Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    See this thread. Price is up to $94.99 now instead of the $90. Price match is with Chain Reaction Cycles.

XT M785 brake (single) at Chain Reaction, $90

mtbr member
    Bob'sBikes just quoted me $100 for the XT brakes only. A little more but might be an option if one is worried about ordering from overseas. Not sure if he price matches or would come down some...might be worth asking. Or try to price match at Jenson or Art's or any other place that does price matching. I have a price match request in to Jenson to match CRC price of $94.99 per brake.

mtbr member
    JensonUSA just matched the $95 price for the XT brakes only. Free shipping since it's over $50.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    JensonUSA just matched the $95 price for the XT brakes only. Free shipping since it's over $50.
    If you're looking for both front and back and want to see if Jenson will price match it (or are buying enough to justify the shipping), bike-discount.com (bike-discount.de) sells the set for $174.43:

XT Disc Brake BR-M785-B Set black | Brake

That'd be $87.22 a brake, which is an amazing deal, but you pay for shipping at bike-discount. (I've never tried to price match a non-US store at Jenson, but if they matched CRC, it's worth a shot.)

mtbr member
    Well, here's what I just ran into. Jenson doesn't sell the brakes as a F/R set. You have to buy them seperate. I asked for a price match from the front brake website link. In the notes, I added that I wanted to also purchase the rear brake and that CRC was selling both front and rear for $95. I got the promo code and when I placed everything in the cart and added the code, it only discounted the front brake. So...I did another price match on the rear brake. Assuming I get another code, I'll add that as well and see if it takes two codes in one order. I may have to order via phone/email or place two separate orders, one for the front and one for the rear. Not a big deal as both will ship free, just a little bit of a hassle if it has to be done that way. I'll see what happens tomorrow. I may also try to price match using the link to the brake set as well and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Boy the things so many of us go through just to save $5 on a brake. Meanwhile we ride crappy brakes for for a month or two because we can't stand the thought of paying $1 more than somebody else did for the same item. It's a sickness. I'm guilty, but trying to get well.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Living the Dream
    Quote of the year. Reminds me of when my Grandpa used to chide his friends for driving across town to save a penny per gallon on gas. p
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Boy the things so many of us go through just to save $5 on a brake. Meanwhile we ride crappy brakes for for a month or two because we can't stand the thought of paying $1 more than somebody else did for the same item. It's a sickness. I'm guilty, but trying to get well.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    It's true. But with brakes, you gotta buy two, so the savings is actually $10. That's enough money saved to buy 3 gallons of gas and that will take me to the trails and back home. Worth the savings to me

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    It's true. But with brakes, you gotta buy two, so the savings is actually $10. That's enough money saved to buy 3 gallons of gas and that will take me to the trails and back home. Worth the savings to me
    pfft the savings is $95 compared to $120 from jenson, that's $50 on your brakes, or half a trip to the kingdom trails from Boston. Not a bad thing to spend 15 minutes on, in my book.

Jenson will send you a second code, and you can throw a bunch of codes on the same order. I've had a couple of orders with three different codes. Jenson is one of the best places to buy from, in my experience. Just picked up to price-matched knards and saved $30 plus free shipping...

mtbr member
    I guess the $5 savings per brake would come from the difference in Jenson's price match and Bob'sBikes. His price on the same brakes is $100 per.

That's good to know about Jenson. That makes it nice and easy. I just need to research a little to see how much of an upgrade the XT brakes are over the Avid Elixir 9's that will be on my new bike. See if it's enough to justify the cost. I figure I can sell the Avids and make back some of the cost of the XT's at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    pfft the savings is $95 compared to $120 from jenson, that's $50 on your brakes, or half a trip to the kingdom trails from Boston. Not a bad thing to spend 15 minutes on, in my book.

Jenson will send you a second code, and you can throw a bunch of codes on the same order. I've had a couple of orders with three different codes. Jenson is one of the best places to buy from, in my experience. Just picked up to price-matched knards and saved $30 plus free shipping...
    I'm talking about all the other online stores, both foreign and domestic, that dudes check constantly, then price check against each other, then post up here about how one is two dollars cheaper than the other one, then a month later the same dude is back on saying this store had the brake for $2 cheaper so he pulled the trigger. That's hours on the internet and a months worth of bad braking. I'm not pointing fingers at any one person. I've done the same thing. I just see it happening time and again. It's funny.

mtbr member
    I'm talking about all the other online stores, both foreign and domestic, that dudes check constantly, then price check against each other, then post up here about how one is two dollars cheaper than the other one, then a month later the same dude is back on saying this store had the brake for $2 cheaper so he pulled the trigger. That's hours on the internet and a months worth of bad braking. I'm not pointing fingers at any one person. I've done the same thing. I just see it happening time and again. It's funny.
    I am super guilty of that. But here's the thing...I'm still riding with mechanical brakes on my 26" bike. Years after I was thinking about pulling the trigger on nicer brakes. I didn't save $2 waiting to buy the brakes, I saved a lot more never buying them. Now I'm in the middle of purchasing parts to build up a FS bike, and this purchase would be less likely if the brake purchase had happened.

I think a lot of us would like to have more disposable income for bikes than we do, and shopping for purchases that we can't quite justify is enjoyable for many of us.

To see an item that I'm seriously considering purchasing go on sale at a price that I know I haven't ever seen cheaper...I can justify finally pulling the trigger on a purchase I don't necessarily need.

At the very least that logic helps keep me from buying too many toys too quickly.

mtbr member
    XT M785 single $85 at Chain Reaction using promo code SALE10

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    XT M785 single $85 at Chain Reaction using promo code SALE10
    That's a great deal!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    That's a great deal!
    Pull the trigger peteer, quick. You'll never save that $5 again!

mtbr member
    Pull the trigger peteer, quick. You'll never save that $5 again!
    Go ahead and laugh, but even though I already pulled the trigger on my XT build, I updated the first post describing what/where I bought with the coupon info. Someone out there might actually end up getting a better deal than me! (Maybe. I haven't run the numbers.)

mtbr member
    Good prices. I ended up just going with JensonUSA for my new brakes. I sold my Avid Elixir 7's for a decent price so I'm happy. Now I need to decide if I want the XT's on my SS or my new Cannondale. Which ever bike gets the XT's, the other gets the Hopes. I do need to order some new rotors for the XT's though. Might give CRC a whirl. Never ordered from them but I did get my Hope brakes from Merlin which is in the UK with no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    Go ahead and laugh, but even though I already pulled the trigger on my XT build, I updated the first post describing what/where I bought with the coupon info. Someone out there might actually end up getting a better deal than me! (Maybe. I haven't run the numbers.)
    Hey, looks like you got a bunch of good new stuff. Sounds like you and your bike a happy.

mtbr member
    I couldn't help myself. I ended up getting the xt brakes at crc for $170. Not bad at all considering most other places are offering them for $228. I just hope the performance over the stock elixir 5's will be noticeable.

Living the Dream
    They will be and they are so much easier to bleed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    I couldn't help myself. I ended up getting the xt brakes at crc for $170. Not bad at all considering most other places are offering them for $228. I just hope the performance over the stock elixir 5's will be noticeable.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I probably could have gotten them cheaper from a foreign website, but I just ordered a pair of xt's with finned pads shipped for $210 from bikerbob.com. The customer service was worth the extra money and I feel like I'm helping a fellow cyclist out, not some large corporation.

mtbr member
    I just got my first order from him. Good stuff. Upgraded my shifters and rear der. to X9. Good prices and fast shipping. I did go with Jenson for my brakes though. Saved me $20 over BikerBob. Not a load of money but $20 is $20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    new best deal! ribblecycles has xt brakes for $158 plus 10% coupon bringing price down to 142.2 with free shipping to usa. BUT no fin pads and likely moto style rigging.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yep, the ribble 10% code is back. "TDF10" ends Tuesday the 15th (at 4pm pacific time).

Nice that they got some more brakes in stock. They had a 13% code two weeks ago, but no brakes. The SLX brake set (also no fins) is now $110 shipped.

You can buy an entire SLX group piece-by-piece for $346 shipped (front & rear der, chain, cassette, shifters, cranks & brakes) in either 2X or 3X. Depending on your needs, you might need to pick up a couple things elsewhere (they only have conventional seat-tube mount front ders, no ice tech rotors, only 175mm cranks, etc) but they have all cassette sizes, long and med cage ders, and all 2X/3X options in stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Yep, the ribble 10% code is back. "TDF10" ends Tuesday the 15th (at 4pm pacific time).

Nice that they got some more brakes in stock. They had a 13% code two weeks ago, but no brakes. The SLX brake set (also no fins) is now $110 shipped.
    how are you getting $110 shipped? i am getting $146.68 - $14.67 (TDF10) = $132.01

is there another discount or code that i am missing?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast