Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Deore XT drive train and brakes, less than $700 shipped ($683, YMMV)

UPDATE: Received both my orders, all's well that ends well. A lot of details below for anyone considering ordering from either company. (Neither is a scam, and if you do order from either your experience may differ significantly.)

TL;DR I bought from CRC and bike-discount, and paid $683, see spreadsheet for what from where

-

This is a bit of a different post from most of what I see in the deal forum, but I did a lot of research into different places to order gear from to order a full Deore XT set, including the RT86 Icetech rotors, M786 derailleurs and the 2x10 config I wanted.

Every build kit I would find would have an issue. Things like only a triple crank set, or the "Ice-Tec Disc Brake Pads" with RT66 rotors instead of RT86 rotors, SLX crankset, long deraillieur only, the bottom bracket was included but wasn't a press-fit, I had to buy the same size rotors, etc. (Good deals, but not great, and not what I wanted.)

I spent a long time going to a bunch of different sites and eventually figured out the only way I was getting what I wanted was to order everything individually, a build kit wasn't going to work. (I wanted RT86 rotors, 180 front, 160 back, medium deraillieur (M786), press fit bottom bracket, 2x10)

I put together a spreadsheet of all the options I could find, and then narrowed it down to large, legitimate stores that were clear about what they had in stock. It won't surprise many of you that the best prices were in Europe, and since I don't mind waiting a few weeks for the gear to show up, I figured the savings was so substantial that I'd go for it.

I had signed up for Chain Reaction Cycles during my search, and they sent me a coupon for $10 off $99 that made it easy to choose them and bike-discount.com as the two places I'd order from. Here's a list of what their prices were when I ordered yesterday:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...NFOKxY/pubhtml

With the $10 off, it was $682.92.

I asked Biker Bob, who I can't say enough good things about, if he could be in that ballpark, and his response implied that no legitimate US Shimano reseller would be in that ballpark, and that if I was willing to take the risks of ordering from the two stores in Europe, that was a very attractive price.

I don't know if that will help anyone else, but after doing all that digging myself, I thought it might help someone else who's interested.

If you're thinking about making a similar purchase, my recommendation would be to sign up for CRC and give them a day or two to see if you get the $10 off $99 coupon in a welcome e-mail like I did.
    Last edited by peteer01; 07-03-2014 at 11:05 AM.

mtbr member
    I got shipping confirmation from both. Now to see how long before they arrive, and what it looks like when I get it.

mtbr member
    Bike-Discount.de's package showed up to. No tarriff, taxes or anything else to pay. Signature was required upon delivery. I've always been hesitant to order from some of these places because I hear about OEM stuff showing up in plastic bags. Here's what showed up:

Deore XT drive train and brakes, less than 0 shipped (3, YMMV)-img_4572.jpgDeore XT drive train and brakes, less than 0 shipped (3, YMMV)-img_4573.jpgDeore XT drive train and brakes, less than 0 shipped (3, YMMV)-img_4574.jpgDeore XT drive train and brakes, less than 0 shipped (3, YMMV)-img_4575.jpgDeore XT drive train and brakes, less than 0 shipped (3, YMMV)-img_4576.jpg

I ordered everything on the 12th and got it a week later on the 19th. Pretty impressive for coming from Germany. None of my fears around delivery time, product, packaging or tarriffs and taxes were issues.

I actually ordered the wrong front derailleur (clamp mount) and called bike-discount with Skype to let them know of the error. They swapped in the direct mount I needed, and I'm super impressed they were able to make sure I got the right equipment despite an error on my side.

For comparison, I ordered stuff from Pricepoint on the 11th. Here's what showed up yesterday:

Deore XT drive train and brakes, less than 0 shipped (3, YMMV)-img_4569.jpgDeore XT drive train and brakes, less than 0 shipped (3, YMMV)-img_4570a.jpg

This is one of the nicer packed Pricepoint packages I've gotten. I used to love them, but I've had a bit of a love-hate relationship with them in 2014. That said, Pricepoint did fine in this case, and sent their box to me in the same amount of time that it took for bike-discount.de to get my package to me, one week.

I'm still waiting for the Chain Reaction Cycles package. There is no tracking number, but I'll update with what I receive when I receive it.

I hope this info is helpful for others.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Very helpful!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tubored View Post
    Very helpful!
    Thanks. FWIW, CRC's package hasn't arrived yet. I'll update again as soon as it does, and I'll probably fire off an e-mail to them if it doesn't arrive soon.

mtbr member
    Went ahead and wrote them before heading to bed last night, here's a snippet from their reply:

...Just to let you know, its not possible to track this service.

There are a couple of things we would ask you to do before we take this matter further. Wed really appreciate it if you could check your parcel hasnt been left with a neighbour or if a calling card has been left at your address. If you have received a calling card please follow the instructions on this.

If youve already checked the above and the parcel still hasnt arrived after 15 full working days (Monday-Friday)...
    I'm a bit nervous at this point, as Royal Mail's website lists a delivery aim of "5-7 working days", which means they aim to get it here at the same time, or shortly after, the arrival of the bike-discount package.

I picked up my Horsethief frame, which I can't finish building until getting a Pike fork that I knew couldn't ship out until the end of the month when I ordered it, but I was hoping to at least have all the drive train components to start assembling by now, and working on it this weekend. We'll see if Friday brings any nice packages or not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I bet you'll be fine - at least I hope so! Delivery from the UK can be variable, sometimes really fast, sometimes not so much. I'm waiting for a small package from CRC myself right now. I've never had a problem with them in the past, so hopefully it will work out for you.

BTW, that's a great spreadsheet. I did a similar thing when I put together my build, shared the spreadsheet with a few people - nice to let others benefit from all the hard work that goes into it! I ended up buying from 7 or 8 different vendors to put together the whole build. I'm sure it's not worth it on some level, but sometimes there are remarkably large differences in prices, and you don't know unless you check!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I can add a good experience with the 10% sale earlier this year on many of the same Shimano XT components from Ribble. The prices were excellent with free shipping. But the really good part was Jenson price matched everything including free shipping in retail packages after a phone call. Even the stuff I had ordered from them several weeks earlier.

Wēk Ss
    I order from CRC all the time. Also, IIRC, the crank includes the BB, as I noticed you have it itemized separately. I ordered the same cranks from CRC for my wife and son, both came with BB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    I order from CRC all the time. Also, IIRC, the crank includes the BB, as I noticed you have it itemized separately. I ordered the same cranks from CRC for my wife and son, both came with BB.
    They do come with threaded BBs, but the frame I've purchased is press fit, so I need a press fit BB.

mtbr member
    So my Pricepoint, Jenson and Bike-Discount boxes all showed up within a week of ordering, but I'm still waiting on pedals, the CRC box and a package from BikerBob that hasn't shipped yet because BikerBob has everything but the fork, which is what he's waiting on before he ships everything to me.

I was hopeful the fork would be in by the end of the month, and that it'd be on it's way to me, and the pedals are on their way with a tracking number, so I'll have them next week, but at this point, the one unpleasant surprise is that CRC's package still hasn't shown up.

I'm a few days away from being able to register it as lost in the mail, something I haven't had happen with an online purchase save for once 8 years ago. That package didn't show up in the expected time frame, this was the result:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peteer01/428174157/

I'd be thrilled to go home today and find a nice looking package on my doorstep, but considering I ordered on the 12th of last month, and they immediately shipped it out, I'm losing hope in the original package being delivered at this point. (And yes, I've checked my address multiple times. It is correct.)

Knowing some people have had success with Jenson USA price matching CRC, if I were to go back in time, I would have gladly ordered from bike-discount.de, which did give a tracking number, but I would have tried to get Jenson to match CRC, since they do provide a UPS tracking number that lets you know where your package is.

mtbr member
    Sooo...my CRC package finally showed up, and I am very disappointed.

The easiest way to explain what I received and why I'm frustrated is to simply share the letter I sent them: (start)

Kimiko/CRC Customer Service,

My package finally arrived today. It arrived having sustained obvious damage in transit. Attached are the photos of order CRC976703160 as it arrived on my doorstep, there are multiple issues with my order:

Issue 1: Total Price
    Deore XT drive train and brakes, less than 0 shipped (3, YMMV)-10off.jpg
    I used coupon code 9KT8K, but did not receive $10 OFF on my order as I was supposed to. Instead, I was charged full price for every item. I used this coupon code one day after I received it in my inbox.

Issues 2-4: Package Contents

Please see below for the photos taken of the package on my doorstep and what was inside of it:
    Deore XT drive train and brakes, less than 0 shipped (3, YMMV)-img_4654a.jpgDeore XT drive train and brakes, less than 0 shipped (3, YMMV)-img_4655a.jpgDeore XT drive train and brakes, less than 0 shipped (3, YMMV)-img_4656a.jpgDeore XT drive train and brakes, less than 0 shipped (3, YMMV)-img_4657a.jpg

My order was as follows:

Black, Pair - Bar Mount
    Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Trigger Shifter
    Black, Pair - Bar Mount
    sku255634
    Now $79.99
    RRP $119.99 | Save 33%

The shifters are in two different colored plastic bags, one pink and one white. Only one actually has the aluminium end cap that clips down on the cable. This looks like a part that was taken off of a bike and repacked and sold as new, but it does not include the aluminium end cap

Black, 10 Speed - 2 Pack
    SRAM PowerLock Chain Connector
    Black, 10 Speed - 2 Pack
    sku40401
    Now $4.99
    RRP $17.00 | Save 71%

This was not in the package, it simply wasn't included. I don't know if it was small enough to fall out or simply not included in the package, but it is not there.

Silver, 160mm,
    Shimano XT-Saint RT86 Ice-Tech 6-Bolt Disc Rotor
    Silver, 160mm,
    sku255594
    Now $33.99
    RRP $49.99 | Save 32%

This was the one item that came new in box as expected.

Silver, 180mm,
    Shimano XT-Saint RT86 Ice-Tech 6-Bolt Disc Rotor
    Silver, 160mm,
    sku255594
    Now $33.99
    RRP $49.99 | Save 32%

This rotor came in a flat box labeled Chain Reaction Cycles, not the original Shimano packaging I would expect when ordering a new Shimano rotor. It seems everything is included with this.

With the damage the box has received, I have concerns about whether or not the rotors will be true, as they may have been damaged in shipping, especially the 180mm rotor which was flimsily packaged in a CRC paper envelope.

Please let me know what we can do to address the following issues:

I was not given $10 credit despite having code 9KT8K entered at checkout.
    I did not receive an aluminium end cap for one of the shifters, which does not look like new Shimano product.
    The 180mm rotor does not look like a new Shimano product
    The Powerlock chain connectors were not in the box.

Best Regards,
    (end)

So...that's where I am.

• package in transit for 3 weeks
    • package had shows up crushed with a large rotor sitting unprotected at the bottom of the box, but lacks obvious physical damage
    • all but one item not in original packaging
    • $10 off not applied, despite entering code at check out. (The $10 off coupon was what pushed me over the edge to place my order)
    • Missing item (Powerlock connectors)
    • Missing component (end cap for one shifter)

I'm kind of impressed with how many things went wrong here. After all the great experiences with large and small US stores, as well as bike-discount's excellent performance, I did not expect this.

We'll see what they come back with. Just figured I'd update everyone with my experience so far.

Edit: Called (via Skype, but still cost some money) and spoke with someone who told me to take photos and send an e-mail with details. Seems like my e-mail above included every detail and photo she was recommending, and she said someone would look into the e-mail and get back to me shortly, but that the people who handle issues like this weren't in the office at this time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Dude, just my opinion, but I think you're overreacting.

No $10 off applied? That justifies correction. But if they really didn't apply it, wouldn't it have been missing on the original cart checkout? On the original email confirmation/receipt? Keep in mind I've had some of the paper receipts on these international orders be inconsistent with the email and actual credit card transactions -- you might want to check those. Either way, its easy for CRC to check and correct.

Missing link . . . again a legit complaint, but it won't stop you from building your bike. I'm sure CRC will credit you.

No cable crimp for one shifter? Typical OEM shifter packaging is cables=yes and housing=no, and cable crimps = who cares? We're talking about a cable crimp. Lots of bike shops will just give you one if you ask nicely, or charge you $.10 worst case.

Rotors MIGHT be bent? Instead of complaining about theoreticals, why don't you just mount them up and SEE if they are bent? I'd be shocked if they were; the Shimano alloy spider rotors are pretty robust, and VERY hard to bend if they aren't bolted to something (no leverage).

As for pink bag and clear bag, one rotor in Shimano box, one not . . . this is all typical OEM packaging that is very common when you're buying components at bottom dollar.
    Get used to it. Or pay more for pretty boxes.

You're entitled to feel however you feel about the box you received. But your persistent 500 word posts about every n'th detail of your transactions are of diminishing benefit to the community in this forum. I come here for info on good deals, not daily reports on order delivery status.

With all due respect: get your $15 credit for the code and link, and get your bike built. You lived through your first international ordering experience so there will be fewer surprises next time, consider it a success.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I don't know if you can remove the cover on Shimano shifters like you can with some SRAM but if you can check for dirt. That is the only way I know how to tell for sure if you received a used shifter.

Did customs open the box? That can explain the missing link although I have had bad experiences with CRC shipping in the past.

I also doubt your rotors are bent. I wouldn't have brought that up until you verified. It makes your argument look weak.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    your persistent 500 word posts about every n'th detail of your transactions are of diminishing benefit to the community in this forum. I come here for info on good deals, not daily reports on order delivery status.

With all due respect: get your $15 credit for the code and link, and get your bike built. You lived through your first international ordering experience so there will be fewer surprises next time, consider it a success.
    InertiaMan, the reason I'm posting about everything in as much detail as I am is because I think this information will be helpful for people in the community. I went digging for photos and information, and all I could find is a small number of short posts about some things from CRC showing up in retail packaging and others showing up in OEM packaging. I wanted to find this level of detail about international store experiences before ordering, and wasn't able to find it.

In your words, I wanted "fewer surprises", and I'm hoping this detail allows other people fewer surprises.

My first international ordering experiences were bike-discount and CRC, and they were night-and-day. If you think I should have expected OEM packaging, look at how nice the order from bike-discount looked. Had this kind of information been available online when I was planning my order, I would have taken my business to bike-discount.de and JensonUSA.

As for overreacting, I'm not calling CRC a scam or a fraud, nor am I telling people not to order from them. I'm trying to share the good, the bad and the ugly of my shopping experience. I do think it's relevant info when deciding where and how to spend your biking dollars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Did customs open the box? That can explain the missing link although I have had bad experiences with CRC shipping in the past.

I also doubt your rotors are bent. I wouldn't have brought that up until you verified. It makes your argument look weak.
    FireLikeIYA,

Customs has to mark if they've opened a package, don't they? When I lived in Japan, Japanese customs had special tape they used to reseal packages they had opened along with including a note inside stating it was opened on official business. Nothing like that on or in the box.

As for the rotor being bent, the large rotor was in a paper thin box on the bottom of a box that was absolutely mangled. There was no paper, bubble wrap or other padding to protect it. I'm glad to hear you think it's likely fine, and you are right, it would probably have been better to state that it was poorly protected than question whether or not it was bent before confirming.

As for the smaller items, as you can see in the photos, the top of the box is torn in one corner. I have no way of knowing if they fell out of the box or weren't included to begin with, but either seems feasible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    CRC typically sends numerous items oem. I have placed numerous orders and have received items in boxes and in bags and loose. The orders typically take two weeks and there has never been a tracking number. A rear XTR rear mech came rapped in packing tape once.
    They do take a while but are helpful. The box looks a little mangled but not crushed.
    Numerous times I have had the boxes opened in transit, some times its marked other times its not. I do wish CRC would stop using regular post, the chances for theft are far greater.
    I do like the effort you went to in your posts, thank you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I like crc but got to tell you, your boxes are a '10' out of 10 compared to how my 2 orders looked like. Both my boxes had at least 3" holes in them. Why nothing fell out was a small miracle. And then the packaging inside, all loose, no bubble wrap, yeah maybe all the peanuts fell out of the holes. Whenever we have a favorable exchange rate going with them its hard to ignore their prices.

mtbr member
    Peter, I'm sorry to hear about all your hassles. I have no complaints about your thread and the posts either. It's very involved, and other users may appreciate the detail. I do. And I can see myself doing the same experiment. The lesson I've gathered from your thread: These are some of the hassles you have to live with if you are determined to get the lowest possible price on every component out there. The price checking, price matching, and haggling compromises one makes to save every nickel comes with consequences. This may be worth it, and even fun for some members, but a dollar saved is not always a dollar earned when time, hassle, and stress are concerned.

Now I'm going to make a bit of a joke, so don't be offended: Think of all the time you've sunk into this, or lost because you're not riding the new stuff. In that time, you could have made double the $100 dollars you saved on purchases by selling water bottles on the side of the road. Maybe even triple if you have a heat wave in your area.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    FireLikeIYA,

Customs has to mark if they've opened a package, don't they? When I lived in Japan, Japanese customs had special tape they used to reseal packages they had opened along with including a note inside stating it was opened on official business. Nothing like that on or in the box.

As for the rotor being bent, the large rotor was in a paper thin box on the bottom of a box that was absolutely mangled. There was no paper, bubble wrap or other padding to protect it. I'm glad to hear you think it's likely fine, and you are right, it would probably have been better to state that it was poorly protected than question whether or not it was bent before confirming.

As for the smaller items, as you can see in the photos, the top of the box is torn in one corner. I have no way of knowing if they fell out of the box or weren't included to begin with, but either seems feasible.
    Well, hopefully everything is OK with the rotors. I've had to send a frame back to them a long time ago and it was a hassle. I paid for return shipping and they reimbursed me for it. When I received the replacement frame there was a charge for import duties. Luckily, the postal person did not see it and failed to collect the duties from me when they delivered it. Every time you receive a package from overseas you risk paying import tax and if they ship it via Fedex or DHL they will bill you and charge you a fee for doing so.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Every time you receive a package from overseas you risk paying import tax and if they ship it via Fedex or DHL they will bill you and charge you a fee for doing so.
    Always fun when you think you're in the clear and a bill shows up in the mail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Always fun when you think you're in the clear and a bill shows up in the mail.
    Uh-oh. How long does that take?
    (Reminds me of a horrible experience I had with my brother confusing "declared value" with "insured value" when sending me two used video games as a birthday present.)

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    I can see myself doing the same experiment.
    "Experiment". That's exactly what this was.

This may be worth it, and even fun for some members
    There is definitely an aspect of fun in the deal hunting.

Think of all the time you've sunk into this, or lost because you're not riding the new stuff.
    I do agree with you. My case was unique, as I was buying the bike as a reward as part of a bonus my company was paying when I hit a specific objective. I ordered all this stuff knowing I had the extra weeks to spare, as I wasn't buying the frame until I hit the objective.

Now I'm just waiting on a fork that I ordered from BikerBob. (I knew he didn't have it in stock when I ordered it. That wait's completely understandable, and hopefully he gets and ships it soon.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    I like crc but got to tell you, your boxes are a '10' out of 10 compared to how my 2 orders looked like.

mtbr member
    So, what should be the final update on this experiment: CRC does have good customer service and did get back to me quickly. They confirmed the OEM products are warrantied, if there are any issues. They also credited me the $10 for the coupon mentioned above, and gave me the option of a credit for the PowerLocks or sending a replacement, and a small credit towards the shifters or returning them. I opted for the credit for both, and ordered KMC Missing Links from Amazon because of the Prime option, so I can get them quickly and with a tracking number.

I have nothing but good things to say about bike-discount.de, but I am very hopeful I won't get a bill in the mail for import tarriffs.

As for CRC, I wish it was clear what was OEM and what wasn't, and I'm guessing my overall experience was abnormal. That said, I'll probably watch their sales the way I watch Pricepoint's sales, but would initially look elsewhere when looking for something in the future.

I'm happy to continue the conversation, but for people who are stumbling upon this weeks/months/years later, I hope the photos and details are helpful. Barring an unexpected issue with CRC's refund, a faulty product (from either order) or a bill showing up, I don't expect to post again with new information. From this point, consider no updates good news.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    Uh-oh. How long does that take?
    If you received the package from USPS they are suppose to collect before giving you the package IF it actually went through customs. If they fail to collect then you are in the clear. With DHL and Fedex, they will determine your import tax and pay it for you no matter what and then charge you a fee for doing so. You should receive an invoice in 2-3 weeks. Always select Royal Mail when making a purchase from the UK as it will be handed off to USPS when it arrives in the states.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I actually like this thread and how you show pictures and tell the good and bad. I am very much like you if I order something that is suppose to be new I want it to come with original box and everything like if I went to walmart to buy it.

I do not think you are overreacting at all. I think some people are more pickier than others and i know i am very picky when it comes to me spending my money..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast