mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Crank Bros Cobalt wheels for $399

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thank you GoBuffs for the info about the Crank Bro Cobalt wheelset. I bought them last night and will recieve them on the 19th. The only color they had was silver, but that color will go with anything. Thanks for the money saving info. Doral

mtbr member
    Can someone identify what year and
    what model those Cobalt wheels are?
    How much was the shipment?

Deere Rider
    Is this the 29 inch wheelset and why would the diameter not be listed? Tried the email link on their website and it failed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It's a 26 inch wheel.

Year model is unknown, but it's easy to switch out the freehubs if the wheel has the older model.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uzisuicide View Post
    Can someone identify what year and
    what model those Cobalt wheels are?
    How much was the shipment?
    I will post this friday 8/19/11 about what year they are and if they have the upgraded cassette body. I have these Colbalt wheels on 2 of my Titus bikes now, and i had to upgrade each rear wheel with the 2nd design cassette hub, so i know what to look for. The shipping price from Oregon to Long Beach, Ca was $35. The only color they have is silver.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just ordered a set. $35 to San Jose. Titus rep replied as they are 2010 wheelset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie29er View Post
    Just ordered a set. $35 to San Jose. Titus rep replied as they are 2010 wheelset.
    Thank you for the info.
    Best month for MTB is June!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by doralswheels View Post
    I will post this friday 8/19/11 about what year they are and if they have the upgraded cassette body. I have these Colbalt wheels on 2 of my Titus bikes now, and i had to upgrade each rear wheel with the 2nd design cassette hub, so i know what to look for. The shipping price from Oregon to Long Beach, Ca was $35. The only color they have is silver.
    I recieved my wheels today. First, i put them on the truing machine. Both were within .003, so i was happy about that. Then i pulled the cassette hub off the rear wheel to check if it had been upgraded. Thats when i found out it hadn't been upgraded. They come with the 1st design cassette hub. I then put the wheel in my van and drove down to Laguna Beach, Ca. and had the very nice tec by the name of Tim Young upgrade the cassette. They are very nice people to deal with. He thought he had seen me somewere before and i reminded him i had just brought in another rear wheel last week. Anyway, besides the serial number, there is a manuf. date. Mine listed as L09HDK which told me they were made in Dec. 2009 which is very close to what Titus said was the year of the wheels. So if you ordered a wheel set, be sure and send the rear wheel to Crank Bro to be upgraded. You can tell if it has been upgraded by pulling the axle cap off of the cassette side and with a pulling and twisting motion pull the cassete hub off. Then look at the inside where the bearing sets. If yours is round it needs to be upgraded. If it is a hex shape, it is the 2nd design. I will try to post pictures soon, so this will be easier to understand. The very nice tec pulled my cassette hub off and after looking at it, he threw it in the trash and when he wasn't looking, i dug it out and saved it. Brand new bearings are worth saving. Well mine is ready to ride this saturday, so i better get some sleep.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Tested: Crank Brothers Warranty Department | The Straight Dirt | MountainBike.com

Found the pictures of the 2 different hubs. No concern for the product since CB has a great warranty coverage. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by doralswheels View Post
    I recieved my wheels today. First, i put them on the truing machine. Both were within .003, so i was happy about that. Then i pulled the cassette hub off the rear wheel to check if it had been upgraded. Thats when i found out it hadn't been upgraded. They come with the 1st design cassette hub. I then put the wheel in my van and drove down to Laguna Beach, Ca. and had the very nice tec by the name of Tim Young upgrade the cassette. They are very nice people to deal with. He thought he had seen me somewere before and i reminded him i had just brought in another rear wheel last week. Anyway, besides the serial number, there is a manuf. date. Mine listed as L09HDK which told me they were made in Dec. 2009 which is very close to what Titus said was the year of the wheels. So if you ordered a wheel set, be sure and send the rear wheel to Crank Bro to be upgraded. You can tell if it has been upgraded by pulling the axle cap off of the cassette side and with a pulling and twisting motion pull the cassete hub off. Then look at the inside where the bearing sets. If yours is round it needs to be upgraded. If it is a hex shape, it is the 2nd design. I will try to post pictures soon, so this will be easier to understand. The very nice tec pulled my cassette hub off and after looking at it, he threw it in the trash and when he wasn't looking, i dug it out and saved it. Brand new bearings are worth saving. Well mine is ready to ride this saturday, so i better get some sleep.

Does your axle come out sometimes when you take the freehub off? I noticed that when I take mine off the axle sometimes comes with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE View Post
    Does your axle come out sometimes when you take the freehub off? I noticed that when I take mine off the axle sometimes comes with it.
    Yes, the axle will come out with the cassette hub. The way to prevent this is to make sure the o'rings on the cassette end of the axle have a little lub on them, so the o'rings will slide thru the cassette hub. If yours wants to come out all together, just push it back in and lube the o'rings first. Then with a pulling and twisting motion, the cassette hub will come out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Check the MTBR reviews on these wheels before buying. Not so good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Huck. With all due respect, if you use these wheels as they were designed for, they are very good. On the Crank Bro webb site, they give sugestions as to which of their wheels sets to use for different types on riding. I own 3 sets of this Colbalt model and the first set purchased about 1.5 years ago are still true and holding up very well. I don't do big jumps with them, just cross country type riding. Just my 2 cents worth.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Most Crank Brothers' products are garbage but work well while they work...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Most Crank Brothers' products are garbage but work well while they work...
    False

Been using CB products for years and never had a problem

DB4L
    May 2008
    Been running eggies for years no problem, just grease every season.
    Shop Mechanic at Bikes Unlimited Williamsburg
    Diamondback and Raleigh Fan

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE View Post
    False

Been using CB products for years and never had a problem

Well, it'd probably be more accurate to say that the majority of CB products do not fail. But that they have a much higher failure rate than their most significant competitors.

Just do a quick forum search for any comparison between CB pedals and Time or Shimano. Lots of reported EB failures, and failures of Time or Shimano seem to run in single digits.

Or look at Joplin seatpost reports vs Gravity Dropper (or even the more recent KS posts). GD had a bad run about three years ago with cracks in their seatposts, they changed their design, and it's been quiet on the reliability front since.

Given that Crank Brothers has a high reputation for customer support, many people are prepared to overlook the relatively high failure rate of their products, and the majority of people never experience problems in the first place. But I personally woudn't buy a product from a company that seems more geared towards making pretty looking products than it is to making reliable products. Having read a recent interview with one of their founders (along the lines of this) has pretty much convinced me that they're more about aesthetics than function and rigorous testing.

FWIW, I've not used their products much for the reasons above. I rode EBs for a couple of months before deciding that I didn't like their tendency to pop your foot out during pedal strikes, the sloppy feeling compared to Times, and a friend having his EB SLs explode during a ride.
    Last edited by womble; 08-22-2011 at 03:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    @WOMBLE

I'm glad when someone speaks common sense.
    Killing it with close inspection.