mtbr member
    Dec 2006

DH bike shopping is hard...help me!

Dearest internet friends...I am in the market for a DH bike. There are none in any of my LBS, due to my location about 4 hours away from any DH runs.

Ideally, this bike would be new. I know how terribly I treat my equipment, and don't trust other people not to do the same, despite what they say. When I strike out for finding new I will move on to the used market, but for now I want to try to find a new bike (complete).

I will need a size Medium, and I have no brand preference. I was originally going to grab a Sette Vexx, but they only have size small. I don't want to spend more than $2500 for something I am going to use 4 times a year.

I haven't ran into any amazing deals. There were a few on chainlove a few months ago when they still had the medium Vexx in stock, so I didn't pay attention...bummer!

Anyone have any good recommendations? I am honestly thinking about buying the small Vexx and a medium frame from somewhere online and swapping parts over...that damn Vexx is just so cheap!
    X-prezo Super-D, 26in style.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Qbike

Give Qbike.com or spadout.com a try.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What about the airbourne taka? $1400 and available in a medium. A friend picked one up last year seemed like a solid value for the money, especially if you only plan on using it 4x a year.

zombie freerider
    Why not just rent when you go to the resorts? It sounds like you're looking to not blow a ton of money so this is the most cost-effective (and hassle-free) way to go. You'll probably end up riding a nicer bike too!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SaddleRags View Post
    Why not just rent when you go to the resorts? It sounds like you're looking to not blow a ton of money so this is the most cost-effective (and hassle-free) way to go. You'll probably end up riding a nicer bike too!
    There are a few trails around me that have a bunch of jumps in the like, so it will get more than 4 times a year use...but not nearly as much as my AM bike.

Plus, my wife said I could! Need I say more! The wife gives you permission to spend money and you do it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice! That Airborne might be the ticket. Seems to me like the same frame as the Vexx (in terms of overall lay-out, single pivot, geometry, etc.), with a lower component spec. That being said, the drivetrain is fine, the brakes will need upgrading, and the rear shock will probably need to go at some point or another. I am guessing the fork will be OK, heavy, and not super adjustable...but lets face it I usually just run with a bit of high speed compression damping and otherwise wide open on my lyrik.

I consider myself a intermediate to advanced rider...but I have only DHed a few times but like trying everything but gaps over 20 feet. Do you think this bike will be severely limiting? I am not looking to race it, just get taken to the top of the mountain and bomb down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Question: Is there such a thing as a 2011 Kona Stinky Air?

This is my first post on this site and I am new into the MTB scene. I found a bike that I want to buy. The website has it advertised as a 2011 Kona Stinky Air but when I search online for that bike all I find is 09's. I've searched on the Kona website under their 2011 models and don't see it on there either. Also, I know that each year a model comes out the manufacturer changes the color and paint scheme and the one advertised is identical in color to the 09's that I see....
    So is there such a thing as a 2011 Kona Stinky Air or is this website advertising a 2009 as an 2011??
    Any replies are appreciated.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Might be a scam website,
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey View Post
    Nice! That Airborne might be the ticket. Seems to me like the same frame as the Vexx (in terms of overall lay-out, single pivot, geometry, etc.), with a lower component spec. That being said, the drivetrain is fine, the brakes will need upgrading, and the rear shock will probably need to go at some point or another. I am guessing the fork will be OK, heavy, and not super adjustable...but lets face it I usually just run with a bit of high speed compression damping and otherwise wide open on my lyrik.

I consider myself a intermediate to advanced rider...but I have only DHed a few times but like trying everything but gaps over 20 feet. Do you think this bike will be severely limiting? I am not looking to race it, just get taken to the top of the mountain and bomb down.
    I'd be concerned with the lack of adjustability on both the rear and front suspension, the really weak brakes, and the steep HA (66 degrees). If you upgrade the suspension, brakes, and add a angleset headset, it will probably be cheaper to just bite the bullet now and get a better bike. Huck and Roll has a Kona Stinky Air - XT/XTR Build for $2K.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Seen lots of deals on Driver 8s lately, though may not be a true DH bike..

mtbr member
    Airborne Taka gets my recommendation. I've owned one since last April. @ $1400 I have no complaints.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Check out Wheelworld.com. They are (trying to) clearing out a bunch of old Giant Glory bikes for under $2500

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Huck n Roll is very good to me so far. I've never personally bought a bike but i have gotten jerseys, drivetrain parts and tools. Never had a problem yet

Members who have read this thread: 0