Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dear chainlove

(not that fast)

dear chainlove

please sell something other than full face helmets and clothes. Why not some components? I understand sweatshirts are probably more profitable than mid-level shifters, but come on, I'm going to stop looking soon.
    Thanks,
    FA

TurnURComputerOff&GoRide
    LOL - that's also why I gave up on Chain Love.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rural
    ditto

mtbr member
    Check this one out, you can monitor six sites (Chainlove is one of them) at once:

http://www.gearscan.com/

Here's another one that has more than just clothing

http://www.mtbdeals.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    When that website was released I was ordering from them once or twice a week. I almost built up a whole bike.

I still check the site frequently but my last order with them was June 2008!!! What does that tell you.

I totally agree with you.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rural
    Same here

mtbr member
    The site has so much potential. If only they would offer a better variety.

I agree seeing the 661 full face helmets gets boring after a while.

mtbr member
    ...or that damn funky looking Loeka looong "dress" jersey in dark teal color. Every time it comes up (FAR too often), it reminds going shopping with grandma at Macy's for a velour bath robe.

Each time -without fail, I forget what site I am on! An actual pic would do my point even better service.

Tulsa
    ditto, i did buy a fox lid and six knee pads, but that was probably due to the blizzard and wishful thinking though
    wherever you go, there you are

Black Dragon
    Yeah, like everyone else here, when CL first showed up on the scene, I was watching them like a hawk because they had very good things for sale all the time. Now, it's just full face helmets, down hill bike shorts and funky looking women's clothing. CL sure went downhill all right. Yuk yuk yuk.

(not that fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon
    ...or that damn funky looking Loeka looong "dress" jersey in dark teal color. Every time it comes up (FAR too often), it reminds going shopping with grandma at Macy's for a velour bath robe.

Each time -without fail, I forget what site I am on! An actual pic would do my point even better service.
    are you talking about his beautiful piece:

seriously, that was in the RSS after I read your post

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fastale

I don't know what's worse: That they are selling that, or some company thought it was a good idea to actually design and produce it.

I see lots of failures in the production/distribution/marketing chain with that beauty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dragon
    Yeah, like everyone else here, when CL first showed up on the scene, I was watching them like a hawk because they had very good things for sale all the time. Now, it's just full face helmets, down hill bike shorts and funky looking women's clothing. CL sure went downhill all right. Yuk yuk yuk.
    You said it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My all-time best chainlove score back in the beginning of 2008. It was a mistake on their website that they honored.

Qty. 3
    Product Description
    Honey Stinger Bulk Gel - 12oz Tube - 12 Tubes per Box
    Each $3.25
    Total $9.75

36 12oz. Honey Stinger gel bottles for $9.75

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by helexia23
    My all-time best chainlove score back in the beginning of 2008. It was a mistake on their website that they honored.

Qty. 3
    Product Description
    Honey Stinger Bulk Gel - 12oz Tube - 12 Tubes per Box
    Each $3.25
    Total $9.75

36 12oz. Honey Stinger gel bottles for $9.75
    Real stand up company for honoring the mistake in price

mtbr member
    OMG!! You found the pic fastale! I gotta say, well, it speaks for itself.

Maybe I'll get one XXL and make it my premiere riding smock just for the Sierra Buttes this year.

mtbr member

I'm assuming you have the pic because you ordered one!!

Come on confess!!!!

(not that fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    I'm assuming you have the pic because you ordered one!!

Come on confess!!!!
    HA! it's true. only I don't wear it biking, just around the house.... with nothing underneath...

(I'm not so good with the smilies, is there one that vomits?)

Its got what plants crave
    I just bought two pairs of Fox Ranger shorts for 25 bucks each. They should be here tomorrow, we'll see if they're any good or not. I was really happy with my last two pairs of Oakley riding shorts I got there. I don't think I've ever actually bought any componentry from them.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Takin'er easy
    Maybe companies selling to Backcountry started to realize that when their product goes up on their ODAT sites the rest of their product line becomes instantly de-valued.

CP
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodyknee
    Check this one out, you can monitor six sites (Chainlove is one of them) at once:

http://www.gearscan.com/

Here's another one that has more than just clothing

http://www.mtbdeals.com/
    Another site for multi-1deal/day site monitoring:

http://www.cleansnipe.com/

mtbr member
    It seems like the same thing has kind of happened to all of backcountry's ODAT stores; it used to be that they'd have really good deals, stuff would sell out... kind of the point from a sales perspective: you don't have time to hesitate. Now the time limit almost always expires before anything is sold out, and the same item will be back in the coming days or week. The same fox shorts have been on chainlove more days than not for the last 2 weeks.

It seems like a rehashing of the lesson from the outlet mall - "there's a reason this stuff is on closeout."

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Not sure what the deal is with chainlove, I suddenly started getting tons of emails from them pushing their upcoming items. I swear I didn't sign up for messages from them. I was able to turn it off but irritating.

And yes, tons of shirts and just undesireable stuff.

I too am getting those stupid emails. In fact, I get TWO of them every time, not sure why. Pretty annoying, they'll soon be going to my spam box much like the Hucknroll ones have. Speaking of Hucknroll, it's cool that they have high end stuff, but their prices are too damn high.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I too am getting those stupid emails. In fact, I get TWO of them every time, not sure why. Pretty annoying, they'll soon be going to my spam box much like the Hucknroll ones have. Speaking of Hucknroll, it's cool that they have high end stuff, but their prices are too damn high.
    That's interesting. I signed up to be on the email list some time ago and never received a thing in my email inbox or junkmail box

mtbr member
    Sombrio Licious Bike Jersey - 3/4-Sleeve - Women's
    Charge-a-licious!

My apology for sayin' this was made by Loeka.

That said, Loeka has plenty of their own questionable garb plaguing Chainlove.

Product rotation & variation on CL and Bonktown is so incredibly small- NOTHING like when these ODATs premiered- embarrassingly so. I just assumed Backcountry would eventually start to dump the mostly over-priced gear from HucknRoll and Realcyclist. Oh well, set of tire levers for $4 plus shipping- scorching.

Hey, apologize for rehashing the image below; the commune "uniform" from this planet or some other. Most likely from the costume dept. for cheap sci-fi movies.
    There are far too many other examples of questionable gear, Cutter hand pumps that gets four star rating even though it doesn't completely work. Sure a nugget here or there amongst bike locks, bike locks, bike locks and the round of usual DH tops, cheap glasses, W's tops- oh! and Loeka. I consider this now to be a thread re the more overwhelming "Dollar Store" feel of these sites.

May it be humorous if anything at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by grandsalmon; 01-28-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: prob grabbing image

mtbr member
    well they had an easton EA70 stem and a Race Face Dues stem for $19.99 MSRP is in the neighborhood of $80 but now its at the hideous green dress thingy
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    I had just written a huge Hijo-esque history of Backcountry.com's venture into biking- and lost it! I will not repeat (many of you will say thanks!). Damn!

I would be the quintessential hypocrite if I said I don't get an occasional box from CL or Bonktown even now. There are those surprise nuggets that show up, or severely discounted exceptions. But it does appear desperate indeed. BC did $300 mil in '08, I think. They decided to put both feet into the water -with not just two new biking ODATs, but full time gear sites HunknRoll and RealCylist, I don't think they realized how deep the water was.

The fact is CL and BT are just mere shadows of their intro's. Too bad because a bike ODAT is still a great device, even if just selling old stock, closeouts, even the occasional costume dress.

Do any of you remember a rep from BC who came on here to solicit interest for Chainlove quite awhile back, promising discounts via answered PMs? Unfortunately he made his introduction, with offered favors, sound conditional if we were to be polite or productive (?) mtn bikers on MTBR, or somethin' like that. Some of us received back what were in actual BC Outlet reality measly % off codes, others didn't receive anything.

I know we have all got great deals, even now. I am not eliciting the exceptions to the OP's general "what's up Chainlove?".

mtbr member
    Honestly I dont order much off there but managed to pick up a 661 Evo helmet for $60 off their the other day so I'm happy. And i would have picked up some of those Fox Ranger shorts if they'd been in my size but they often dont have XXL shirts/shorts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    were you guys not around when they dumped a bunch of Rocky Mountain Slopestyle and Flatline bikes last month?

What about all those "custom" Titus bikes they sell? Fantastic deal on a frame + the-cheapest-components-you-could-possibly-use-to-make-a-complete bike.

mtbr member
    Very lame. I agree!

Saint brake levers (only)
    Lokea womens clothing
    Titus racer X 29"
    Non riding clothing. (hoodies and stuff). 661, Sombrio
    DH shorts and jerseys. Fox, Royal, 661, Sombrio, nema
    Hubbard Bike Club

I saw a set of Time ROC carbon pedals on there for a pretty damn good price. I considered it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowerman
    were you guys not around when they dumped a bunch of Rocky Mountain Slopestyle and Flatline bikes last month?

What about all those "custom" Titus bikes they sell? Fantastic deal on a frame + the-cheapest-components-you-could-possibly-use-to-make-a-complete bike.
    You mean the "racer" bikes that come with the entry level Tora fork?

Calling them "racer" bikes is a huge overstatement.

(not that fast)
    You mean the "racer" bikes that come with the entry level Tora fork?

Calling them "racer" bikes is a huge overstatement.
    I noticed they are calling them "custom" too. I guess they're custom because they are coming equipped different components than original spec?

mtbr member
    I noticed they are calling them "custom" too. I guess they're custom because they are coming equipped different components than original spec?
    here's a link:

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/out...tain-Bike.html

$2500 for a "custom" bike with a Tora 318. Why would anyone pay so much for such bike?

(not that fast)
    here's a link:

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/out...tain-Bike.html

$2500 for a "custom" bike with a Tora 318. Why would anyone pay so much for such bike?
    HA! the price cracked me up:

Quote Originally Posted by backcountryoutlet
    Sale Price: $2,449.97 – $2,449.99 (Save 30%)
    Why is it always the size you want is never the cheap price?

mtbr member
    I picked up a Commencal Meta 666 last spring for $1400 shipped to my house. Of course I have changed just about all the components but the frame without rear shock sold for $1199. This had a Lyrik solo air and RP2 shock as well as XT drivetrain. They sell alot of junk on there but every once in a while something good comes on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dear chainlove-scotts-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nothing better than people whining about getting huge discounts, fast and cheap shipping, and and great customer service.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    Nothing better than people whining about getting huge discounts, fast and cheap shipping, and and great customer service.
    We like chainlove/backcountry. We are complaining because we want them to offer a better variety on chainlove so we can order more from them. It's the "tough love" kind of complaining and not just hatin'.

A waste of time it is is
    Nothing cheap about their shipping particularly living on the other side of the planet. Was going to buy a heavily discount jersey, about $20, until I went to pay for it and saw the shipping was the best part of $50. I've had forks, bars and drivetrain components shipped here in under a week for cheaper than that

No problems for shipping with me. USPS gets it from CA to FL in 2 days for about what UPS ground would cost. So basically I get 2 day air shipping for about the price of UPS ground. I don't like shipping one item, so I usually buy a couple of things. I haven't used their feature where you can get multiple items for discounted shipping, but that's a cool feature. There is very little componentry on there anymore, but every once in a while stuff pops up.

mtbr member
    Ordered my first item from them today, Joplin Seatpost for a killer price. Do you guys know any other sites like Chainlove thats for roadbike equipment?
    Last edited by GEARHEAD_ENG; 02-16-2010 at 06:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GEARHEAD_ENG
    Ordered my first item from them today, Joplin Seatpost for $134. Do you guys know any other sites like Chainlove thats for roadbike equipment?
    They own the site bonktown.com which is the exact same thing for roadies.

mtbr member
    In the last 4 years I have purchased around 200 items from steepandcheap, bonktown, chainlove, brociety, and tramdock. Every site has it's lag in good deals, but overall I do not thing there is a better discount group out there. I ship everything economy shipping, and to Denver it shows up 2 days later. If there's ever something I don't like, they take it back no questions asked. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth people.

pants on head retarded
    I spose the point of the whole thread isn't complaints, just more of a "what's up?" There are still deals from time to time, and if I ever need another pair of bike shorts I am *golden*!

Hopefully it's just a winter downtime and we'll start seeing more than clothes pretty soon? I haven't had the website as a regular browser tab for a while, but when I last did I snagged a Blur XC with RP23 and a Reba for half price.

mtbr member
    In the last 4 years I have purchased around 200 items from steepandcheap, bonktown, chainlove, brociety, and tramdock. Every site has it's lag in good deals, but overall I do not thing there is a better discount group out there. I ship everything economy shipping, and to Denver it shows up 2 days later. If there's ever something I don't like, they take it back no questions asked. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth people.
    Read the subtlety in and of the thread -historical change since their inception, etc... including one polite response to a similar knee jerk you finish with. We have all shopped "BC", great customer service, yadda yadda

And it certainly ain't no gift horse, but a crazy-arse money making machine we have every right to look over and into.

Black Dragon
    Are we complaining? No way. It's okay to speak the truth..The truth is that they used to have A LOT of great deals on great parts, clothing etc, that most of us were actually interested in. Sure, they still some good items on there occasionally at a fair price. But by far, their offerings now are stale and somewhat unsellable. I still like them a lot and just hope they get back to where they used to be in inventory. Probably like many of us here, I posted in hopes that they read this thread and take note of what appears to be what the majority of us are observing.

mtbr member
    I think chainlove finally got around to reading this thread.....kinda...since they've been posting the joplin for $139 everyday for the past three day.

mtbr member
    If the items aren't selling, I'm sure they've noticed, seeing as they're running a business. I'm sure they track all the traffic and sales. In the end they're in the business of selling as much as possible, and wil make changes accordingly.

If they're listening, I wish they'd just trash those stupid womens Loeka shorts, I'm so tired of seeing them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast