing, and seem to be at least worth considering...

wandering lost
    Nov 2006
    Sage Cycles is great!

I have placed a few separate orders through them, and zero problems. Lots of hard-to-find stuff also available on the "special order" page, and usually at a decent price. No problems with shipping and service. Factoring in the free shipping, 15% discount, and no taxes and the prices can be great. Rick has even shipped to a third party (my brother in California) for me without any trouble. Never had to return anything yet (and generally never bother anyway), so can't comment on returns. But bottom line: good service, good prices, zero problems.

I think the Crossrides look interesting, probably pretty good for the price. At similar price I bought black Mavic 717's on XT 6-bolt disc hubs and those have been great for an everyday/trainer wheelset that only weighs 1870g. That's probably lighter than a lot of wheels on "race" bikes from some companies, but I have Stan's Olympics on Kings for racing....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Good Results With Crossrides

VTMike - I've been rolling the Crossrides for the better part of a year with great results. Good bang for the buck...go for 'em.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the feedback folks. I appreciate it.

Any thoughts on the Velocity product?
    I've used their rims, and think very, very highly of them. And got a great review on their hubs from a big-time wheelbuilder who sells tons of mid to high-end stuff.