Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

deals on SLX or XT brakes

Looking for SLX M675 or XT M785 front and rear disc brakes.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Just bought the SLX earlier from BSky, 180 front 160 rear w/ adapters for 203 shipped.

$12.25 for shipping and $1.25ish for "insurance"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Can anyone confirm that the SLX 675's are identical to the 785 XT's? The only thing that looks different is the logo on the levers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    They are basically the same other than the slx doesn't have free stroke control, it has stamped levers instead of cast, and the slx weighs a little more.

mtbr member
    Any difference between the M666 and M675? Blue Sky has both listed and pictured with the finned 'Ice Tech', so I can't find any difference between the two.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    They are basically the same other than the slx doesn't have free stroke control, it has stamped levers instead of cast, and the slx weighs a little more.
    What is "free stroke control" supposed to do?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It changes how quickly the pads engage with the lever pull so you can make the levers really sensitive or not.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    From a quick search, it's been reported that the free stroke control feature on the XT model doesn't even work so I guess that essentially makes them the same? I don't notice a difference on mine.

Special Purpose
    Oct 2009
    I've ridden with both the XT and SLX and can't say I noticed any difference. Both brakes offered fantastic power and modulation. I prefer the SLX personally because I think the chromed plastic of the reservoir covers on the XT are horribly tacky.

I got mine from Blue Sky and will soon be ordering another set to replace the Avid Elixer 7's on my Stumpy. The Shimano brakes are better in every way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    M666 is not very different than m675, short answer is a few more compatibility thingees and OEM changes (rotors and pads are now ice tech). Shimano SLX 2013 Unveiled - BikeRadar

The best deal going right now is to have Jenson price match Nashbar's deal on XT brakes: Shimano Deore XT BR-M785 Disc Brake - Bike Brakes

Reason being: For $89.99 x 2 (SLX from bluesky) plus shipping and insurance, you're at $15 less than Jenson, who offers free shipping. Plus, you have XT instead of SLX, plus the XT's are retail packaged with Metal and resin pads, unlike the SLX which come with resin only (and are supposedly OEM from BS). The OEM XT version from jenson and BS appear to have metal pads, but no fins (I asked both, best answer was "looks like maybe"). Metal finned pads come in at around $40.

PLUS you don't have to deal with bluesky.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Only thing with Jenson price match is Nashbar is backordered on the rear brake set. Usually most retailers will not price match an item that is not instock. Other wise that would be a great deal.

I ended up with a set of the 2013 SLX slightly used for a price I cannot pass up.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ha, good point. I must have gotten in under the wire.

I haven't seen a single set of these used. Except for halo-tier XTR.

mtbr member
    I got Tree Fort to price match Blue Sky, and they had free shipping. They had the SLX 675 finned metal Ice Tech version. Blue sky has both finned and unfinned version, some come with resin pads. After reading around, everyone says the SLX is pretty much identical other than some novelty adjuster on the XT that doesn't do anything and a very small weight penalty. For the finned version of the SLX, it seems like a better choice than equally priced XT without!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    I got Tree Fort to price match Blue Sky, and they had free shipping. They had the SLX 675 finned metal Ice Tech version. Blue sky has both finned and unfinned version, some come with resin pads. After reading around, everyone says the SLX is pretty much identical other than some novelty adjuster on the XT that doesn't do anything and a very small weight penalty. For the finned version of the SLX, it seems like a better choice than equally priced XT without!
    Just tried to get tree fort to price match blue sky and their little pricer matcher thing said we can't go that low. Bummer. I wonder how you got it through.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by woodi2259 View Post
    Just tried to get tree fort to price match blue sky and their little pricer matcher thing said we can't go that low. Bummer. I wonder how you got it through.
    Did you check m666 or m675? That might be the difference. Some people just stop price matching when the deals get too crazy (universal cycles).

The difference between XT and slx are indeed minor, and the bite point engagement control definitely didn't do much, if anything, on my saint 810s. However, $15 still gets you metal finned pads (better for DH) as well as a backup pair of resin pads, if the metals are too grabby. You're looking at a $60 value in pads alone, regardless of the "upgrade". I bought other stuff from jenson as well, which makes it an ever better deal for me. If bluesky has other things you want, that'll help diffuse the shipping cost. Their customer service let me down in the past when I had a return, so I'd rather not use them if at all possible.

mtbr member
    Give Tree Fort a few days, and try again. I successfully got a number of items matched in my order, but after the brakes they wouldn't match a headset from Blue Sky. They also lowered their online price for everyone on something else I pricematched, so keep an eye out to see if they do that. I think there must be an internal thing that only lets them match a certain amount from a retailer, but I imagine it resets at some point too.

I saved a ton thanks to Tree Fort, and I got half my odds and ends for my new build from one place! Thanks guys! I would have loved to order more, but you guys just plain didn't carry the other stuff I needed I got everything I could from them, can't wait for my big 'ol box to arrive

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I love hearing positive feedback from places. I haven't considered treefort in the past but I'll give them a look next time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Got the new brakes installed this afternoon. Front cable was alittle shorter and the rear was alittle longer than my stock brakes but they still worked just fine. From the small test at my house they are alot stornger than my Elixer 5's. I will later get ice tech rotors and finned pads but for now I am satisfied. Cant wait to try them on the trail tomorrow
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

ako
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Chain reaction cycles has XT M765 fronts for $52.16.

Shimano XT Disc Brakes M765 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I know these are an older model, and CRC are in the UK but someone might be interested

mtbr member
    That's a helluva deal!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    Chain reaction cycles has XT M765 fronts for $52.16.

Shimano XT Disc Brakes M765 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I know these are an older model, and CRC are in the UK but someone might be interested
    Eh, those are like two generations old. I think i'd rather go for the deore's for $7 more.

EDR
    Keep in mind OE parts may not carry a warranty with Shimano directly. You may be forced to deal with the seller which can be a problem in month 10.

mtbr member
    I have both 666 and 675's and the only differences I see are the fonts on the levers and the color of calipers. On the 675's, the SLX font is larger and the caliper is black. On the 666, the caliper is dark grey. MY 675's came from BlueSky and OEM. I believe the 666's came from ebay. Both sets are great and a lot better than the Elixir 5's I had before.
    Last edited by eclipse24; 01-09-2013 at 03:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Used the SLX 675 today on the trail. Wow what a difference! I am still using non finned resin pads that came on the brakes and avid rotors that were on my bike.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast