Jamin, Applesause, No?

Dealextreme.com?

dealextreme.com has some good deals on bike parts. Specifically a set of brakes.

has anyone shopped there before? what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

no shoes no shirt no dice
    Never bought bike parts through them (aside from a handlebar flashlight mount) but have purchased numerous audio/video cables, batteries, chargers and high output LED flashlights and have been very pleased.

Some items go on backorder and may take 3-4 weeks to arrive - if this is an issue then pay attention to their stock before ordering.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Not sure brakes are a good idea.

I have ordered lots of things from them. Mostly been satisfied , Generally things are cheap and the quality is just okay. Also it often takes about a month from the time you place your order until you get it.

Bike brakes are not something I would consider getting from them. If you want mechanical disc breaks find a deal on Avid BB7, they are not that expensive and you don't need to worry about the quality and function, plus you won't need to wait forever to get them.
    TEX

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    +1 on the long shipping. Most items that I have purchased from them haven't lasted very long. I use to be a big fan of their flashlights and cheap li-ion batteries... I actually have a bunch of flashlights that I bought for small gifts but after my personal lights started burning up I ended up using the 10 or so gift ones. After a year I was down to two lights that worked intermediately.
    Killing it with close inspection.

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad View Post
    dealextreme.com has some good deals on bike parts. Specifically a set of brakes.

Thanks!
    I've ordered lots of small stuff from them and apart from the really slow delivery (4 weeks) was reasonably happy until... They actually shipped me a battery charger that was used, re packaged and was totally dead on arrival (it also took 4 weeks for delivery).

When I emailed them for a return they said they would give me a $2 discount on my next order. No return.

The charger was only worth 10 bucks so I really didn't care, but I won't buy anything from them again unless I can:
    • afford to wait for a month
    • can accept that it may not work when it arrives
    • am ok with not getting my money back

Save your money. Go to Vegas...

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member
    I bought something from them awhile ago, I think it was like a torch or something. I remember it taking like a month to arrive and being the wrong color or not working. Not very specific, just remember the service being ****; def wouldn't trust them with a set of brakes.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I only order throwaway items from DX- low value items that I expect to work for up to six months and then fail. With a 10-20% chance of the product not working at all. The max I would spend at DX is $30. I've ordered flashlights, batteries, compasses (a batch of 10 had 4 pointing in random directions), simple LED drivers, fans. Basically low value stuff that I can afford to have failures on.

I've made about 8-10 orders in total.

No way would I buy brakes from them, or any other critical part that involved safety.
    Last edited by womble; 08-16-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    I only order throwaway items from DX- low value items that I expect to work for up to six months and then fail. With a 10-20% chance of the product not working at all. The max I would spend at DX is $30. I've ordered flashlights, batteries, compasses (a batch of 10 had 4 pointing in random directions), simple LED drivers, fans. Basically low value stuff that I can afford to have failures on.

I've made about 8-10 orders in total.

No way would I buy brakes from them, or any other critical part that involved safety.
    I could not believe it when they started selling condoms. I find at least a 20% failure rate for anything I buy there....

You were searching for condoms on Deal Extreme?

Not sure about the brakes or the condoms but my flashlights always worked great. I've bought four flashlights through them (with batteries and chargers) and they have all been going strong for 2 years.

Meritline.com is similar to Dealextreme and I've heard their stuff is of better quality (never ordered from them yet to confirm)

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Van View Post
    You were searching for condoms on Deal Extreme?

Not sure about the brakes or the condoms but my flashlights always worked great. I've bought four flashlights through them (with batteries and chargers) and they have all been going strong for 2 years.

Meritline.com is similar to Dealextreme and I've heard their stuff is of better quality (never ordered from them yet to confirm)
    I always search the "What's new" page to see the new flashlights and led's. It's annoying when they get a big shipment of sex toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Baulz View Post
    I always search the "What's new" page to see the new flashlights and led's. It's annoying when they get a big shipment of sex toys.
    Ha Ha - I'll have to check that site out again for a good laugh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    excel sports is pretty good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Has any one ever cancelled there order before it was processed ? When i saw this on the 15th i ordered a set of brakes than later that day changed my mind and cancelled my order.

I checked today and status still shows pending,How long should it take for them to reverse paypal ? seems like it has been a little long and i will definitely think twice before ordering from them again.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad View Post

Thanks!
    I shop there a few times with no issues but never for bike parts