Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    ako
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    Eh, those are like two generations old. I think i'd rather go for the deore's for $7 more.
    For those of us living outside of US, we don't always have the luxury of choice.

CRC ships internationally for reasonable prices. Nearly everything I buy in the States, I need to freight to my virtual US address, then pay $10 per pound to reach me. It adds up quickly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    For those of us living outside of US, we don't always have the luxury of choice.

CRC ships internationally for reasonable prices. Nearly everything I buy in the States, I need to freight to my virtual US address, then pay $10 per pound to reach me. It adds up quickly.
    Shimano Deore M596 Disc Brake | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

SLR
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Used the SLX 675 today on the trail. Wow what a difference! I am still using non finned resin pads that came on the brakes and avid rotors that were on my bike.
    Sounds like you're a happy camper

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 309 View Post
    I've ridden with both the XT and SLX and can't say I noticed any difference. Both brakes offered fantastic power and modulation. I prefer the SLX personally because I think the chromed plastic of the reservoir covers on the XT are horribly tacky.

I got mine from Blue Sky and will soon be ordering another set to replace the Avid Elixer 7's on my Stumpy. The Shimano brakes are better in every way.
    I agree 100% on the aesthetics of Shimano brakes. While all three levels get rave reviews from a performance stand point (which is priority #1), XT and XTR look extremely tacky with the chrome pieces ... imo SLX is the only level having a decent appearance.

I'm in the middle of a build now and will be going with Shimano brakes due to their excellent performance. Just wish they would pull their heads out of their @$$ from a styling standpoint! Function always comes before form, but if nothing else just give them a basic black styling ... at least that blends in with most bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Only thing with Jenson price match is Nashbar is backordered on the rear brake set. Usually most retailers will not price match an item that is not instock. Other wise that would be a great deal.

I ended up with a set of the 2013 SLX slightly used for a price I cannot pass up.
    Price match with Nashbar still works, even though the front brake is on backorder at Nashbar. Just ordered one from Jensen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    For what it's worth, either everyone in the world is ordering XT brakes, or there's something else going on - Jensen is now backordered on brakes, too, but will still do a pricematch. Expected ship date - early February.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think it's the former. I'm guessing shimano is backordered and every shop is still accepting orders. I got my order in early but I have no idea when to expect my brakes..

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

My XT 785 brakes shipped from Jenson.....

My backordered price-match (nashbar $104.98) xt brakes shipped from Jenson last night. They said early February but I guess they shipped early.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yep, mine shipped, too. $104 for XT is a hell if a deal. Mine were price matched to $123 at Nashbar

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    FYI, my XT brakes from Jensons, retail packaged, arrived today. Boxes (yay) and ferrules/blocks, but only one set of pads. They were metal, FC03S, so radiator pads, but I was a touch disappointed they didn't come with two sets of pads. Still, $5 more than OEM non radiator, and $15 more than SLX resin, I'll take them.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Hmm... does radiator = metal pads?

Are metal pads the default on XTs?

If so, I hadn't realised. My XTs have the radiator pads and I'd simply assumed they were organic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't know what is default. The slxes from bsc are resin pads with radiators, the Oem xts from Jenson are metal without a radiator.

Radiator doesn't imply metal. The pad material is listed on the back of the pad. Metal is supposed to be better for DH, which is my intended use.

I just wanted to let people know, since I was saying how much better retail packaged brakes were, and they aren't....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    FYI, my XT brakes from Jensons, retail packaged, arrived today. Boxes (yay) and ferrules/blocks, but only one set of pads. They were metal, FC03S, so radiator pads, but I was a touch disappointed they didn't come with two sets of pads. Still, $5 more than OEM non radiator, and $15 more than SLX resin, I'll take them.
    This just sounds like an oversight in packing your order. I'd contact Jenson and ask for the other set of pads. No harm in asking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I might give it a try. The brakes only came with one bag of bleeding blocks, in one box. In the other, there was only olives and ferrules...seemed a bit odd that shimano would pack the blocks ONLY in the front or rear box, and not both....suggesting that somebody may have been in there. I'll give them a call.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I might give it a try. The brakes only came with one bag of bleeding blocks, in one box. In the other, there was only olives and ferrules...seemed a bit odd that shimano would pack the blocks ONLY in the front or rear box, and not both....suggesting that somebody may have been in there. I'll give them a call.
    Mine arrived packed the same way - blocks in one box, olive and ferrule in another. Only one set of pads in each.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]

In case anyone is still looking...

Wiggle is selling the XT 785 IceTech discs for $115.45 per side plus 15% off (coupon code: 15EXTRA). Just picked up a set for $196.28 shipped to the US!

Wiggle | Shimano XT M785 Disc Brake Lever and PM Caliper | Disc Brakes

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks MondoRides, I just purchased these.

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MondoRides View Post
    Wiggle is selling the XT 785 IceTech discs for $115.45 per side plus 15% off (coupon code: 15EXTRA). Just picked up a set for $196.28 shipped to the US!

Wiggle | Shimano XT M785 Disc Brake Lever and PM Caliper | Disc Brakes
    also just hit this up! thanks! rep!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    i notice you can get front or front (left). obviously looking for the front left, but the rear doesn't have that option, it just says rear.. will these work on the right hand side? Or is it set up for left cause its from the UK?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by normarin View Post
    i notice you can get front or front (left). obviously looking for the front left, but the rear doesn't have that option, it just says rear.. will these work on the right hand side? Or is it set up for left cause its from the UK?
    Levers are reversed, so it works out if you buy a set. I swapped levers when I shortened the hoses.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anyone else have any current deals on XT BR-M785 Brakes? I have $200 bucks to spend that I would like to put down on these brakes. I'm trying to keep it at $200 or less if possible!

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Killowatt View Post
    Anyone else have any current deals on XT BR-M785 Brakes? I have $200 bucks to spend that I would like to put down on these brakes. I'm trying to keep it at $200 or less if possible!
    check out the wiggle deal with the 15extra coupon. should be less than 2 bills if the price and coupon are still good.

mtbr member
    coupon is dead btw

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Killowatt View Post
    bluesky still has the front for 89. I got the front from bluesky and the rear from jensen for $100

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    bluesky still has the front for 89. I got the front from bluesky and the rear from jensen for $100

Not seeing that Price at Jenson, it is $135 now

Todd

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast