mtbr member
    May 2006

Deals on steel frames?

Looking for a smaller size steel hardtail frame for my gf. Any deals out there?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The DirtResearch steel frames on ebay right now are the best deals but they are neither suspension corrected for anything more than a 2.5" travel fork, nor do they have disc mounts. But if you're just planning to use rim brakes, want a nice columbus steel frame, and have say an 80mm fork to use, they should still ride just fine (as the difference in length of a 2.5" and 3.1" travel fork is relatively minor).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member

Wanga and Bizango...

finished a VooDoo bizango (14") this winter with GF. bought from an ebay store- milewidesports. nice 853 columbus butted steel, disc ready, with removable rim brake bosses. finished haggling at $299. real nice ride, responsive w 100 mm fork.
    there seems to be 2 "stores" selling Voodoo, but try MWS first- out of flagstaff.
    Both stores SHOULD be amendable to the $299 final price. The Wanga sits at $299 already; get for less?

yes, there are others out there too: DR, DMR, and other steelies for sure.

price range?

SBK
    HMFIC
    Somebody on the 29er board posted a smokin' deal on the OnOne Inbred frame at Unreal Cycles. I've not done business with them so I can't speak for their service, but it's a great deal. Looks like they're available in both big-wheel and 26" sizes, all the way down to the 14" frame (in a 26). Worth checking out, especially if you take the big package with rigid fork and can put the parts to use in her build or somewhere else:

Unreal On One Deal
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The On One frame looks like a smokin deal. She wants a 1X9. Can't tell if the inbred frame has a derailluer hanger. Anybody know the spec?

SBK
    HMFIC
    In the photos it's got a derailleur hanger, cable routing for both derailleurs and slot dropouts. It's got their tricky between-seatstay-and-chainstay rear disc mount setup. Should be able to run 3x9, 1x9, single, etc. Looks like it would make a great setup for your girl, I wish my wife would ride a hardtail, I'd build one for her in a heartbeat.

Here's the blown-up version of the photo, linked from the Unreal site:

Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the info, looks like we'll be putting in an order for that inbred on Tues.