Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trail Ninja

Deuter and Vaude hydration packs (higher quality than Camelbak) $38-40

Department of Goods is having a sale on some notably high quality hydration packs, up to 70% off, for about $38 + about $8 S/H (plus tax if shipped to an Utah address). Free shipping if you spend over $50.

These Deuter Race X Air I packs are exceptional for cycling. They're lightweight, low profile, cool and comfortable, fit securely, have an excellent water bladder and bite valve, and is tough against the elements.
    Guy version: http://www.departmentofgoods.com/deu...e-x-air-i-pack
    Girl version: http://www.departmentofgoods.com/deu...hydration-pack

These Vaude packs are a bit more versatile than the Deuters, with more carrying capacity in mind, with have similar German engineering in them. Good for cycling, hiking, or whatever.
    Larger model: http://www.departmentofgoods.com/vau...h-air-205-pack
    Smaller model: http://www.departmentofgoods.com/vau...r-air-143-pack

Not as hot of a deal, but if you want something even higher in quality and versatility, check out this one for $83:
    http://www.departmentofgoods.com/nat...-pack-183cu-in

I personally use the Deuter Race X Air I and find it's MUCH BETTER than any Camelbak. I have a review on it posted on the site if you want to know more. Vaude is a very high quality brand too, but I prefer the light and cool comfort design of Deuter better.

These do pop up on Chainlove.com, but oddly enough, they're cheaper here and you can get free shipping. Should be easy to find some useful "filler" for "$8 off". Grease, lube, degreaser, some accessories like a bandana, or something more expensive.

Class Clown
    i have a deuter and it rocks

Trail Ninja
    Yea. The only thing I wish for is better styling! Maybe a pouch on top of the main compartment like what Vaude has, but I just hung one of my own from the velcro hanging strap. I modded my bite valve to hang like the osprey ones for less than $2. I could've done it cheaper, but I wanted to try with magnets and tape rather than having it hang by a clip.

Looking at their new version, maybe they are learning: http://www.deuter.com/en_US/backpack...ce%20EXP%20Air

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata
    i have a deuter and it rocks
    I run the Race X and can say it's the best pack I've ever used. Great for keeping your back cool as I live in AZ and often ride in 100 degree+ temps.

Class Clown
    yep that's what i have the race X air. it's fairly small so it doesn't get in the way, has the nice back thing going on like you said, and plenty of room for water, tools, food, whatever.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Ah, so much to buy, so little money!

At those prices, I might have to bump down that new set of wheels I've been wanting to get and instead purchase that 20x5 Vaude pack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thanks.

excellent deal.

To fill out my order to over $50 for free shipping I also ordered some Accelerade which was also a super good deal.
    TEX

Kaishingo
    How can you tell the difference between the men's and women's deuters? Per the links above (and the site) the "mens" version is sold out.

I need to get one for my wife anyways, but wouldn't mind a new pack myself.

Trail Ninja
    The SL version is a bit smaller and lighter. The color and packaging (has a flower on it) also serve as indicators.

It was in stock, but I guess the deal got out and people bought 'em all up.

Kaishingo
    Hmm - smaller, and lighter, eh? Maybe I can paint some blood or something spewing out of the flower. Should make it good and manly.

Jan 2008
    Varaxis, may I have your Deuter pack after you've killed yourself going off that 12-foot drop?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish
    Varaxis, may I have your Deuter pack after you've killed yourself going off that 12-foot drop?
    LOL. More like 12 foot vertical swan dive.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    LOL. More like 12 foot vertical swan dive.
    If it turns out that way... maybe. I'll need to charge a bit to cover the medical bills though!

mtbr member
    Anyone know of a good light, small around 50oz hyration pack for racing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas
    excellent deal.

To fill out my order to over $50 for free shipping I also ordered some Accelerade which was also a super good deal.
    Tex, i didnt see your post till now, but I ended up doing the exact same thing. Pulled the trigger on the larger Vaude pack last night. Looked for gloves, socks, shorts, etc. but came across the 50 serving accelerade for 12 bucks and went no further.

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/acc...o-sports-drink

Jan 2008
    I purchased the Vaude Splash Air 20+5 and threw in a saddlebag to qualify for free shipping. I ordered at about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday and, thanks to living about 2.5 hours north of SLC, my new pack arrived at 12:30 p.m. Thursday.

Not bad for free shipping.

mtbr member
    May 2010

New question here.

Do the Vaude packs come with the water bladder? I don't see in the description or photos anything about it. Is this an additional purchase?

Jan 2008
    Mine came with a hydration bladder, rain cover, and helmet whatchamacallit. I think those are standard for all Vaude xx+xx packs.

mtbr member
    yeah, it doesnt say exactly what all it comes with, but I did the little live chat thingy with a sales person and they confirmed it came with a bladder. figured it may come with a rain cover, since the dude with the money shot had one.

Mine will be in next wednesday, so we will see!! This seems like a killer deal....i think the last bladder i bought had a retail sticker of $28-30.

mtbr member
    pack came in the mail today. Got the vaude 25+5 and it comes with pack, vaude brande 2 L antimicrobal bladder, helmet holder sling, and raincover.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Mine is due to arrive any minute now.....

Trail Ninja
    I thought Vaude had a Deuter-like bladder, one where the entire top opens up, folds down, and gets sealed down by a sliding clip. That one looks like an old Camelbak's bladder. Doesn't have the locking 90d bend bite valve either...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    I thought Vaude had a Deuter-like bladder, one where the entire top opens up, folds down, and gets sealed down by a sliding clip. That one looks like an old Camelbak's bladder. Doesn't have the locking 90d bend bite valve either...
    1+ seriously. I was a little disappointed when I saw the bladder....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was disappointed when I saw my Vaudes bladder also, I like my camebacks bladder and feed tube better. Overall i like the Vaude pack better though, the suspension back did keep my back from sweating as much and I could feel the air flow behind it.

Save Jesus
    Also, the Vaude bladder tastes like toxins.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast