Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The trail XTs are not available in the US. The longer levers are on Wiggle. The assemblies for a little more on Bikecomponent.de

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The "T" version of the XT brakes (BR-T785 versus BR-M785) is a reference to trekking and touring, not trail. That market segment apparently prefers longer levers. Personally I'd rather have the short ones; they are easier to get a finger onto them, and there is PLENTY of power with one finger.

To those further up the thread who were asking about the benefits of the ice-tech rotors, my opinion is YES they are hugely beneficial. I think these rotors are doing more to dissipate heat than the finned pads. I wouldn't be surprised if older Shimano brakes such as M975 used with ice-tech rotors might outperform the new brakes like M985 used with older all-steel rotors.

One major benefit I've noticed with my ice-tech XT system is the brake pad life is MUCH longer than any other brake system I've used, presumably because the pad isn't getting hot enough to deteriorate rapidly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

deals on SLX or XT brakes

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInYpsi View Post
    My complete order has shipped. Appears they really are in stock.
    Got my loot from Wiggle today. Super fast shipping considering it came from across the pond, and the price is amazing. Tried to get my LBS to price match but they passed (first time that's ever happened for me).

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Any thoughts on the current best deal or price match opportunities? Blue sky only has fronts at the moment in SLX for $80 without adapter, with resin pads and I assume OEM. Backcountry.com has them for $104 but its unclear which pads they come with and if they are even icetech. They haven't gotten back to me on the question. Nobody else seems to come close except CRC but they have stock issues too.

Since I'm shopping for a dh bike Bluesky also has the Zee for $130. Might be the best deal but more expensive overall. I assume these are oem too. Guess I need to check hose lengths.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    confirmed that backcountry is unfinned resin pads

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by HVskier View Post
    Any thoughts on the current best deal or price match opportunities? Blue sky only has fronts at the moment in SLX for $80 without adapter, with resin pads and I assume OEM. Backcountry.com has them for $104 but its unclear which pads they come with and if they are even icetech. They haven't gotten back to me on the question. Nobody else seems to come close except CRC but they have stock issues too.

Since I'm shopping for a dh bike Bluesky also has the Zee for $130. Might be the best deal but more expensive overall. I assume these are oem too. Guess I need to check hose lengths.
    The Zee's from Bluesky are definitely OE so be sure to measure your hose lengths. I'm running mine on a large Intense Slopestyle and the rears were perfect without having to trim lines. The front were a touch shorter than I would prefer but still workable. I'm running a Fox 36 Vanilla with 746mm lo-rise bars with no spacers under the stem so If you have a longer travel fork, wider bars. longish head tube, taller stack-height or any combo of the above then you may run into hose length issues.

The Zee's however KICK-ASS!!! Especially for the price!

Is dang happy!
    Ordered a set of SLX from Starbike, $175.

The SLX M-965 I got last year are weaksauce and no amount of bleeding, pad or rotor swaps fixed them. (BB7's were more powerful)

I hope the new models are all the're cracked up to be.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

davidcarson48
    Anyone have any experience with the new Deore brakes? Are they a rebadged SLX? They are stupid cheap if they work as well as SLX/XT.

Shimano Deore M615 Disc Brakes - Front & Rear Set | Shimano Disc Brakes | Merlin Cycles

mtbr member
    I bought a pair of Deore M615 for my daughter's bike. I tried them once I installed them. I've been using the newer XT's on one of my bikes and also the latest SLX's on my other bike, as well as on my wife's bike. Performance wise, they are all fantastic. The feel is relatively the same, lever is great. The reach adjustment needs an allen key, no big deal. They may not look as "snazzy" but they certainly perform as well. I would recommend them 100%.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    The SLX M-965 I got last year are weaksauce and no amount of bleeding, pad or rotor swaps fixed them. (BB7's were more powerful)
    I could be wrong but I don't think you could have had SLX M965 brakes as they don't seem to exist, they would have either been SLX M665 or XTR M965. I haven't had a set myself, but the M665's seem to get pretty good reviews on this site.

Regarding Deore brakes, again I don't have a set but the previous generation M596 got good reviews. My concern with the new M615's would be finding replacement pads, especially if one prefers sintered metal pads.

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't think you could have had SLX M965 brakes as they don't seem to exist, they would have either been SLX M665 or XTR M965. I haven't had a set myself, but the M665's seem to get pretty good reviews on this site.
    Yep, they were the BR M665. The distributor for the LBS sent the 2011 instead of 2012 BR-666 I had ordered, they showed up two days before a trip to Moab so I gave them a shot. Too much modulation and not enough power for me compared to BB-7's... My retired juicy-5's worked better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    My concern with the new M615's would be finding replacement pads, especially if one prefers sintered metal pads.
    I thought the M615 accept the same pads as all the new gen versions (XTR, XT, SLX) so you'd have the same choices. They just ship with the cheapest pad (which, if I'm not mistaken, is also the lightest one, which also ships on the XTR Race M985).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    I thought the M615 accept the same pads as all the new gen versions (XTR, XT, SLX) so you'd have the same choices.
    That's news to me, there seems to be a dearth of information regarding the M615 pad compatibility. I know the previous generation Deores (M596) use a different sized pad than the M666's and M785's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Agreed, there's no definitive documents on the Shimano site yet. But product listings at German sites state the pads are G01S, which is also in the M666, and is the steel version of the G01A that ships on some M785 and all M985.

For years the low end Shimano disc brakes have had different pad sizes than the mainstream high-end, but it looks like Shimano has finally consolidated on one design, which is nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Yep, they were the BR M665. The distributor for the LBS sent the 2011 instead of 2012 BR-666 I had ordered, they showed up two days before a trip to Moab so I gave them a shot. Too much modulation and not enough power for me compared to BB-7's... My retired juicy-5's worked better.
    I can bet they were with organic pads. I run two sets of the SLX 665 (203/180) for a few years now with metal sintered pads on both and both perform exceptionally well. Lots of bite, excellent modulation (even though it's less than with the organic pads) and powerful. Plus I was no lightweight when I started using them.

ijd
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I can bet they were with organic pads. I run two sets of the SLX 665 (203/180) for a few years now with metal sintered pads on both and both perform exceptionally well. Lots of bite, excellent modulation (even though it's less than with the organic pads) and powerful. Plus I was no lightweight when I started using them.
    A 203's would help but 180's were more than adequate with BB7s, (this is a XC/AM bike with a 180lb rider).
    The metal pads I tried this week were maybe 20% better but still not powerful as I would like. The new SLX brakes from Starbike were set up US style FYI.

mtbr member
    Looking for a deal on XT Brakes & Icetech rotors, anyone know of any?

mtbr member
    Ended up finding the best deal at Wiggle, XT M785 brakes, Ice tech rotors 180fr/160rr, post mount, free shipping, no tax, and an $8 discount for being a new customer, total cost $313.47.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ijd View Post
    Pretty sweet deal. congrats

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    Ended up finding the best deal at Wiggle, XT M785 brakes, Ice tech rotors 180fr/160rr, post mount, free shipping, no tax, and an $8 discount for being a new customer, total cost $313.47.
    Do these include brake lines as well? How long did the delivery take?

mtbr member
    Just got a set of XT's off of Wiggle as well. Didn't get the $8 discount though...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Looking for some SLX's, I see BlueSky has the non-Ice Tech for $60 but have front only. Looking for both front and rear... I've been searching google, just too many retailers to sort through.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Don't think you'll find a better deal than $60. Note that they only have fronts at that price, it's much harder to find deals for the rear brake.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast