mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Deal on a 26" all mountain frame....?

I keep hearing that 26" wheel bikes are "dead". Why can't I find a deal on a bike or frame then? Looking for a FSR or VPP frame around 6" travel. Thanks!
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

mtbr member

Steepandcheap is having a MTB sale. A few frames available, including the SB66.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Steepandcheap is having a MTB sale. A few frames available, including the SB66.
    Thanks, saw that, not really into the SB66 because it's not active under braking (AFAIK).
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008

Have you looked at the el guapo? The retail price is pretty damn good. You'll need to wait for Santa Cruz to do another vpls; jenson and price point don't stock the tracer any more so you've probably missed the boat on new vpp frames. Competitive might blow out some al blurs again, but they haven't in a yr at least

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    Have you looked at the el guapo? The retail price is pretty damn good. You'll need to wait for Santa Cruz to do another vpls; jenson and price point don't stock the tracer any more so you've probably missed the boat on new vpp frames. Competitive might blow out some al blurs again, but they haven't in a yr at least
    Hi, thank you. I've seen the el guapo, it looks like a very reasonable deal around $900, any good sources on it? Colorado Cyclist has a large nomad C for $2000 on their website, at bit out of my price range, but is it a good deal...?
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    afaik the el guapo is only available directly from titus/planet-x. Call them, their website is broken. I think for 1070 or how ever much they want with the CCDB, you cannot get a better new frame+shock without some crazy fall clearance sale. It's a little on the heavy side but you have to pay to play in the weight weenie world. 2k for a Nomad C is a pretty decent price; however IIRC the VPLS price was less. Oh and I'm 90% sure the "switch" tech in the SB66 is "active" under braking. The frame is way overpriced at retail but the CL price is decent. Check the yeti forum, it gets a lot of love. The 575 is not active (which IMO was a better ride). I wasn't impressed when I rode the SB when it first came out at the retail price; it's not a bad frame, I just love VPP and got a carbine instead.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Hard to beat an El Guapo for a budget-priced high-performing frame. I've owned two and one of my riding buds is still loving his. Have to buy direct from On One UK.

B.Ike
    ^^usa w/free shippihttp://www.planet-x-usa.com/product-p/frtitelguv3.htmng:

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks guys, sent them an email.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

mtbr member
    Planet X USA seems to be out of most large El Guapo frames. Any idea if they will bring in more?

Any decent links for reviews on the bike?

Braaap
    We are clearing out Knolly Endorphins to make room for the 27.5" train. $1700 with a Fox Float CTD, $1950 with a CCDB Air CS.

That's a great deal on the El Guapo with a CCDB. I don't have any expedience with the frame but I imaging you get what you pay for.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I ride an El Guapo and honestly love it. I have ridden it from xc to dh and it handles it all. I would spring for the CCDB air instead of the monarch, I had the monarch and didn't really like it. Swapped mine for a RS Vivid Air and love it.....plus you will hear " Whoa, what kind of bike is that?" quite often.