Laker and a Trail Blazer

Deals on xt brakes

I've been looking for a set of brakes. Have you seen any with a great price?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Deals on xt brakes

$95 for SLX, $120 for XT, $200-$220 for XTR.

http://m.steepandcheap.com/steepcheap/gear-cache/1979

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    For XT with the finned pads and no rotors, the best I've ever seen is $95 and you can find them for $129 many places, so that's your range.

Best current source I know of is wiggle.com (UK supplier). Using the 12-EXTRA code you can get XT brakes for ~$98 each. But you will need to add another minor item to your cart to reach the $237 minimum spend for that code (pre-discount pair of brakes only gets you to $224).

Free shipping to the US with that spend level, and typically VERY fast. I got my last order from Wiggle in 4 days.

BTW, don't skimp on the rotors. In my opinion, the ice-tech rotors are worth every penny because they dissipate heat so well. Not a marketing gimmick from my perspective . . .

Laker and a Trail Blazer

Deals on xt brakes

Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    For XT with the finned pads and no rotors, the best I've ever seen is $95 and you can find them for $129 many places, so that's your range.

Best current source I know of is wiggle.com (UK supplier). Using the 12-EXTRA code you can get XT brakes for ~$98 each. But you will need to add another minor item to your cart to reach the $237 minimum spend for that code (pre-discount pair of brakes only gets you to $224).

Free shipping to the US with that spend level, and typically VERY fast. I got my last order from Wiggle in 4 days.

BTW, don't skimp on the rotors. In my opinion, the ice-tech rotors are worth every penny because they dissipate heat so well. Not a marketing gimmick from my perspective . . .
    I want to order two sets and 3 icetech rotors, adapters. I ride with front brake on the left and rear on the right, they don't have this set up in stock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Assuming you can live with black rather than silver, its still a viable option. You'll almost certainly be cutting the hoses, so just swap the levers when you do the cutting. Using the no-bleed method of shortening these XT hoses it adds no complications or risks to swap the lever/caliper combos.

Depending on your rotor size preference and your mailing address, Bluesky might be an option. They have the finned XT brakes for $119 with adapters, the unfinned XT's for $89 (front silver only) and they have the new RT67 rotors pretty cheap (if you're running CL mounts).

Laker and a Trail Blazer

Deals on xt brakes

Went through wiggle and got xt front and rear brakes and 160mm rotor and 180mm rotor for $274 to the door! Thx

Hisforever
    did the same but the price went up slightly. $300 to my door.... super quick shipping

box was barely still together tho....got lucky all was there
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    I just ordered these (F&R without rotors) from wiggle with no discount code (expired) and it came to 223.00 delivered

Hisforever
    hopefully you get the right ones. mine came effin moto style,
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Shaheeb,

They came moto style because that this the preferred style in the UK, so that's what retailers stock.

But don't sweat it -- unless you're on a HUGE bike, the hoses will be way too long, and you'll need to trim them anyway. When you trim them, just reconnect to the opposite levers. Voila.

Hisforever
    dont you need new 'olives' or can they be reused after the lines are cut? just pull the old olives out and insert them to the fresh cut lines?

still have to rebleed the brakes. i hate bleeding brakes. had the worst time trying to bleed formulas....
    Jesus Saves

Warrior's Society
    Yes you need a new olive.

You may not even have to bleed the brakes when just shortening the hose.

New Shimano brakes are easy to bleed. Just make sure you get the bleed cup.....I bled tem without the cup and it is doable, but messy.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Did the brakes come in a retail box? Or OEM bag?

All the boxed XT brakes include an olive and barb insert for use with the shortened lines. And the yellow blocks to clamp the hose for cutting and inserting the barb.

Like mtnbikej said, many people have been able to shorten these without bleeds. I've done 6 brakes so far and haven't needed to bleed. Do some searches -- there's a bunch of discussion on that process.

Hisforever
    thanks so much guys, feel better about it now. wont be sending these home to the euros after all!

cheers
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    received the brakes yesterday - 5 days from order to delivered, NICE.
    Yes, they came in the retail box - I didn't notice if there were extra olives and barbs...
    Shortening the hoses on these is a pretty simple affair and I haven't had to bleed on my previous installs.
    Great price, great service!

Hisforever
    Found one set of barbs for two brakes so I used a formula barb/olive for one and the provided shimano for the other, pretty easy for sure.

One brake feels slightly different than the other. ( little mushier)

good deal for sure!
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Nashbar price is the same as wiggle right now. Use pricematch at Jenson to get free shipping. Backcountry will pricematch with free two day shipping as well but they have resin pads.