mtbr member
    Aug 2007

CRC strange request

I just placed and order with Chain Reaction Cycles and they sent me an mail asking for scans of my credit card and credit card statement. This seems a little extreme and fishy. The email is below. Anyone else experience this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your order.

As part of our security policy we must confirm that we are sending the order to the registered card holder. This is necessary due to an increase in internet card fraud and we take the issue of card security very seriously.

We therefore request that you e-mail a scanned copy/digital picture of your credit card used to place this order (blanking out the first 12 digits of the long card number) and a copy of your credit card statement (with the purchase information removed if you wish).

When sending documents via email, please ensure to send this information in PDF/JPEG format, as we cannot accept zip files.

Please note that if you cannot email these documents, you can fax them to us on 0044 (0)2893 324868

If your delivery address is different to your billing address please clarify this and if possible send us company letterhead or another document linking you to that address.

Once you have supplied these details and we have completed our security confirmation process we will process your order to the warehouse for dispatch. Please note that when placing future orders you will not be asked for confirmation again.

We would like to apologise for the extra inconvenience to yourself but we are sure you can understand we need to take steps to protect both yourself and Chain Reaction Cycles from potential card fraud.

If you have any question feel free to e-mail or phone on 0044 (0)2893 345504.

Please note that if we have not received confirmation in 3 working days your order will be cancelled and a refund to the card will be processed.

Many Thanks,

Fraud Prevention Team

Tel: 0(044) 2893 345504 Fax: 0(044) 2893 324868
    Chain Reaction Cycles Ltd.
    Kilbride Rd, Doagh, Ballyclare, BT39 0QA, United Kingdom
    The World's Largest Online BikeStore

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Order with PayPal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    similar thread over in bike forums road bike section.

Do not do it. Never e-mail anything related to your CC.

They absolutely do not need any of it. Scammers use your statement to validate themselves to the CC company with your recent purchases.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've come across this before when I made a large purchase at an online electronics store. It's a security measure that companies use to make sure a customer is legit. You know, to make sure you did not steal someone's credit card or cc number to buy a bunch of biking gear. I actually feel pretty comfortable with it. It doesn't seem any different than a cashier checking my signature against the one on my CC or asking to see my DL to me. But that is just me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I really don't see anything wrong with the request. They're allowing for sensitive info to be omitted. But I think it's futile. Do they have any idea how easy it is create legit looking forgeries? Especially if scanned. Too easy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I had to do the same thing with Pricepoint the first time I ordered (I'm in Singapore). It's no big deal to me. But yeah, I try to use PayPal whenever possible. It's just more convenient, and the added security is a bonus.
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Check with your credit card company and see what they think.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I used to work for a company that supplied equipment to contractors, and we had to physically scan every credit card - no phone or faxed cards - due to a number of unauthorized uses contractors were pulling on us. The rule came from the credit card companies, not us, and we further protected ourselves by photocopying the driver's license and requiring a handwritten authorization if it was a business card.

That being said, sending information like that online seems shady. There should be other ways to confirm that it's your card. I'd go with the PayPal recommendation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I always use paypal when I order from CRC. I think there has been several threads about issues with their online security.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cjdugaw
    Please note that if we have not received confirmation in 3 working days your order will be cancelled and a refund to the card will be processed.
    I like how they have already processed payment before doing this validation... If your card has already been billed and they have your money why havn't they shipped it I'd be .... with them! If they are worried why don't they get the CC to authorize it with you by your CC contacting you. My wife gets periodic calls from her CC if there is a large purchase before they pay it out.

I'd bring it up with your CC and see what they think

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I've done it a bunch of times when ordering from out of country. I don't see the problem- if it worries you, you can call up the customer (on their website) hotline and check it's the right fax number.
    Last edited by womble; 10-22-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    why dont you give the number they've left you a ring, and then give the number of crc (is you can find it, i havnt looked) a ring and see what they both say

mtbr member
    Technically, Visa and Mastercard prohibit asking for ID for transaction. Per retailers contracts, the retailer can be fined for denying a sale based on not showing your ID. Basically, if they ask for ID and you say no, they can't stop you from using your credit card. If they do, you can report them to Visa or Mastercard.

Sounds strange, but I use to sell merchant services so this is part of the rules I'd have to go over with the retailer.

You wanna go ridin?
    I'd tell them I've got your scans right here: 'swingin' personally.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you fall for that BS there's this Nigerian guy with a good deal for you ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I don't think it was a scam, but I still didn't send them the information. The fact that email is not secure is reason alone not to do it. I called them and they verified a few things like name, address, and bank that issued card. It wasn't that big of a deal, but next time I will use paypal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Paypal

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I got the same request from CRC for my first order, except they wanted copies of a utility bill.

They were almost completely unresponsive until I got the fax through to them, and the order was completely stalled in the interim. I'd try giving them a call, but I would guess that the request is legit and you won't get any parts until your resolve the issue.

Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to order from CRC again. Great prices, extremely well packed and all items as described and in the right quantities (it was a big order).

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by adept1
    I had to do the same thing with Pricepoint the first time I ordered (I'm in Singapore). It's no big deal to me. But yeah, I try to use PayPal whenever possible. It's just more convenient, and the added security is a bonus.

JensonUSA also asks for scans/pics of the card and ID for us overseas shoppers.

Sexy Mother Fakir
    When I made my first order with CRC a few years back they asked for a scan of my Drivers License. I didn't mind doing that, order went through fine. A scan of the CC is kinda sketchy though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    first time i wanted to order from go-ride, they wanted me to jump through the same hoops. i had just finished moving so my CC didn't match my DL so they wouldn't let me order.